Early every Thursday morning there's a man at the river end of Station Road wearing a 'hi-viz' jacket pushing a cart and wielding a broom, he's the roadsweeper, a further description might be that he has his head in his hands after surveying the weekly sight that he is confronted with, namely, the mess caused by the foxes where residents have put their rubbish out the night before.

Why do people continue to do this? They must see the mess when they go out in the mornings.

The roadsweeper does a very good job all through the week and this is how he's repaid, if it was caused by drunken yobbo's kicking the bags whilst stumbling home there would be an outcry, could'nt the Council write to the residents of this, and other, areas asking them to take more care? 

Views: 2866

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thamesmead West

or

Hampton-on-Thames?

So alike it's difficult to decide.

Well said Heather!!

Heather said:

We are all to quick to say the fox is a nuisance but lets not forget it is us humans that build on their habitat, cats tear bags open much more regularly than the fox does, the foxes help keep down other vermin, the rat numbers would be a lot higher spreading their disease if it wasn't for predators like the fox who are higher up the food chain. If we as responsible human beings put food waste in the locking bins, empty nappies down the loo and did not feed the foxes in our gardens, and rinsed our recycled plastic, tins etc before bagging , the foxes would not be so much of a problem. Would you advocate a cull on the local cats who are left out at night who tear bags open, and poop all over everybodys gardens except their own, no there would be an outcry, it all comes down to us all being and taking more resposbility for our own actions.

Thank you for posting that article Thea. Whilst there are humane pest controllers there will always be a sadist that gets his kicks out of torturing animals. To pretend to be a pest controller so he can get his 'kicks' this pathetic excuse for a human being needs locking away for a very lnog time. I would bet my last penny that he is undoubtably a danger to the community.

What about contraceptives in food? It's a bit 'out there' but I wonder if a study (humanely) has been tried? The Fox is a beautiful creature but at the root of it all it is an animal just trying to survive.

What right do humans have to say that we are the only animal allowed to live here, i recycle my waste food STRAIGHT TO THE FOXES and we dont get our bags ripped open,but i have seen cats ripping bags in the past

Very well said, I so agree!

james walsh said:

What right do humans have to say that we are the only animal allowed to live here, i recycle my waste food STRAIGHT TO THE FOXES and we dont get our bags ripped open,but i have seen cats ripping bags in the past

I second that

Instruction from the council says that the general rubbish placed into plastic bags.  I do this and then place in a dustbin, all other recycle stuff have their own coloured bins, most council's provide lids which would indeed help.  Yes I feel sorry for the street cleaners but ours always comes down the road the day before collection day so it's the dustmens rubbish that is left in our road.

Sarah Burley said:

I believe our instructions are for bags to be placed on the pavement by 6am. I put them in bins, with lids and they empty them, though everyone else puts the bags in piles. 

Wouldn't it be a good idea if the road sweepers swept the roads the day after the refuse collections, it makes perfect sense to me but I am sure some one will say thats not possible.

Oh I forgot to say that there is a £60 fine for bins and bags being left on the pavement as it is an obstruction of the highway.  I fought long and hard with the council that if we could be fined so should the dustmen, as I leave on my pathway and they use to leave on the pavement.  They were then sent instructions to keep the pathways clear.

Janice Merritt said:

Instruction from the council says that the general rubbish placed into plastic bags.  I do this and then place in a dustbin, all other recycle stuff have their own coloured bins, most council's provide lids which would indeed help.  Yes I feel sorry for the street cleaners but ours always comes down the road the day before collection day so it's the dustmens rubbish that is left in our road.

Sarah Burley said:

I believe our instructions are for bags to be placed on the pavement by 6am. I put them in bins, with lids and they empty them, though everyone else puts the bags in piles. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service