Recently, announcements have appeared by DHP gates regarding the enforcement of no cycling and dogs on leads.  Can anyone shed any light why this has happened?  

Views: 6644

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great that you're on the case through the cycle thingummmy but could I ask that...if this does get discussed then it isn't soleley in relation to bikes but all users. It is as much as an inconvenience to dog walkers as it is to the cyclistss and I'd hate for us to get forgotten... :-)
Absolutely, Jen. The Dog walking part hasn't gone unnoticed and will be raised
So sad to see the disharmony amongst dog walkers and cyclist that the signs have caused. Twice recently I have witness raised voices and anger where previously a smile and a "good morning" would have been the norm.

one of the reasons I've been avoiding the passage during day light, coming home late it's just me and the migrating toads, back to spawning ponds etc.

It's some what ironic that I meet far more cyclist/dogwalkers and at far greater speed etc going in via Hampton Hill it's far less chilled than Dukes Head Passage had been.

Ann Coward said:

So sad to see the disharmony amongst dog walkers and cyclist that the signs have caused. Twice recently I have witness raised voices and anger where previously a smile and a "good morning" would have been the norm.

Ann, so sorry to hear this but a totally expected outcome. Years and years of polite discourse and being sensible undermined virtually overnight.  @rogermerriman, we have abandoned Dukes Head Passage and are now using Hampton Hill gate.  It is also very busy, but again, no cross words or attitude on display. 

Ann Coward said:

They have now just put up a permanent road type sign in the entrance so people cant help notice. Just all so unnecessary.

Ugh....and you said, this is sooooooooo unnecessary  My husband was walking the dog this morning and he said it was business as usual - dogs off leads, people on cycles - no aggro.  Why are the parks people being so heavy handed. 

Just had funny conversation with the guys putting it up..they pointed the sign out to a cyclist who said "I've been cycling down here 45 years..am not stopping now"

LOL - who is going to enforce this nonsense.   What a complete waste of time and energy.

Agree - whilst walking dog (on lead) saw 6 cyclists (only 1 walking with bike cos she'd been told off yesterday) and 5 other dog walkers (none on leaf but all picking up poo !)
Afternoon Folks

As promised I attended the Bushy Park Stakeholders Meeting this morning and urged a review. I have to say that there was a degree of support for the proposal to ban cycling entirely in DHP but I fought the fight and the parks manager and Chief Executive of The Royal Parks have agreed to review the position. Review, not change but it's a start!

I have suggested that a sensible compromise would be to change the signage to 'Cyclists Dismount When Passing Pedestrians' with possibly additional signage underneath 'Failure to do so may result in a fine'. This would, at least, help to resolve conflict and avoid the farcical position where you could get nicked for cycling through a completely empty passageway if you happened upon the police at any point.

What was disappointing was that our MP, Tania Mathias, was present and gave the ban her '100% Support'. She then went on to make rather uninformed and slightly hysterical comparisons with the peloton heading up Box Hill most weekends.

She also claimed that she hadn't received a single piece of correspondence in her inbox regarding this matter so if you fancy rectifying that here's how. tania@tania4twickenham.co.uk
Thanks for the update Gareth. Disappointed no mention of discussion to consider the dog issue.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service