Visitors to Hampton Online may be interested in a proposal from St Mary's Church to open a Church Free School at The Oldfield Centre, Oldfield Road.

The proposal promises:

- dedication to ensuring that children of all abilities reach their full potential

- commitment to educational excellence

- a small school where every child is known and valued

- Christian ethos, but without regard to religious affiliation or church attendance

- emphasis on the arts

- teaching guided by the National Curriculum

- no fees

The one form entry (30 places) school would be sponsored by the London Diocese Board for Schools which supports 149 schoold in London - 6 in the Borough of Richmond such as St Mary's and St Peter's in Teddington.

Priority admission would be allocated to those who live in, or south of, Oldfield Road/Station Road, without regard to religious affiliation or church attendance. Expressions of intention from parents who have children who would like to be enrolled in reception in 2013 and 2014 will be collected.

There will be two open days to which all are welcome: Thursday 12 January at 9.15am-12.15pm and Saturday 14 January from 9.15am-12.15pm. These will be drop-in sessions with short presentations every hour at a quarter to the hour.

Further details are available at: www.hampton-church-school.org.uk

Views: 4525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Richard.

How do you envisage four year olds on scooters, their parents pushing buggies plus the older unaccompanied year groups all sharing the walk to school?
I think this question has to be asked to both school proposals, not just the Maharishi. They both would have the same problem. That is If you think there's a problem. From what I have seen by taking my son to the juniors on the odd occasion. Percy Rd is more dangerous due to speeding vehicles and bus's than Oldfield Rd.

KerryW said:
Thanks Richard.

How do you envisage four year olds on scooters, their parents pushing buggies plus the older unaccompanied year groups all sharing the walk to school?
I know it's been mentioned about the black hole before on this forum, so I went on the the Church proposals website and from their map, it looks as if I am out of the complete area. We have 3 infant state choices here, Buckingham, Carlisle and Hampton. Everybody wants to send their child to either Carlisle or Hampton infants. Not many parents want to send their child to Buckingham and it's probably their 2nd choice if they have to go to it. But if the Church school goes ahead, and as I am not in the catchment area from the map, my child might have to go to Buckingham. This is one thing I do not want, as I want he best for my child like anyone else. With the Church school proposal, it looks like I won't get it.
Marc - I think the church school children would mostly be accompanied to school until year 5 or 6 (as it tends to be at the juniors) but secondary school children are usually unaccompanied. As lovely as teenagers are (I have one of my very own), I'm not sure I'd be too happy to allow my 5 year old to scoot down the road whilst negotiating a group of year 11 boys for instance.

Most of the local, and out of borough, secondary schools start much earlier (8.30 often) than the primary schools.

Would be interested to hear both schools views.

In response to D Homer, can I ask whether you have been to have a look around Buckingham School? My son is in Year 1, and absolutely loves it. It is clearly a multicultural school with children from many backgrounds and with many different needs, but my wife and I see that as a positive. I am also a parent governor, so to avoid any allegations of being partisan I would simply encourage anyone looking for schools to go and have a look around rather than listen to what may be popular opinion, sadly quite often relayed by those who have never set foot in the place either.

Clive. I have looked over Buckingham and did not like.

From the map there are 2 areas:

Blue Priority Area 1 - Hampton South  (Black Hole)
 Yellow  Priority Area 2 - Hampton

Unfortunately this does cover Loxley Rd, Wordsworth Rd, Masefield Rd, Byron Close, Rectory Grove, Dean Rd, Bishops Grove, Chapter Way, Pigeon Lane, Roy Grove and Clock Close. If you live in these areas that are also part of Hampton, you will not get in.

Debs

Clive said:

In response to D Homer, can I ask whether you have been to have a look around Buckingham School? My son is in Year 1, and absolutely loves it. It is clearly a multicultural school with children from many backgrounds and with many different needs, but my wife and I see that as a positive. I am also a parent governor, so to avoid any allegations of being partisan I would simply encourage anyone looking for schools to go and have a look around rather than listen to what may be popular opinion, sadly quite often relayed by those who have never set foot in the place either.

Kerry

But maybe with the Maharishi school, older children might be much more calmer and thoughtful. Did you speak to the head at the meeting? He had a very calm nature about him. Maybe that's TM for you.

