Hampton People's Network

Bringing People Together

Sadly according to planners at Richmond borough the plans for Jenny Lind change of use to fast food

Looks like the fight has been lost.  Fast food resturant approved 18/1/12!

Views: 1835

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Stacey.  Such a disappointment.

Apologies looks like that link doesn't work. Off to a meeting so will rectify on return

http://www.pcs.planningportal.gov.uk/pcsportal/fscdav/READONLY?OBJ=...



Gareth Roberts said:

Apologies looks like that link doesn't work. Off to a meeting so will rectify on return

Fast food business type of KFC is fundamentally not good, despite of how much employment it brinks to the area, or how efficiently they would deal with their litter (?). And if a fast food then I would prefer some sandwich bar- food made of real stuff instead. Unfortunately, there is still plenty of people who enjoy to eat unhealthy, but I wouldn't encourage it in this area.

I look forward to having the KFC in Hampton Hill and agree that it's the usual NIMBY attitude again! A lot of discussion on this is already in another thread so no point going over old ground too much?

What people choose to eat is down to them, but anything in moderation is okay in my view? I'm pretty fit, go to the gym four times a week, and walk whenever I can. But I still enjoy the odd Kebab, Maccy D, or KFC now and again.

They will, I am sure, have strategies in place to deal with any littering that will inevitably happen, but this is down to the end user at the end of the day. Tesco's, Sainsburys, and Budgens do I assume? But we'll keep hush about that because their okay! 

But will it bring employment to the area? I was travelling from Waterloo last Thursday afternoon with a young woman who put on a Waitrose overall as we pulled in to Fulwell. She told me she lived in South London and had been recruited for the new store just a week or so earlier. Surely there must be Hampton unemployed people who could have been employed there? This young woman was a student - and had travelled from her college course for the evening shift. How many KFC staff will be local? About the same number as work in Sainsbury's and Tesco I'll bet . . . .

Lucia said:

Fast food business type of KFC is fundamentally not good, despite of how much employment it brinks to the area, or how efficiently they would deal with their litter (?). And if a fast food then I would prefer some sandwich bar- food made of real stuff instead. Unfortunately, there is still plenty of people who enjoy to eat unhealthy, but I wouldn't encourage it in this area.

KFC is a Franchise so there probably won't be too much local employment as it tends to be kept in the family first?

Hello Michael

 

Sorry that my comments cause you sadness - I would have thought they were rather mild.

 

Speaking personally I think it's rather disappointing that we are currently losing the individuality of our local shopping areas as whenever a shop or similar business premises falls vacant it becomes a target for the 'Chain Brand'.

 

I think its rather disappointing when we start losing our pubs, particularly those such as The Jenny Lind which have a fully enclosed garden which can be used by parents looking for a (responsible!) quiet drink with their family.

 

I think it rather disappointing when respected organisations such as the Friends of Bushy and Home Park who raise legitimate concerns regarding the impact of a chicken takeaway on the ecology of designated Sites of Special Scientific Interest such as Bushy Park have their concerns listened to by the democratically elected representatives of the Borough's residents yet have them ignored by the Planning Inspector based in Bristol.

 

I think it rather disappointing when it is claimed that a building has been marketed extensively and no interest found when there is good anecdotal evidence to suggest that this is simply not the case; indeed only this week I received an e-mail expressing an interest in the Jenny Lind from an existing pub owner but it would appear too late.

 

I don't want our high streets to be preserved in aspic, nor would any of our local traders, but whereas there was a genuine buzz of excitement in the village about the coming of Waitrose which, for many people, fulfils a need I can't quite imagine the same buzz being felt about the coming of KFC.

Michael Smith said:

My friend is local (400 yds) to Waitrose and has secured a position there since being made redundant from her previous workplace after 27 years.Happy? Yes she is!

A wonderful store and workplace on our doorstep, how lucky are we?...(and her)!

In response to Jason's post, nowhere on the Planning Inspectorates could I find any mention of KFC being the new occupants of the Jenny Lind site

Personally i don't really care where the applicants for employment are from, surely we should all be happy jobs are being created.

The response from the (former) Hampton Hill manager and a local Liberal Democrat Councillor is where the real sadness to this issue arises, now those comments really were disappointing. 

The KFC connection comes from Googling "KFC Hampton Hill project" - a firm called Sanco, whose name was on one of the design documents in the planning application. They still have the project marked up on their website - but details are not revealed.

It's not just the litter, it's also the smell which will be unbearable. I live quite close and enjoy sitting outside during the summer, now I'll have to be inside with the windows shut. There is a silver-lining though - at least the annoying car alarms and barking dog owners won't be so loud.

Michael, I represented the Hampton Hill Traders Association on this issue. And we voted on our stance. It's called democracy.  


 
Michael Smith said:

My friend is local (400 yds) to Waitrose and has secured a position there since being made redundant from her previous workplace after 27 years.Happy? Yes she is!

A wonderful store and workplace on our doorstep, how lucky are we?...(and her)!

In response to Jason's post, nowhere on the Planning Inspectorates could I find any mention of KFC being the new occupants of the Jenny Lind site

Personally i don't really care where the applicants for employment are from, surely we should all be happy jobs are being created.

The response from the (former) Hampton Hill manager and a local Liberal Democrat Councillor is where the real sadness to this issue arises, now those comments really were disappointing. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by paul johnston.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service