Best Book and Best Album of the Decade - your views needed!

Dave from the FounditGuide has asked me to post asking people for their best book and best album of the decade. So what do people think? The best recently written book I have read is How Proust Can Change Your Life by Alain de Botton which is enjoyable to read but also quite insightful. But I doubt whether this would exactly be a mainstream choice. Alan Bennett's The Uncommon Reader is another book I enjoyed, but beyond that I mainly read books not written in the last decade!

As for music, I fear I must confess to never having bought an album, so I won't even go there. Nonetheless I am sure that all of you have some great Album of the Decade suggestions ...

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My best book of the decade by a country mile is Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts (2003). An absolutely stunning book, although not for the faint hearted in places. Once I'd finished it I had real trouble finding something else to read that even came close. It's that good.

Reading the blurb about the subject matter you might think it might only appeal to men, but my wife read it after me and couldn't put it down either.

I'd recommend it to everyone.
So far on the books front, we've had 'Piers Morgan' The Insider, lots for Harry Potter and the The Divinci Code and lots for James Frey's 'A Million Little Peices. On the album front, The Strokes, Richard Hawley, Madness and The Decemberists. Your help is needed. Dave
Interested to know what you liked about this. It sounds interesting, but some more about your reaction to it would be fascinating.

Clive Scoggins said:
My best book of the decade by a country mile is Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts (2003). An absolutely stunning book, although not for the faint hearted in places. Once I'd finished it I had real trouble finding something else to read that even came close. It's that good.

Reading the blurb about the subject matter you might think it might only appeal to men, but my wife read it after me and couldn't put it down either.

Forgot to mention, Best Film of the Decade as well...
At the risk of adding a tone of negativity - in the film category is there room for 'Most anticipated yet ultimately disappointing film'? Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
Gareth Roberts said:
At the risk of adding a tone of negativity - in the film category is there room for 'Most anticipated yet ultimately disappointing film'? Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
Gareth,

I agree with you on the Indiana Jones Film, what a waste of money.
I found it an extremely powerful book. Not only because it's billed as a true story of the man's life in India, but it's excellently written. Pictures painted with words, is the only way to describe it. I also found the storyline compelling, in the way one man's life could encompass such highs and crashing lows over a relatively short space of time, with him overcoming each one.

paul johnston said:
Interested to know what you liked about this. It sounds interesting, but some more about your reaction to it would be fascinating.

Clive Scoggins said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service