I have a friend coming to stay for a few days and as thursday is St Patricks Day, we thought we would go to an Irish pub. Does anyone know of any in the area? It doesn't have to necessarily be Irish themed, Irish owned or run would be fine as I'm sure there would be a bit of atmosphere. I have a vague recollection of The Star in Hampton Hill having Irish owners but I'm not sure.

Views: 354

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well of course Seamus who owns The Railway Bell is Irish so would be good point to start your enquiries. And you could check with Jane at the Jolly Coopers, she sometimes has things planned for events such as these.

Just an aside re Irish pubs. We were in Hanoi, Vietnam 2 years ago, the occassion being a family get together to celebrate a 60th birthday. There were about 30 of us from all over the world. UK, Ireland, Austalia, Japan etc, all with Irish connections of one sort or another. In our hotel a couple of Irish lads said sure there is an Irish bar in Hanoi and gave us directions. The ladies wern't interested and decided to go shopping instead. Six of us men decided to seek out this Irish bar. Eventually we found it, a small place displaying the sign, IRISH BAR. The bar was run by two young Vietnamese guys and their wives. The place was empty of customers and the only thing Irish about it was two cans of Guinness available, not even a bottle of Jamesons. We had a Hanoi beer and debated whether to stay. We noticed that they had a music player linked to Internet and asked if they would mind if we used it, no problems they said, pretty soon we had Irish music blaring out, bar soon filling up with Irish, British, Australians, Americans etc, what mighty craic we all had for a good 6 hours.

Gareth Roberts said:

Well of course Seamus who owns The Railway Bell is Irish so would be good point to start your enquiries. And you could check with Jane at the Jolly Coopers, she sometimes has things planned for events such as these.

I have a few memories of getting a bit "worse for wear" in a few Irish bars around the world.  Sao Paulo rings a bell and there used to be a bar called PJ Carneys in New York (no longer there) where we had a lock in with the Irish bar man  We came out of there in the morning when the refuse collectors were collecting the rubbish.  The last time I went to a pub on St Patricks day was years ago and it was to O Neals in Richmond which isn`t there anymore. Maybe we will have to go further afield than Hampton

You will get a great atmosphere, entertainment and fantastic Irish Stew or Bacon and Cabbage at the Star in Hampton. Reduced price Guinness as well.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service