Recently, announcements have appeared by DHP gates regarding the enforcement of no cycling and dogs on leads.  Can anyone shed any light why this has happened?  

Views: 6341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Deb

I'm currently waiting for a response from the Royal Parks as it seems something of an over-reaction.

Thanks Gareth!  Look forward to their reply.  

Dear Councillor
If you believe the restrictions being placed in dog poo alley, as its more commonly known, are an over-reaction it would appear that you have very little experience of using this thoroughfare
The problems of dog mess are caused by irresponsible dog walkers who fail to clear up their pets mess, if the dog is on a lead it the mess would prove more difficult to ignore.
A family having a bike ride are never a problem but the Lycra louts are

Well it goes to show, Mr Rosborough, that appearances can be deceptive; I use the passage on a both frequent and regular basis.

I agree with you regarding the problem of dog fouling but I fear that the majority of owners who fail to clear up after their dogs will simply continue with their anti-social practices irrespective of whether their mutts are tethered or roaming free.

As for the 'lycra louts' I can't say I've ever encountered one in Duke's Head Passage but surely a code of behaviour would be a first step rather than an immediate outright ban which would penalise the families on their bikes of which you speak.

Bill Rosborough said:

Dear Councillor
If you believe the restrictions being placed in dog poo alley, as its more commonly known, are an over-reaction it would appear that you have very little experience of using this thoroughfare
The problems of dog mess are caused by irresponsible dog walkers who fail to clear up their pets mess, if the dog is on a lead it the mess would prove more difficult to ignore.
There isn't a lot of room for bikes to pass by walkers so for the sake of a 100 yard walk it doesn't involve too much inconvenience for the cyclists

Gareth Roberts said:

Well it goes to show, Mr Rosborough, that appearances can be deceptive; I use the passage on a both frequent and regular basis.

I agree with you regarding the problem of dog fouling but I fear that the majority of owners who fail to clear up after their dogs will simply continue with their anti-social practices irrespective of whether their mutts are tethered or roaming free.

As for the 'lycra louts' I can't say I've ever encountered one in Duke's Head Passage but surely a code of behaviour would be a first step rather than an immediate outright ban which would penalise the families on their bikes of which you speak.

Bill Rosborough said:

Dear Councillor

Hi I'm going to chip in here

I have been in touch with the royal parks themselves (no answer) but I have had correspondence with the Park Manager directly and will happily share what I've been told so far, though I'm waiting for clarification on some issues.

However before this discussion goes further, please can we not single out dog walkers. There are irresponsible dog walkers, yes... will this actually stop them... of course not. If noones watching them, they still won't pick up. However there are ALSO a lot of irresponsible cyclists who cycle two abreast coming towards you, or who sneak up behind you and expect walkers to get out the way (dog or no dog). There are also runners who tend to get irritated by both bikes and dogs. I've seen a number of 'contretemps' (sic) ... both with 'lycra louts' but actually a lot of family groups too... it's not about 'the category ' the person is in but the general manners and thought for our fellow , very lucky users of this park.

For the VAST majority of dog walkers and cyclists alike.. it goes something like this.

... Dog walker sees a cyclist coming towards them, calls the dog to heel, cyclist slows down anyway and gives a cheery 'thank you'... 

You get my point ..? Yes, a 'please use this path responsibly' is no harm. An out and out 'Dont do this' is ridiculous and surely not something that can be policed by anyone in authority.

So, actually what this means is we are being asked to 'self police'.. I am probably biased as I use the passage to walk my dog mainly, however I do also cycle regularly so am sympathetic to cyclists too. However.... in the last five days of using the passage, I'd say 95% of dog walkers have, somewhat resignedly from the conversations I've had with them, had their dog on a lead. I must have seen over 30 cyclists during that time NONE of whom were 'obeying ' this directive. In the long term if this continues it will either lead to increased 'disharmony' between users, or actually mean dog walkers just go 'well they don't, why should I?' thereby making the whole sign null and void.

Interestingly, if it is actually 'enforcable' .. the only fines that can be issued by the royal parks are for three 'offences'...

1) Littering, 2) Not picking up poo and 3) Cycling outside a designated cycling area. 

So actually, it's only the cyclists currently disobeying the 'rules' that could be punished. 

Finally, I'd also say, as i use this every day, you do get to notice 'new poo'.... and, despite the rules, poo still appears. It's the person, not the activity.

Thank you. 

(Ps what I meant on the poo front  / fines above, is 'dog off lead as opposed to on' is not 'fineable'.. only leaving the poo. Which I don't think this will actually stop.

Hi Gareth, I do agree with you on all points. As frequent and regular users of DHP ourselves (virtually twice a day for the past seven years) we see it as a finely balanced ecosystem which we rarely see disrupted We occasionally wish outloud for those people who don't pick up after their pets to be more community spirited or for a bike rider to use a bell, but otherwise it's very friendly. What I fear happening with these 'enforced' bylaws is the experience our goddaughter had this bank holiday Monday as she was walking our dog. As she was walking down DHP with our well controlled but off the lead pooch she was on the receiving end of a mouthful of abuse from a helpful citizen about not following the rules. Can you imagine if the Royal Parks really put up warning signs, etc. The fragile ecosystem collapses and the once friendly cut-through becomes a scolds paradise.

A much more succinct way of saying what I wanted to say.. and I agree!!!
Deb said:

Hi Gareth, I do agree with you on all points. As frequent and regular users of DHP ourselves (virtually twice a day for the past seven years) we see it as a finely balanced ecosystem which we rarely see disrupted We occasionally wish outloud for those people who don't pick up after their pets to be more community spirited or for a bike rider to use a bell, but otherwise it's very friendly. What I fear happening with these 'enforced' bylaws is the experience our goddaughter had this bank holiday Monday as she was walking our dog. As she was walking down DHP with our well controlled but off the lead pooch she was on the receiving end of a mouthful of abuse from a helpful citizen about not following the rules. Can you imagine if the Royal Parks really put up warning signs, etc. The fragile ecosystem collapses and the once friendly cut-through becomes a scolds paradise.
LOL Jen - funny how we can get philosophical about a walk in the park (or even 'to' in this case). Hope it works out

Hahah yes isn't it. The irony that it's actually mean to be a leisure activity that's getting me so incensed has not escaped me.

Deb said:

LOL Jen - funny how we can get philosophical about a walk in the park (or even 'to' in this case). Hope it works out

I agree this is overkill. It is a narrow passage that just needs all to be considerate of others. Most people are. I've seen cyclists and dogs and kids on scooters all navigate around each other.

And per Bill Rosborough's comment, the passage is 550 metres long (from the High Street to the gate).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/51.4181952,-0.3587759/51.4174351,...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service