Hello

You may not have seen the article in the Richmond & Twickenham Times regarding the closure of the Police Station in March prior to closure

There is to be a procession of classic police cars leaving the station this Wednesday 26th February commencing at 11am - they hope as many residents as possible will be able to turn out to wave them off

Looking to the future the rumour which has been going round the village for the best part of a decade is that a certain supermarket has already purchased the building and will be converting it. As far as I am aware this is completely baseless.

A report went to council cabinet last week which listed the police station among the Site Allocations Plan. The SAP is essentially an important document which informs the local authority about the best usage of available land within the borough. The Site Allocation Plan will eventually go out to consultation among all interested parties including residents - as we saw before with the Scout Hut issue

AT THE MOMENT THE SAP IS RECOMMENDING SOLELY RESIDENTIAL USE!

So if you get told in the pub, or in the butcher's queue or while walking the dog that a well known retailer has already acquired the site then take that with a large pinch of salt. When the consultation starts rest assured you'll find a well organised team encouraging you to have your say on the matter!

The RTT article is here

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/news/11025621.Police_ca...

Views: 1925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Gareth, as long as there is a local consultation then we have no excuse for not attending and if anyone doesn't they can't later complain.  It probably wouldn't make that much difference if it were split into 'parcels' as long as the council could come up with a proportional amount of money.

Thanks for the reply Gareth.

I can't see any other outcome than it being sold to developers to turn it into residential units, if that is the case, then surely it will have to adhere to the UDP?

This would mean a MAXIMUM of 1 space per dwelling, without the requirement to provide a minimum?

Therefore any residential development here would likely to have a negative impact on parking in Station Road, Plevna Road, Avenue Road and Varna Road? 

There is a similar situation brewing up Station Road near the playground, rather than derail this thread with the details I have created a new one. Gareth, would you mind posting your thoughts on that development in that thread?

Just re-read the UDP, seems like its a MAXIMUM of 1.5 spaces, although realistically (in my opinion) it should be a MINIMUM not a MAXIMUM, and 2 spaces rather than 1.5.

Murdoch said:

Thanks for the reply Gareth.

I can't see any other outcome than it being sold to developers to turn it into residential units, if that is the case, then surely it will have to adhere to the UDP?

This would mean a MAXIMUM of 1 space per dwelling, without the requirement to provide a minimum?

Therefore any residential development here would likely to have a negative impact on parking in Station Road, Plevna Road, Avenue Road and Varna Road? 

There is a similar situation brewing up Station Road near the playground, rather than derail this thread with the details I have created a new one. Gareth, would you mind posting your thoughts on that development in that thread?

Hi Gareth

What a fun morning on Wednesday the friendly spirit that is Hampton turned out in the sun again.

However it seems to have turned the conversation to Parking............. Hurrah! the Police station façade will remain, the future outcome we must follow closely it is up to us and our great councillors to fight our corner. 

If you buy a 100 year old terraced house you are unlikely to gain parking outside you property. Remember why you chose Hampton......... It is a lovely place to live we are surrounded by green space here in the village and have Bushy Park, Hampton Court and Richmond Park on our doorstep.  Plus a frequent transport service to London and the surrounding towns.  Leave the car at home if you can.

If parking is the most important thing in life then sell up and find somewhere more convenient, but I doubt you will find anywhere so close to the Capital that retains it's village warmth and councillors who listen and are represented by probably the only trustworthy MP.

Lets be positive and lighten up,  get a life.

Sorry Steve is pulling out of HPN please reconsider Paul needs your support.

Cheers Steph, get a life? Can I get one thats locally sourced? ;)

I note your comments regarding the parking/terrace housing etc, but the point you are missing is that this has been steadily getting worse, one of the factors causing this is the number of flats being granted planning permission, which increases the number of cars to the area. When I moved into my home parking wasn't an issue, but it has become steadily more so.

I would rather try and do something about the parking than sell my family home and move elsewhere, as you say, Hampton Village is a great place to live and I would rather not leave. Its not like its an impossible situation though, I can be sorted though if the correct decisions are made. I'm puzzled as to why this is a problem for you? 

No problem.... I agree parking has to be tackled during new build and planning but it does seem to be dominating the conversation online.   None of my business I suppose.....but this site is meant to be cheerful and positive...as well as airing our views about all things local.

Sorry if I have caused offence. Just like to look on the bright side of life there are always solutions to problems and they can often be solved with the  right help!!!!!

Indeed they can, and that's whats required now.

The Police Station will become a 'new build' soon, so I think its quite appropriate to discuss the ramifications now. The ramifications won't affect me directly, I just sympathise with the residents who live close by, who brought their property without knowing the Police Station was to close and be developed into flats/houses.

This site is ideal for discussing all things related to Hampton, positives and the negatives. 

I do appreciate your cheery nature though, keep smiling!

Gareth

Just a quick fact check. You say "the building itself and fascia is Grade One listed". I'm not sure this is the case. 

Although the police station is undoubtedly a fine looking building, I can't find it on the National Heritage List for listed buildings. Also, given that Grade 1 is reserved for only 2.5% of listed buildings nationally, for buildings of exceptional interest, sometimes considered of international importance, I can't believe that the police station would qualify, even if it were listed.

