I have received from Helen Donnelly, Environment LBRUT a number of new planning applications for the Hampton Riviera, it would seem that they are a mix of retrospective and new.

The owner, M. Djurberg, doesn't bother with planning consent, he has done exactly what he has wanted to do and now applies for planning permission. He clearly sees nothing wrong in removing, from 'us', our historic amenities for his own personal use and gratification.

Here are the links to the Planning Applications:-

http://www2.richmond.gov.uk/PlanData2/Planning_CaseNo.aspx?strCASEN...

We have very little, if any, of the River front at Hampton left for us to use, the boat people at St Alban's Riverside, the creeping Thames Voyages and Hampton Riviera formerly Hucks Boat Yard, if it isn't stopped now it will be gone forever!

Views: 16472

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Mark

I think it's important to note that at the Public Inquiry the planning inspector specifically precluded the use of Hampton Riviera for residential moorings. It's true that some of the decisions of the inquiry are being challenged in the courts but it's worth bearing this in mind.

Mark Hammond said:

Running the risk of being targeted as siding with the enemy here, do you know if Hampton Riveria is trading as a marina?  

My family and I are looking for somewhere to berth our boat and given the beauty of the surrounding area and the river in this section of the Thames, Hampton Riveria looked idyllic.  They have a website advertising it as such, including boatyard facilities but given some of the comments here and the ongoing planning applications i was left uncertain.  

Using the power of social networking I hoped get the views from those in the area. 

Hi Ian,

Just meant that everyone has to make up their own mind; as you know I feel very strongly against all what has been going on at our glorious stretch of the river and that it needs preserving for all, but everyone has to make up their own mind; if some one is truly looking for legal moorings then that should be encouraged especially as there are so many boats that have just 'hijacked' the river bank with illegal moorings. I don't want what has been going on to put people off from looking at our stretch of water so they need to take and be informed of what Hampton can offer, or not as the case may be. Google is not always up to date but it does give a general view of what the riverside has been like over the last couple of years. If you go on to the website which I must admit I only did for the first time this morning I was confused by the fourth photo top row in the gallery, even if Google is not quite up to date I am sure that there was never a fountain where there is one in the photo, unless it is an extremely new addition to Bushy Park that I do not know about. Just shows, as far as I know, how the truth can not always be told from a photo.  http://hamptonriviera.co.uk/hamp/#gallery  (If a window comes up denying access I found that if you close it you can still click on gallery etc)

Thanks Gareth, but I assumed this related to the house boats rather than a berth for a 9m motor cruiser.

And thanks also for the reply Heather. That is why I posted something on this forum - I wanted to try and get a balanced view.  It is a beautiful stretch of the river and I want to ensure that if I introduce this to my family I am not walking into any problems. 

I'd welcome any otherr views from members - they would be grateful received.

Gareth Roberts said:

Hello Mark

I think it's important to note that at the Public Inquiry the planning inspector specifically precluded the use of Hampton Riviera for residential moorings. It's true that some of the decisions of the inquiry are being challenged in the courts but it's worth bearing this in mind.

Mark Hammond said:

Running the risk of being targeted as siding with the enemy here, do you know if Hampton Riveria is trading as a marina?  

My family and I are looking for somewhere to berth our boat and given the beauty of the surrounding area and the river in this section of the Thames, Hampton Riveria looked idyllic.  They have a website advertising it as such, including boatyard facilities but given some of the comments here and the ongoing planning applications i was left uncertain.  

Using the power of social networking I hoped get the views from those in the area. 

I have been walking and boating through the area for years and have taken stock of these proceedings and have to weigh my thoughts.  Okay even though this guy is obviously a bit eccentric and sure, is doing a lot of works around this stretch of the river (legalities, planning permissions and legal moorings aside) what is the real issue here?  If anything, he is beautifying an already wonderful part of the river and from what I hear is doing everything with the utmost environmental precautions in place.  The boat yard just next to Hampton Riviera looks like a scrap heap and I don't see anyone complaining about that!  The pontoons he has put into place are lovely, and the floating homes aren't just homes, I know for a fact (having done the research) that they are environmentally sound eco-homes which are designed to specifically fit within the environment (over time once completed) with indigenous plants to cover the majority of the outsides.   

If what he is doing is completely illegal and out of bounds of planning permission, then yes it should be stopped, but for what then?  For the marina to wither away and become open for public/pirate moorings and inevitably become another unsightly mess of left barges and boats?  From what I can see, he has a BIG vision and is actually seeing it through, which is unlike a lot of places on the river - even into London.  It's a beautiful area of the river and is only getting better and better.  

Dear Ptolemy,

Taken stock? wieghing thoughts?

You are of course free to think that the whole river would best be beautified by free market forces ignoring the law.

You use the term eccentric very generously and rather misplaced in context and since when did legalities, planning, moorings not be material issues (aside)?

Your morality is that deliberate premeditated wrongful aspects are justified by the means? Wow!

The riverbed is crown property, the water is EA, the land is LBRUT regulated but one can do what one wants. Wow!

Already I can see you also know absolutely nothing about eco-homes or indigenious species or what happens to houseboats and boats over time except from a catalogue. Wow!

These same free market forces have also created the situation by the Cedar Tree.

Lets put the same development (hieght, mass and number of persons) with the same consequences built in and around your house and see whether you would still feel the same.

When will people looking in realise that the issue is the loss of a working boatyard and drydock and conversion to residential and an increase in localised flood risk not any beautification.

Just Platts left now as the only place to take out and maintain the medium to large houseboats in this reach.

Im so sorry you dont like the look of boats and boatyards perhaps you should stay away from the water or go on if you like them so much buy one of the Riviera Houseboats and put your money where your fingers type.

No I didnt think so.

I was under the impression that he had been told to remove various structures at this site, he had appealed and the appeal was turned down, as I understand it more than once

I know a couple o Taggs residents and they mentioned that one of the Taggs houseboats has been hit by boats a couple of time because of the already narrowed channel and boats having to avoid rowers

If this continues we will soon have a barrier across the river and he will be charging us a toll to use it!

Why are the illegal fingers, arubbing posts, pontoons etc simply not removed and then send him the bill, if he refuses to pay within 30 confiscate goods to the same value, he owns the Chalet House for a start that would cover it and would cover the costs for the contractors that I believe are chasing him though the claims courts to be paid

Never realised he had such a history.

If he moves on presumably it will be the tax payer that will be sorting this out

What a  mess

An article in The Telegraph dated 16 August 2015 includes the following:

"Today’s floating homes are, in terms of design and comfort, a world apart from old-style dark, draughty barges. Myck Djurberg, a Swedish architect who owns the Hampton Riviera marina in south-west London, is designing 32 floating homes in the area. One for sale for £850,000  has a “garden” which consists of a wild meadow covering the roof and entire back of the houseboat."

I thought he was supposed to be removing structures not adding residential buildings!

Gareth - any news on this?  It certainly is a mess.

sounds like a case for that bloke from Rogue traders off the tv.

Morning All

This has gone a little quiet of late, the news is,  our eccentric Mr. Djurberg is in Court on 11th February , so watch this space, ....

Bob

The lady dealing with planning who was on the panel at The White House, had never heard of Hucks Boatyard. Many people were annoyed at that statement.  Maybe that says something

Calls himself a Doctor too

DR SALVADEOR PRIOST is a ARCHITECTURAL DESIGNER from KINGSTON UPON THAMES SURREY. This person was born in March 1960 and is 55 years old.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service