Recently, announcements have appeared by DHP gates regarding the enforcement of no cycling and dogs on leads.  Can anyone shed any light why this has happened?  

Views: 7082

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No way Deb. What a joke. If they really wanted to make an impact you'd have thought half term or a Sunday would have been more fruitful..

Way, Jen  I've tried to post a picture of the fighting crime unit - I know these guys are just going where they are assigned, but this is pure madness.  My husband tells me that every single person who emerged from DHP (including himself) had a very justified rant to the police on duty.  The general theme was - how is this a good use of my tax £'s 

Husband and I decided to walk down DHP this morning with our dog as it's the closest park entrance to our house.  We were greeted by not one, but two policemen patrolling the passage making sure that there was no criminal behaviour occurring from dog walkers or bike riders.  The mood was pretty grim passing fellow users who universally can't believe this level of force is necessary or justified.  Has anyone uncovered a decent answer for this heavy handed behaviour? 

Attachments:
I just can't believe police resource is being used again for this.

Were they issuing fines? Or just pointing out the signs.

Bushy parks own regulations do not stipulate dhp as a dog on lead area. Furthermore they have three powers of fining (littering, failing to clear up after a dog or cycling outside designated cycle paths)

With regard to a decent answer ...I certainly haven't. I had an unsatisfactory answer from Tania and from the park warden . They are indicating further consultation but with whom and when is unclear.

Frankly the use of police for this is just balmy in this current climate. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the ban that we may have our views on....it is just totally ridiculous that public money is being spent on this

Jen, it's mind boggling.  My husband has heard from people in the park that they have been given verbal warnings from police that they will be fined £1000 if they persist - so I doubt that there any further consultation is taking place.  When the police are directed to intimidate the public, I think we can safely draw the conclusion that this matter is not up for discussion. 

Totally nuts Deb.

Gareth...I've tried to read the regulations and admit to being confused. Is the new sign enforceable by law. Would that result in prosecution if my dog was off a lead (the immediate penalty notice not being applicable). Are you able to clarify?

you'd need to go though the park regulations, having a quick flick it says "under control or on lead" but it was a very quick glance.

jen said:

Totally nuts Deb.

Gareth...I've tried to read the regulations and admit to being confused. Is the new sign enforceable by law. Would that result in prosecution if my dog was off a lead (the immediate penalty notice not being applicable). Are you able to clarify?

As local cycling organisations we have meetings with  the police in the Transport User Group.

I raised the question of the misuse of scarce resources but they didn't know anything about it. This may be because they were Traffic Police ( always seems a daft idea to have that sort of division ). Anyway enquiries will be made.

jen said:

Bushy parks own regulations do not stipulate dhp as a dog on lead area. Furthermore they have three powers of fining (littering, failing to clear up after a dog or cycling outside designated cycle paths)

With regard to a decent answer ...I certainly haven't. I had an unsatisfactory answer from Tania and from the park warden . They are indicating further consultation but with whom and when is unclear.

Frankly the use of police for this is just balmy in this current climate. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the ban that we may have our views on....it is just totally ridiculous that public money is being spent on this

It's not too surprising the local or the Traffic Police don't know about this,  the 'policing' of Dukes Passage is done by the police who look after Hyde Park, St. James's and Green Park.  They come from there, the only parks that appear not to have been subjected to cut backs, to 'knick' cyclists and dog walkers in Poo Alley.

Apparently Bushy Park has no one, which is self evident if you go into the Woodland Gardens and see the behaviour of visitors, whole families paddling in the streams, climbing trees, picking flowers, playing football and loads of bike riding. There were even people Carp Fishing, out of season, in the smaller ponds, try saying something and you get a mouthfull of abuse, and I guess, if one understood the language a whole lot more as well!

Sadly weekends are a 'free-for-all' as there is nobody to keep an eye on things.

The person in charge of Bushy Park says, 'the days when these gardens were places of peace and quite and solitude are now confined to history and without staff they aren't being protected'.

Paul Luton said:

As local cycling organisations we have meetings with  the police in the Transport User Group.

I raised the question of the misuse of scarce resources but they didn't know anything about it. This may be because they were Traffic Police ( always seems a daft idea to have that sort of division ). Anyway enquiries will be made.

jen said:

Matters are more complicated than I thought.The Met do have a team of PCs for Bushy Park

http://www.met.police.uk/teams/royalparks/bushypark/

One might have expected that they would be run by senior officers in Richmond but possibly not.

Paul

Ian Cook said:

It's not too surprising the local or the Traffic Police don't know about this,  the 'policing' of Dukes Passage is done by the police who look after Hyde Park, St. James's and Green Park.  They come from there, the only parks that appear not to have been subjected to cut backs, to 'knick' cyclists and dog walkers in Poo Alley.

Apparently Bushy Park has no one, which is self evident if you go into the Woodland Gardens and see the behaviour of visitors, whole families paddling in the streams, climbing trees, picking flowers, playing football and loads of bike riding. There were even people Carp Fishing, out of season, in the smaller ponds, try saying something and you get a mouthfull of abuse, and I guess, if one understood the language a whole lot more as well!

Sadly weekends are a 'free-for-all' as there is nobody to keep an eye on things.

The person in charge of Bushy Park says, 'the days when these gardens were places of peace and quite and solitude are now confined to history and without staff they aren't being protected'.

Paul Luton said:

jen said:

Met police out at dukes head again today.

My daughter was stopped by 2 policemen who were waiting by the bridge over the river while she was out running (an activity not yet outlawed in DHP) last Thursday (30th) lunchtime. She said the officers seemed a little less than enthusiastic about the value of their performing this duty. There was no one else in the passage at the time.

I went down over the weekend and was surprised how overgrown the passage is. I don't know who is responsible for DHP, the Royal Parks or LBRUT but it frustrates me that petty minded officials lose sight of the priorities they are appointed to supervise and spend the budget deploying police and erecting signs and discouraging reasonable use like cycling. I feel almost as petty by writing about such an inconsequential matter myself !

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service