So, how many of us have had "Home Choice Promotions Ltd" on the doorstep this evening?

Claiming that the company was fascinated as to how our houses still remain standing since they were built "before the war", this spiel was - in my humble and very personal opinion, a "neat little way round cold calling", as I told the sales rep who banged on our door - at 8pm.

I hope they do get in touch with me; I've been a consumer journalist off and on for 35yrs+.

If I have to call a little local meeting, I will. If I have to engage the services of our lovely PCSOs,  I will.

I've done 100 stories on companies such as these - who already have complaints made to neighbouring police forces, by the way.

And yes, that is all simply a personal opinion. But I do not approve of strangers banging on doors. especially those of my older and more vulnerable neighbours.

Oh - and do not trust a company who cannot spell...........................

Views: 601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/andura-guard-london-c2271...

See this link for more on companies - look out for the name Protecco, too - who seem to be targeting our area.

Reported the company to CAB. Their response:

"As the trader's actions could be considered a criminal offence under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, the information you have provided will be passed to Richmond –upon-Thames Trading Standards for further consideration.  The case details will also be placed on a central data base that can be accessed by all the other Trading Standards throughout the UK."

I don't understand what is and isn't cold calling? We get so many Anglian glass, charity muggers, the ex offenders selling dish cloths, the fish seller etc etc....aren't these all cold callers?

Yes.............. that's why I wrote "Cold calling or NOT cold calling."

Consumer laws tried to tighten up on this practice; companies find ways around that.

I'm very happy to see the ex-offenders' project; it's only once a year, it's a great scheme and they - here's the essential difference - don't want to get my details on a mailing list, nor turn up at a later date with devious tactics to get me spending hundreds or thousands of pounds on unnecessary building work 

When I speak to elderly people in the area, I hear that some have lost considerable savings to these bandits. We need to turn the tables and intimidate some of the cold callers for a change!

The charity muggers are dreadful, signing you up on your door step for direct debits! I've had the ex-offenders much more than once a year and I used to tolerate them until the last guy started mouthing off at me because I didn't buy anything, shouting about how our cars had 10 plates and must have cost a bit!

I tell the charity lot that I'm much LESS likely to support them if they come to my door or stop me in the street. I work almost entirely with the third sector and constantly advise clients that this is a very bad idea. 

It's a shame to take against the ex-offenders' project due to only one person. And I have no earthly idea what the significance of having 10 plates is!

Sorry to break the news but the ex-offenders programme is also often a scam

https://www.thamesvalleyalert.co.uk/da/77241/Door_to_door_sales_sca...

Lynne Walsh said:

I tell the charity lot that I'm much LESS likely to support them if they come to my door or stop me in the street. I work almost entirely with the third sector and constantly advise clients that this is a very bad idea. 

It's a shame to take against the ex-offenders' project due to only one person. And I have no earthly idea what the significance of having 10 plates is!

Well it's not just that one person, I dislike the rip-off prices for basically tat, and the guys are always so incredibly pushy, they are practically inside your front door and just won't leave. He was extremely rude and his attitude was threatening, if he had behaved like that to you, you might also have been put off. 10 plates refers to the year the car was bought, so he assumed that we were rich because our cars only date from 2010. If I had been on my own, or was an elderly person, I would have been very frightened.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service