Chris

Gareth Roberts said:

Hello Janice

if I have a fault, and Mrs Roberts would at this point raise an eyebrow and say 'A fault?', is that sometimes I'm too quick to jump in with a comment. Also I've been spending some time keeping an eye on the proceedings down at York House for the Public Enquiry for the boatyard development and will be there again tomorrow and also, further to a resident's request, I've been chatting with officers on site to see if we can't get a couple of extra benches and better bins on Hampton Green - to quote EF Benson's Lucia 'How you all work me!'

Anyway - The Police Station.  The building itself and fascia is Grade One listed and is sited in a conservation area. There are very good protections to make sure it is kept. The lamp, I agree 100%, should be retained and I will raise this with officers. That sign board can go though!

As I have mentioned already - and it bears repetition as even at the send off yesterday I would have gone home a rich man had I a pound for everytime I heard the word Tesco - the Site Allocation Plan which is going out to consultation (pending approval at council on Tuesday) is recommending residential use NOT retail.

Regarding the usage of the land itself - the extreme stresses on current parking will certainly be an important consideration for any residential development. It is no silver bullet which would kill an application but it would wound it significantly. As for the council buying a chunk of the site, that is by no means a bad suggestion but an unpalatable fact is that the land is being sold to raise money for a heavily cash strapped police force and they have no obligation to consider what comes after they have gone. The land value could (and I stress could) be diminished if it is split into parcels.

The next step, as I have mentioned, is that the Site Allocation Plan will go out to consultation. If you want the site planning brief to take consideration of the already stretched local parking then it is important that you respond to the consultation. When the time comes then rest assured you'll have me hammering on your real and virtual doors to ensure you know

In the mean time I will sound out council officers to see what could be done to get some benefit of the site for residents

Pip Pip

G

Janice Merritt said:

I totally agree with you Charles lets hope the powers that be do so as well.  Gareth you are staying awfully quiet, can you throw some light on this?

Corks! You're quite right Chris, heaven knows where my head was when I was writing it - the heady glamour of the Public Enquiry no doubt! Anyway as you rightly intimate, though are too kind to put into words, it was eyewash of the first order. What I meant to write was that it has protection under the auspices of the council in as far as it is a Building of Townscape Merit and exists within a Conservation Area.

Besides which, of course, it has the ultimate protection - namely it comes under the protectorate of the residents of Hampton who will rally to the cause if there is a scintilla of an iota of a suggestion of a threat!

Chris Vinson said:

Gareth

Just a quick fact check. You say "the building itself and fascia is Grade One listed". I'm not sure this is the case. 

Although the police station is undoubtedly a fine looking building, I can't find it on the National Heritage List for listed buildings. Also, given that Grade 1 is reserved for only 2.5% of listed buildings nationally, for buildings of exceptional interest, sometimes considered of international importance, I can't believe that the police station would qualify, even if it were listed.

Chris

Gareth Roberts said:

Hello Janice

if I have a fault, and Mrs Roberts would at this point raise an eyebrow and say 'A fault?', is that sometimes I'm too quick to jump in with a comment. Also I've been spending some time keeping an eye on the proceedings down at York House for the Public Enquiry for the boatyard development and will be there again tomorrow and also, further to a resident's request, I've been chatting with officers on site to see if we can't get a couple of extra benches and better bins on Hampton Green - to quote EF Benson's Lucia 'How you all work me!'

Anyway - The Police Station.  The building itself and fascia is Grade One listed and is sited in a conservation area. There are very good protections to make sure it is kept. The lamp, I agree 100%, should be retained and I will raise this with officers. That sign board can go though!

As I have mentioned already - and it bears repetition as even at the send off yesterday I would have gone home a rich man had I a pound for everytime I heard the word Tesco - the Site Allocation Plan which is going out to consultation (pending approval at council on Tuesday) is recommending residential use NOT retail.

Regarding the usage of the land itself - the extreme stresses on current parking will certainly be an important consideration for any residential development. It is no silver bullet which would kill an application but it would wound it significantly. As for the council buying a chunk of the site, that is by no means a bad suggestion but an unpalatable fact is that the land is being sold to raise money for a heavily cash strapped police force and they have no obligation to consider what comes after they have gone. The land value could (and I stress could) be diminished if it is split into parcels.

The next step, as I have mentioned, is that the Site Allocation Plan will go out to consultation. If you want the site planning brief to take consideration of the already stretched local parking then it is important that you respond to the consultation. When the time comes then rest assured you'll have me hammering on your real and virtual doors to ensure you know

In the mean time I will sound out council officers to see what could be done to get some benefit of the site for residents

Pip Pip

G

Janice Merritt said:

I totally agree with you Charles lets hope the powers that be do so as well.  Gareth you are staying awfully quiet, can you throw some light on this?

Honestly, we cannot afford to waffle about this, I have been away (good says a few), we need to find out EXACTLY what is happening. I look at planning permissions every week (I know sad) but I missed the new build in Ormand Ave and Alboin house.  Now although it will annoy some that I mention about parking, BUT the serious thing is I moved here because of the 'old' buildings and the 'village atmosphere', surely if we keep having new builds (just walk NOT RIDE around Hampton) then we lose 'Hampton Village'.  Yes I can move as someone suggested without building works, but why we all moved here because of the 'old atmosphere' not to have new builds.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service