Having discovered by reading the forums recently that there are quite a few people who rather like eating meat.. and maybe some fish products too, I thought you might like to be reminded of the lovely sizzling sausages from Noggin farm, the exquisite lamb and rose-veal from the Stileman's ladies and the new arrival of Pimpernel Fisheries at Hampton Market this Sunday.... and before anyone asks about Rose-veal... I have a blog on the website. 

No venison... ;-) 

Views: 554

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sarah,

Have you just discovered by reading the forums " that there are quite a few people who rather like eating meat?.!!!!!.

The large percentage of us eat meat daily, and look forward to patronising the new stalls at 'your' market!

Well done for all your hard work in estabishing the market 

No venison? How deersapointing!

I'll get my coat

p.s Sorry Sarah, when is the next market? Sounds like I should pay it a visit

I had hoped I wasn't the only one!!! I restrained myself carefully in the cull conversations and made no crass culling jokes as I was aware that offence was easily taken..

So... how can I make you and the people of Hampton feel that it's YOUR market?

Hi Murdoch! Sunday 10-2!

Venison might be a feature in the future.. though I'd hoped not to alienate the vegan community entirely.

One vegetarian lady took huge offence to the rose-veal, however. She ripped up the fact sheet about dairy bullocks and wrote to Eric Pickles to complain about it.... I suspect he might enjoy a bit of meat though...

Murdoch said:

No venison? How deersapointing!

I'll get my coat

p.s Sorry Sarah, when is the next market? Sounds like I should pay it a visit

I wouldn't eat veal on principle, but I'm quite happy for Eric Pickles, or anyone else, to eat it if they want to as I don't expect others principles to be the same as mine.  I'm happy to eat most other meats, though my wife is a Jain and therefore vegetarian by religion (though many of her male relations - less so, the females - eat meat) and she doesn't seek to influence my eating habits.

On a less serious note, I once phoned a restaurant to ask for their vegetarian options, and got a list of fish dishes!  When I queried this, the waitress told me that she had a friend who was vegetarian and she ate fish.  This might explain why I don't have much luck with my pond fish - perhaps I would do better planting them in the vegetable patch!

This interests me. It is NOT a discussion for vegetarians. I am a meat eater.

Do you not eat veal on principle because it is a cow or because of it's age? If I called it rose beef would that sound better?

Do you eat lamb or only buy mutton? Lamb might be 3 to 6 months old. Rose veal would be 8 months to 2 years old. Stileman's rose-veal is grass reared in Oxted. The fact sheet is interesting...

What do you think happens to the bullocks born into dairy herds?  They cannot participate in the dairy industry and are not considered suitable for raising alongside the beef cattle breeds. If the meat is free range and not Bob veal, would it change your view? I'm not making any attempt to change your view or to make any comment upon your choices. I only ask because the reasons for those choices interest me. I am always keen to learn more from others and their points of view.

On the other issue you mentioned...

As a caterer, I am shocked that anyone would offer fish options to vegetarians. I'd be furious! 

Trevor Allan said:

I wouldn't eat veal on principle, but I'm quite happy for Eric Pickles, or anyone else, to eat it if they want to as I don't expect others principles to be the same as mine.  I'm happy to eat most other meats, though my wife is a Jain and therefore vegetarian by religion (though many of her male relations - less so, the females - eat meat) and she doesn't seek to influence my eating habits.

On a less serious note, I once phoned a restaurant to ask for their vegetarian options, and got a list of fish dishes!  When I queried this, the waitress told me that she had a friend who was vegetarian and she ate fish.  This might explain why I don't have much luck with my pond fish - perhaps I would do better planting them in the vegetable patch!

Hello Sarah

Looks like my prejudice against veal was based on some simplistic information which I received some years ago.  It appears from Wikipedia that there are at least 5 types and, whilst I might object to the unnatural feeding and rearing of some young calves for some veals, I wouldn't necessarily object to others.  The point I was trying to make, admittedly somewhat clumsily, is that I don't agree with the somewhat doctrinaire approaches to the deer issue in the Bushy Park message stream and the "rose-veal saga".  People are entitled to legitimate views and to have them questioned, but not be attacked for them.

Hope this hasn't put veal-lovers off the market.

Trevor

I visited the market again on Sunday and was hugely impressed again with the variety of produce from fresh bread to Lobster and the quality.
I hope more people will come on the second Sunday of every month and ensure this wonderful market and all it's independent traders thrive.
The veal is out of this world and totally ethical, plus high in Omegas threes and most of the beef calves live far longer by this method than the equivalent lamb or chickens. Please do rethink any prejudices - both Jamie Oliver and Jimmy Doherty have been calling for farms like Stilemans to prevent the hugely unnecessary slaughter of male beef calves at birth. Please find out more http://jimmysfarm.com/jimmy-doherty-tackles-veal-issue-on-new-chann....
And the fruit juices from Ringden farm are superb particularly the pear.
Would love to hear about everyone else's favourites.

Well done Sarah, sounds like a real triumph again

Jayne said:

I visited the market again on Sunday and was hugely impressed again with the variety of produce from fresh bread to Lobster and the quality.
I hope more people will come on the second Sunday of every month and ensure this wonderful market and all it's independent traders thrive.
The veal is out of this world and totally ethical, plus high in Omegas threes and most of the beef calves live far longer by this method than the equivalent lamb or chickens. Please do rethink any prejudices - both Jamie Oliver and Jimmy Doherty have been calling for farms like Stilemans to prevent the hugely unnecessary slaughter of male beef calves at birth. Please find out more http://jimmysfarm.com/jimmy-doherty-tackles-veal-issue-on-new-chann....
And the fruit juices from Ringden farm are superb particularly the pear.
Would love to hear about everyone else's favourites.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service