Items of interest to all residents north and south:

HAMPTON NORTH WARD

WARD NEWSLETTER issue 2. 2016

February 2016

Dear Resident,

Once again this Newsletter is concentrating on transport issues.

PUBLIC MEETING – Wednesday 24th February

We are happy to confirm that we have booked The White House for a meeting to begin at 730pm. With Martin as Mayor in the chair we want to discuss traffic, transport and parking issues in Acacia, Hanworth and Nightingale Roads and issues with the 111 and R70 buses.We are pleased that the following have accepted our invitation to attend: Peter Bradley ( a senior officer of TfL who knows our area well!): Sergeant McCandless (in charge of our Safer Neighbourhood Team): the Headmaster (or representative) of Hampton School: the Headmistress (or representative) of Lady Eleanor Holles School: the Principal of Hampton Academy: the Principal of Jack and Jill school: Council Stephen Speak (Cabinet Member for Traffic and Transport): Graham Beattie (senior Council Officer) and – of course – the three of us. The issues are complicated but interlinked and we hope that, with goodwill and a spirit of compromise, we may find agreement on some measures to improve the situation. We hope you will join us if you live or travel in any of the three key roads.

SOUTH WEST TRAINS

Our petition is available on our website and we very much hope that you will sign it.
We have responded formally to the consultation. At the Council meeting on 19th January Kate asked Councillor Speak to make representations on behalf of the Council with regard to resident dissatisfaction with both the quality and reliability of the service from Hampton Station: Petra Sale (Councillor for Hampton) asked Cllr Speak to draw attention to the fact that there are only four trains a day from Hampton to Twickenham and Richmond. However the situation has now radically changed with the news that the Government will be giving Transport for London (TfL) responsibility for train services in the London suburbs. We think this is good news ! TfL have much improved the Overground Services from Richmond and throughout London. We will be discussing the matter with Cllr Tony Arbour, our GLA member, and report back in the next Newsletter.

VILLAGE PLANNING

About 150 residents attended the Leader’s Question Time at The White House last Thursday. Chaired by Barry Martin, former Headmaster of Hampton School, the meeting provided an opportunity for residents to put questions and raise issues with a panel of five Cabinet members. Most of the questions concerned parking and traffic issues – but predominantly in Hampton not Hampton North.
Consultation starts on 5th February: there is a Drop-in Session in the Tangley Park Children’s Centre from 10 to 4 on 6th February and a Walkabout the next day.

HAMPTON HILL STREET

The Council has agreed to a major refurbishment of Hampton Hill High Street including:
Improved footpaths with high quality granite
New road resurfacing
New layout to reduce congestion and improve traffic flow
Inset parking bays and shorter bus stop ‘cages’
All crossings to be upgraded to signalised crossings
New lamp columns, signage, litter bins, cycle stands and seating

SECONDARY SCHOOLS

We are delighted that at last we can offer residents greater choice – and higher standards. We have now seen Hampton children at work in St. Richard Reynolds and Turing House School. 55 boys and girls with TW12 postcodes are experiencing Catholic Secondary education at St Richard Reynolds in the premises of the former Twickenham County School: of the first intake of 100 in the temporary premises that house Turing House School 43 are from our ward. Choice that did not exist a couple of years ago ! We await news of the proposed involvement of Teddington and Waldegrave Schools in Hampton Academy.

DISTRIBUTION OF THE NEWSLETTER
A personal note from Geoffrey.

Although I have always listed distribution under ‘BCC’ on my computer to ensure that your e-mail address is not circulated, my aged software still printed it ! I have now – I do not own or use any Council equipment – had an up-to-date version of Outlook installed on my machine and am delighted that this has solved the problem. Your e-mail address is now properly protected.

MARCH NEWSLETTER

To ensure that you are the first to know the content of the Council’s annual Budget, we always print it in the Newsletter. The Budget will be presented at the Council meeting on 1st March and therefore the March Newsletter will be published a couple of days later.

We hold our surgery on the first Thursday of every month from 630 to 730 in The White House.

Do you know of any other local residents who would like to receive this monthly Newsletter ? If so, could you let us know their details – or ask them to contact us on gjshn@btinternet.com ?

(Councillor) KATE HOWARD
(Councillor) GEOFFREY J. SAMUEL
(Councillor) MARTIN SEYMOUR

Views: 823

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see you have issues with 111 and R70 buses, what are they?

It wouldn't be with the 111's that they're too many, too often, too big, too noisy, too dangerous, too aggressive and mostly almost empty, could it?

It would be interesting to know if your problems are similar to ours.

