Bringing People Together
About African Revival
African Revival is a growing, ambitious charity with around 20 staff based at offices in London, Uganda and Zambia.We believe education is the key to overcoming poverty, and our vision is an Africa where every child has equal access to quality education. Known for our holistic, responsive and innovative approach, we work with primary and nursery schools in Uganda and Zambia, two of the poorest countries in the world, to allow every child to fulfil their potential. We don’t just build classrooms, we empower whole communities – pupils, teachers and parents – to transform government and parent-run schools into thriving learning environments that build brighter, better futures. Established in 2004 we are now looking for a step-change in growth in income to deliver our strategic vision.
African Revival is holding a sponsored fundraising walk on Sunday 23rd November at 10am and requires volunteer marshals to assist on the day.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Keeping our walkers safe: you will be posted along a beautiful scenic route, making sure our walkers are heading in the right direction. This may include marshalling people over a busy road crossing
- Providing assistance to participants: this might entail giving directions and informing them of distances to go
- Giving moral support: we'd love you to encourage our participants along the way and keep morale high
Our volunteers will need to arrive an hour before the event (it starts at 10am and we will need you for 3-5 hours on the day) to attend a briefing presentation, covering the route, health and safety, actions in case of emergency etc. Volunteers will then travel to their allocated part of the route and should be in place until instructed by the organiser. This will likely be after it is confirmed all participants have passed through their location. The walk will start at Hampton Hill Cricket Club, cross through Bushy Park, past Hampton Wick Cricket Club, across Hampton Court Road, up through Canbury Gardens and then follows the river path up to Ham House where the walk finishes.
This event will be raising much needed funds for our Jumpstart! appeal which will be supporting vital nursery education in Northern Uganda. We are very fortunate to be receiving UK Aid Match funding during this appeal. This means every pound raised will be matched by the UK government.
In return for volunteering with us, you will receive the following:
- A free woolly hat and Christmas pudding!
- A chance to get involved with a fun family event in the local community
- Great charity/volunteering/event experience on your CV
- The knowledge that you have contributed to vital education work in Uganda
The main skill we require is enthusiasm! Volunteers with first aid skills are also highly desirable.