KerryW said:
Marc - I think the church school children would mostly be accompanied to school until year 5 or 6 (as it tends to be at the juniors) but secondary school children are usually unaccompanied. As lovely as teenagers are (I have one of my very own), I'm not sure I'd be too happy to allow my 5 year old to scoot down the road whilst negotiating a group of year 11 boys for instance.

Most of the local, and out of borough, secondary schools start much earlier (8.30 often) than the primary schools.

Would be interested to hear both schools views.

I think it's only reasonable to appreciate that any school that is successful in gaining the Oldfield site as their premises will need to think very seriously about the walk up Oldfield Road. I don't believe there is any pavement on the Junior School field & Oldfield Special School side of the road, so I would imagine this would need to be addressed.

But surely this is very specific detail, that although good to mention and make the schools aware of, shouldn't require a full & binding response until the site is acquired. Derek Winterburn stated in a comment earlier "At this stage proposers are discouraged from progressing very far with plans for the building" I would assume this would be similar/same for specific issues of traffic as well.

I thought once a school has been given the go ahead there is a consultaion period, if this is the case I would assume at this point these tricky issues would need to be addressed in consultation with the successful bid and council.

I can't remember off hand if there is any pavement going all the way along the Upper Sunbury Road to the Oldfield site, but if there is perhaps seperate entrances for secondary and primary could be an option?

I'd like to remind everyone that although on a much smaller scale and not generally at rush hour, Hampton Junior School pupils and a Football club have been walking up to use the Junior School field (next door to the proposed new free school) on a regular basis, the school certainly for many years, I would be interested to know if there have been any accidents relating to the road and traffic in all the years that they have been doing this?

I appreciate that either school will generate more children and road calming measures of course need to be put in place to accommodate this change.

Tabitha 

You are quite correct there is a formal consultation phase for any accepted bid, in the autumn. 

I agree that there will need to be pavement along the road onto the site. It would be possible to separate out pedestrian access and vehicular access (even without the access road). The pedestrians might enter at the most eastern part of the site. 

Derek

Hi - our vision is for a local school.

We began with trying the help the parents in Hampton South. We are deliberately putting a ceiling on our numbers at 30 per year, because there is no under-provision in the Hampton / Hampton Hill quindrat - which includes Buckingham.

We concluded that our priority areas should not include the area around Buckingham (- if it is 'too far' from Hampton S to Buckingham the converse must also be true.) 

I am sorry that although you are attracted to the Church of England school we could not prioritise a place for you. It may be that you would get a place, but I could not offer any guarantee. 

Derek Winterburn

Vicar of St Mary's Parish Church, Hampton. 

D Homer said:

I know it's been mentioned about the black hole before on this forum, so I went on the the Church proposals website and from their map, it looks as if I am out of the complete area. We have 3 infant state choices here, Buckingham, Carlisle and Hampton. Everybody wants to send their child to either Carlisle or Hampton infants. Not many parents want to send their child to Buckingham and it's probably their 2nd choice if they have to go to it. But if the Church school goes ahead, and as I am not in the catchment area from the map, my child might have to go to Buckingham. This is one thing I do not want, as I want he best for my child like anyone else. With the Church school proposal, it looks like I won't get it.

Derek Winterburn said:

Hi - our vision is for a local school.

We began with trying the help the parents in Hampton South. We are deliberately putting a ceiling on our numbers at 30 per year, because there is no under-provision in the Hampton / Hampton Hill quindrat - which includes Buckingham.

We concluded that our priority areas should not include the area around Buckingham (- if it is 'too far' from Hampton S to Buckingham the converse must also be true.) 

I am sorry that although you are attracted to the Church of England school we could not prioritise a place for you. It may be that you would get a place, but I could not offer any guarantee. 

Derek Winterburn

Vicar of St Mary's Parish Church, Hampton. 

D Homer said:

Mr Winterburn
That is totally unfair. I feel I am part of the Hampton community and am being deprived and discriminated from the complete choice of schools. I was not completely sold on the Maharishi proposal, but it will now get my vote.

I think if the Church proposal went from infants to 6th form like the Maharishi and included the whole of Hampton, thus making it more inclusive, it might be more appealing. At the moment we only have one secondary school, so only one local choice at secondary level. If you look at the Oldfield site, its quite large and has a lot of potential.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service