For those of you who decided not to stick with the Hampton Supermarket discussion you may have missed the fascinating tangent at which the discussion spun off - the long and short of it is that in September we will mark the Centenary of Cinema in Hampton.

In September 1912 the Palaceum Cinema opened in Station Road in the building which is still in existence but occupied by Curves Gym - right opposite the Police Station.

Robin has already asked in the original thread how the anniversary should be marked. Certainly I think (if the owners are amenable) that some tasteful plaque should be erected on the site to mark the 100 years but surely some greater community event could be arranged? I'm wondering whether it could be possible to speak to the people who arranged the open air screenings in Bushy Park could be approached to have a one night special screening on Hampton Green. And if that would be possible, how tidy it would be to have a screening of the current Oscar tipped silent movie sensation The Artist (yes, yes, I know it's set in the 1920s but what other suitable film could there be for 1912 other than Titanic and there are some places I draw a line!)

What do HPN members think?

Views: 1137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Gareth and Brian for reminding me of the old cinema which I have walked past every day for years! The exterior facade must have been lovely in it's day, if only it could be restored by the present owners. (Yes, a lot of money and probably not possible). Is it a listed building? If it is would English Heritage or any other organisation have funds to asist, or do I even dare mention Richmond Borough Council.

As for a one night special, Gareth, a great idea, but I leave it to others to suggest a suitable film!

the Bushy Park guys were Nomad Cinema and I have found several other pop-up cinema companies that could also fit the bill for this. I would certainly be interested in getting involved and seeing if there is any mileage in having a one night only Screen on the Green  Palaceum celebration.

Well done Gareth, It would be good for Station Road and Hampton if some sort of restoration work could done on the exterior of Hampton's 100 year old Cinema. Perhaps the owners could get the Fuel Allotments Charity to give a small or large !!! donation towards cost. Regards. Bryan.

What a great idea. 

I agree The Titanic wouldn't be appropriate & The Artist could be an interesting choice.

As the possible venue would be near Hampton station how about a good old family favourite like 'The Railway Children' - it might appeal to a wider audience & attract a new generation of fans.  The only connection with 1912 though that I can find is the old gentleman that sat on the train,William Mervyn,was born that year.

or perhaps a big screen showing some live events happening this summer ie Olympics, Diamond Jubilee etc ....  just a thought!

 

Brilliant idea!  The green is not used enough for community events.

Kelly Jones said:

What a great idea. 

I agree The Titanic wouldn't be appropriate & The Artist could be an interesting choice.

As the possible venue would be near Hampton station how about a good old family favourite like 'The Railway Children' - it might appeal to a wider audience & attract a new generation of fans.  The only connection with 1912 though that I can find is the old gentleman that sat on the train,William Mervyn,was born that year.

or perhaps a big screen showing some live events happening this summer ie Olympics, Diamond Jubilee etc ....  just a thought!

 

What has happened to this idea? 

Still in the pipeline, Brian. Just looking to secure the necessary funding

Brian Mills said:

What has happened to this idea? 

Hope you've seen the posters, Brian. Cinema event TONIGHT!
 
Gareth Roberts said:

Still in the pipeline, Brian. Just looking to secure the necessary funding

Brian Mills said:

What has happened to this idea? 

I would just like to say a huge thank you and well done to all those involved in last night's event. What a fabulous evening, and such a great community event. I loved every minute of it, from early on with everyone chatting and wandering around sipping Pimms, to the super movie - absolutely perfect choice. I took my daughters along and they loved it.What a lovely atmosphere.

I must admit to having cheered the loudest when you mentioned the possibility of it becoming a regular event!

Well done everyone and a huge thank you for such a super evening!

I share the same opinion: great event, super movie. looking forward to the next one.

Susan Kemp said:

I would just like to say a huge thank you and well done to all those involved in last night's event. What a fabulous evening, and such a great community event. I loved every minute of it, from early on with everyone chatting and wandering around sipping Pimms, to the super movie - absolutely perfect choice. I took my daughters along and they loved it.What a lovely atmosphere.

I must admit to having cheered the loudest when you mentioned the possibility of it becoming a regular event!

Well done everyone and a huge thank you for such a super evening!

Yes to everything said above, a fantastic night. It was great to see the people I have met in Hampton over the years. It was also great to see the play ground filled with actual kids playing at night as opposed to Teenagers just hanging out drinking!

The only critism I have is I wish it had been promoted a little better. In fact I received an email from the Hampton Traders Association yesterday but I actually did not notice the event mentioned until I reread the email this morning.
Maybe a leaflet drop next time? As much as I hate the hords of leaflets I get everyday I have not put up a "no leaflet" sign in case I miss local things of interest such as St Mary's Newsletter etc. The Bell Inn did a recent leaflet drop that was so effective it had a friend arrange a dinner and drinks evening there for friends from Hampton and around.
My friend was in the Railway Bell for a drink the other evening and saw a notice there advertising last nightand text me to let me know. Up until that point I had failed to read any of the notices around the village. My lesson ....I will take the time to read notices in the future but I wonder how many other people were like me but missed out on last night.

Thanks to you all who organised the event last night and I do hope there will be more!

Hear, hear. It was fabulous. A perfect end to the Summer holidays. Thank you so much Gareth and Mike from Village Estates and everyone else involved. You really do a wonderful job for us all. I would definitely love to see more events like this and would be willing to pay a small admission charge as I should imagine funding would be limited.  Also, I didn't know there would be food and wine at the event - so we had brought our own supplies.  It might be worth highlighting that on posters for future events.  A huge well done. Can't wait for the Christmas event.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service