I think it is the congestion around school times and noise on narrow residential roads at night

As regards to the view that there are too many 111's I disagree. If you have ever tried to get on a 111 at 7.30am/8am at the Station bus stop towards Kingston you will know that you can rarely get a seat because the bus is full of Tiffin boys, College and university students as well as adults trying to get to work. There certainly needs to be more 111's at that time in the morning. Also, recently there seems to be an awful lot of these 111's turning at Hampton Court; not much help if you need to get into Kingston!

I have lived in Hampton for 30 years. The 111 has always travelled through Nightingale Road which I have always thought odd as Acacia Road is much wider and more suited to a doubledecker bus.

I sincerely hope we are not going to have the car owning locals demanding that the 111 or R70 (that many use because they do not have or cannot afford a car) is cut back. These buses are a lifeline for the young, the old and the middle aged!

There the exceptions at certain times when clearly more buses would be helpful, but I think the reality is there are too many 111's most of the day . Do you see and witness the daily convoys and processions of empty buses in each direction, as you said many of them turning at Hampton Court, some even turning in Hampton, pretty sure they don't do this because they're full.  One day last week there were 7 empty 111's in Station Road and two 216's! There are routes locally which are not as well served as this one with some having seasonal cuts in service, it's not beyond wit to adjust schedules and routes to make things better overall. 

It used to be single decker buses, the point I was making, as you seem to agree, is that they are too big and not just for Nightingale but for any roads within Hampton.

We also use the 111', not sure what owning a car has to do with big empty buses?

Fortunately I don't have to get the bus at seven thirty but my daughter used to when she was at Tiffin Girls, always complaining it was full, so they used to walk with all their bags and books, sadly it doesn't appear to have got any better!

Tyger Lula said:

As regards to the view that there are too many 111's I disagree. If you have ever tried to get on a 111 at 7.30am/8am at the Station bus stop towards Kingston you will know that you can rarely get a seat because the bus is full of Tiffin boys, College and university students as well as adults trying to get to work. There certainly needs to be more 111's at that time in the morning. Also, recently there seems to be an awful lot of these 111's turning at Hampton Court; not much help if you need to get into Kingston!

I have lived in Hampton for 30 years. The 111 has always travelled through Nightingale Road which I have always thought odd as Acacia Road is much wider and more suited to a doubledecker bus.

I sincerely hope we are not going to have the car owning locals demanding that the 111 or R70 (that many use because they do not have or cannot afford a car) is cut back. These buses are a lifeline for the young, the old and the middle aged!

My point Ian was that to myself and many other Hampton residents the 111 is a lifeline and the only form of regular transport. We don't have the luxury of a car. I am not saying that people who own a car don't use the 111 but I believe that if you do own a car you can afford to be much more blase about cutting the frequency of services on this route. A generalisation I know.

Surely if the route was not making enough in fares to cover it's costs it would not run. The 111 runs from Heathrow, through Hounslow, Hanworth, etc to Kingston not just through Hampton. How do we know if the bus is 'empty' that whole route?

I am grateful of the fact that whenever I need to get to any point between Heathrow and Kingston I don't have to wait for long to catch a bus.

The reason the buses are turned at Hampton Court is to do with the late running of the service when there are traffic hold ups. I can assure you Ian that I have been on a packed bus many times when the controller has told the driver to turn at Hampton Court. The whole bus full of passengers are turfed off to wait to squeeze on to another already heaving bus.

I'm sorry I don't agree that the buses are too big for Hampton roads (with the exception of Nightingale Road when Acacia Road would clearly be more suitable). They are only taller than a single decker and marginally longer.

As regards 'Do you see and witness the daily convoys and processions of empty buses in each direction, as you said many of them turning at Hampton Court, some even turning in Hampton, pretty sure they don't do this because they're full.  One day last week there were 7 empty 111's in Station Road and two 216's!'

No, because I am usually at work and when I am at home I have other concerns to deal with than count the number of buses on Station Road at any one time! I assume there must have been some major traffic hold up along the route if 7 111's and 2 216's were in Station Road at the same time! Were there seriously 7 buses one behind another on one side of the road or were they from both directions???  A strange occurrence granted but we all know that that cannot be the norm!

Samantha says I think it is the congestion around school times and noise on narrow residential roads at night

The congestion around school time is down to lazy parents picking their children up in massive cars rather than walking to collect their offspring. One bus to 30, 40, 50 cars? Doesn't really need much adding up does it?????

Minutes and notes from the meeting where all the issues were discussed with those that are affected directly, can be emailed to anyone who wished to see what happened. email bash.ltd@hotmail.com to request the minutes ( informally and unofficially written by me at the back of the room)

There were lots of people and passionate opinions about a tricky problem. Some of the solutions have been put into place and we await to see if there is any improvement for the residents of those streets.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service