Just a quick note to say that TfL have launched a further consultation on their plans for Crossrail 2. Personally, i'm very pleased to say that their proposals confirm plans for Crossrail 2 to come through Hampton station, providing an additional 2 trains per hour into Central London.

They will retain the existing SW Trains services, so there will be 4 trains per hour in peak times into Waterloo, with a further 2 Crossrail services heading via Victoria. In off-peak, there will be 2 trains to Waterloo, and 2 Crossrail. It's not clear whether the current (dismal) one train per hour Sunday service will be changed. It appears that there will be some station upgrade work as a result, but i'm not sure if that will be at Hampton.

One thing that isn't addressed, is whether changes will be made to the level crossing. With 6 trains per hour in each direction during peak times, there are likely to be extremely troublesome traffic issues generated by the Crossrail 2 services.

You can read about the plans for the Shepperton branch here:

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/crossrail2/october2015/user_upload...

Just a shame it won't be finished until 2030!

I would urge residents to respond to the consultation praising/raising concerns as and where appropriate.

Views: 1457

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

God help us!  I'm pleased you're pleased, but I suspect for most this is bad news, but I guess as long as some anorak gets excited at the prospect or some little commuter may get to the office a little easier, then screw everything else.

We already put up with a whole load of BS from this wretched, dirty, over priced, uncomfortable train service, the thickheads that run it now are completely FUBARing Hampton with their absurd crossing downtime.  Why do we need Crossrail here, it hard to believe it will make a significant difference to anyone's travel plans and can only make things worse for Hampton? 

A lot can happen between now and 2030, let's hope this gets dumped along with other barmy nonsense!

I'm not sure why an improved train service could be considered "bad news" by anyone, particularly when there doesn't appear to be any disruption planned here in Hampton - just more trains.

I am neither an anorak, or someone who commutes on the train daily. I am, however, a local resident looking forward to more frequent services. The one train per hour arrangement we have on Sundays is simply not good enough and results in more cars on the roads (mine included) because it's not possible to conveniently use public transport.

As for the level crossing - I agree that it causes disruption, and it's something that appears to have been overlooked in the consultation. I have raised my concerns about this in my response to TfL, to our local councillors, and to our MP.

You said it. More trains, more crossing downtime, more delays, more congestion, more traffic jams, more bad tempered motorists = bad news!  

I hope you have more success, nobody seems particularly bothered about the crossing downtime and the high risks and dangers to pedestrians or road users as a consequence, if they are they're not letting on.

I'm not sure why the Sunday schedule is now more inconvenient than before, whatever the schedule operating doesn't one plan accordingly?  I suspect no matter how many trains were working someone's still going to feel inconvenienced.

Don't take it personally, didn't suggest you were an anorak or a commuter.

I'm guessing the level crossing has to be down for a certain amount of time per train for safety reasons - likely set down by Network Rail rather than South West Trains. Probably better that way that then occasional teenager being flattened by the 07:20.....!

The consultation is a good opportunity to flag up the traffic issues caused by the existing crossing arrangements, and how they'll be dramatically worsened by an impoved train service, unless steps are taken to modify the traffic flows, crossing arrangements etc. The key thing for me is that they address the crossing issues, not abandon the train improvements.

As for Sundays - I can always plan when i'm going, just not always when i'm coming back. It's rather frustrating to wait 59 minutes at Waterloo or Wimbledon for a train if you have an irritating habit - like me - of missing most return trains by a minute!
Thanks for posting this. I hadn't made the connection between CrossRail 2 and its effect on the Shepperton branch.

Chris

Obviously safety is vital, but they do seem to leave the traffic barriers down for a long time and it is easy to get the impression that their approach is: who cares how long the barriers are down as long as there is no risk of a train being delayed. More trains will obviously significantly increase the issues, but I would be interested to know what measures you think could be taken to mitigate the problem. Obviously if we all used our cars a lot less that would help, but things don't seem to be going in that direction :-)

Chris Vinson said:

I'm guessing the level crossing has to be down for a certain amount of time per train for safety reasons - likely set down by Network Rail rather than South West Trains. Probably better that way that then occasional teenager being flattened by the 07:20.....!

The consultation is a good opportunity to flag up the traffic issues caused by the existing crossing arrangements, and how they'll be dramatically worsened by an impoved train service, unless steps are taken to modify the traffic flows, crossing arrangements etc. The key thing for me is that they address the crossing issues, not abandon the train improvements.

As for Sundays - I can always plan when i'm going, just not always when i'm coming back. It's rather frustrating to wait 59 minutes at Waterloo or Wimbledon for a train if you have an irritating habit - like me - of missing most return trains by a minute!
I doubt the current barrier timings have anything to do with avoiding train delays, and more to do with safety - although i'm happy to be corrected if others know more.

As for suggestions for how things might be improved, apart from building a new bridge (which I don't think would be practical) the only alternative I can think up is closing the crossing entirely, and altering the traffic flows/road layout so that traffic has to use the existing bridge at the other end of the station. I know this would have a massive impact on traffic/parking etc, but i'm afraid I don't have any better ideas!

If this is going to go ahead eventually how about lowering the track gently sloping between fulwell and Kempton by half height of train, raise a low sloping bridge over track where crossing is now so you have a gentle sloping bridge over track, trains can come and go with no interference of the road system, trains would be lower down so station platform would need lowering too but many stations are lower than surrounding roads, then the noise level would be cut of the extra trains too. Road system would flow better. Okay nothing ever is that simple in real life but I am sure there will be a way that this can be worked out so not to impact to much on the traffic of Hampton.

A really great solution! If it helps just one person from being 'inconvenienced' then it's probably well worth it.

On the other hand could it be considered as another Rail project that's an utter waste of time and money or is that being too cynical?

Attached below is a copy of the letter from Network Rail regarding the level crossing downtime, banal isn't it! In the past 40, 30, 20, 10 years or even the last couple, how many times has a train skidded, slipped or failed to stop because of 'leaves' on the line at Hampton?  No prizes for the correct answer...Once, twice, thrice, 10x, 20x, NEVER?

Chris Vinson said:

I doubt the current barrier timings have anything to do with avoiding train delays, and more to do with safety - although i'm happy to be corrected if others know more.

As for suggestions for how things might be improved, apart from building a new bridge (which I don't think would be practical) the only alternative I can think up is closing the crossing entirely, and altering the traffic flows/road layout so that traffic has to use the existing bridge at the other end of the station. I know this would have a massive impact on traffic/parking etc, but i'm afraid I don't have any better ideas!
I'm not sure increased rail services would be considered a waste of money by anyone who has experienced London's rail system bursting at the seams in recent years. Indeed, the number of rail journeys in the UK has doubled since the late 90s, and Waterloo is the country's busiest station.

Heather - your suggestion sounds plausible, but I dread to think how disruptive it would be to dig out the existing trackbed. The line would need to be completely closed for months - probably not something that would be very popular!

I think the only alternatives would be diverting traffic over the existing bridge, or putting up with increased crossing down-time (likely to become very frustrating, very quickly!) as I can't think where another bridge would go.

This is amazing news and so needed. The platform is becoming increasingly busy on a morning, even when i travel outside of core/peak times. There are quite a few mornings the platform is busier than when I lived in Teddington 18 months ago, meaning its difficult to get a seat and the train quickly becomes crowded. 

I think this is great news for the area but obviously the barrier would be a concern. I look forward to hearing more about the developments. 

Chris,

Thanks for bringing this up. Crossrail 2 will be great for Hampton bringing more trains through Hampton and to more locations. It has my backing.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service