Is it Scared Witless, Greed, Selfishness, I'm alright and to hell with the rest of you or What?

I'm at a loss as to the hysteria, the panic buying, the greedy inconsiderate selfishness of people, or are they just plain bloody stupid.

At 8am this morning a queue of cars trying to get into Little Waitrose car park, hoards of people on foot rushing to the store, followed by them leaving with bulging bags, car boots being filled and emptied shelves.

STOP for a moment and think, the shortage and empty shelves is being created by such obsessive and absurd behaviour, there is no need to buy everything.  One of the staff there told me one person came in and bought as much green vegetables as they could carry. WHY they're not going to last!

One question:- Does anyone know what people are doing with all the Toilet Rolls they have bought?

Views: 511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ian, it's ridiculous isn't it? I don't drive so usually do an online order once/twice a month. I tried Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's, Morrison and Waitrose yesterday and the earliest delivery I could get was 5th April!!!!

I went to Tesco's early this morning by bus and got a cab home. A lot of the shelves were empty, hardly any pasta or rice, no tinned tomatoes, no baked beans!!??!, tinned fruit and veg and frozen food shelves were bare, cat and dog food were scarce and the meat aisles were bare (doesn't bother me as I'm vegan). Ironically the vegan foods were there in abundance lol. The toilet roll was being handed out by a staff member - one 4 pack each!

My daughter lives in Richmond and went to her local (big) Sainsbury's. She called me in a real state as she couldn't get her usual choice of foods for her and her son. She doesn't have a lot of spare cash and works on a budget so these panic buyers are literally taking food from their plates. She found that not only were the staples scarce but also dog & cat food and ladies toiletries & toilet rolls. Also she was surprised at the shoppers behaviour which she said seemed to be manic! Get a grip people!!

Don't forget all you greedy, selfish shoppers that Lidl's opening tomorrow, so if you can get there nice and early you could clear their shelves as well.

Cue - traffic gridlock around 6th Cross Road/Fulwell  at dawn- Frankly I’m astonished at the  lack of social awareness I’m seeing. 

One question:- Does anyone know what people are doing with all the Toilet Rolls they have bought?

Masturbating?

People are not listening, we can't stop these people, I had my NORMAL month delivery last Wednesday, by the time I need more food (milk and bread and veg are local) I probably wont be able to get what I need, as I go into a 12 week lockdown. Think on folks

There is some good news !!!

I am at home feeling poorly but my neighbors have been great dropping notes through my door offering to help with shopping and stuff. 

I get my veggies from an on line supplier, and they have been hit by the same locusts who presumably cleared the supermarkets. They can't be hard up, the veggies are organic and not cheap, they did not want spinach or okra, so I went for them :) 

Actually I really don't feel much like cooking atm so maybe the locusts have done me a service

Check out the Milk and More website, the milkman delivers a whole load of stuff as well as milk and juices in returnable glass

Lovely idea, as everyone seems to have gone mad. I speak to so many people that are against all this panic buying so who the hell is doing it.  Eggs flown of the shelf, they have a limited shelf life, meat gone - how big are their freezers.  I can't do anything about that but at least neighbours are rallying around and offering help.  So some good in the world and not all selfish

Sue Clarke said:

There is some good news !!!

I am at home feeling poorly but my neighbors have been great dropping notes through my door offering to help with shopping and stuff. 

I get my veggies from an on line supplier, and they have been hit by the same locusts who presumably cleared the supermarkets. They can't be hard up, the veggies are organic and not cheap, they did not want spinach or okra, so I went for them :) 

Actually I really don't feel much like cooking atm so maybe the locusts have done me a service

Check out the Milk and More website, the milkman delivers a whole load of stuff as well as milk and juices in returnable glass

Waitrose were opened only to the over 70's from 8-9 this morning, well done to them. It was extraordinary how many people clearly nowhere near that age were queueing at 7.30. The Waitrose staff politely sent them away. At 8.30 the queueing crowd was back, perhaps they should now learn the lesson and the example set by the over 70's and only buy what you need and not because it's there...FORGET 'I'll get it before anyone else does' it's unbecoming!.

I am 72 years old and usually buy my needs each day. I hadn't heard about this special hour due to being informed yesterday that I had Prostate cancer. My mind obviously elsewhere and not interested in food at all. Does anybody know if Waitrose are doing this daily?

Yes they do but weekend times may vary.

Went to Kingston this morning, 11am so not especially early

Sainsburys Surrey Basin limiting purchases to 3 items on a lot of lines and 2 on a select few

They did have fresh fruit and veg and are refilling shelves, no eggs, pasta or loo rolls of course but that will be restocked in a couple of days as they are now limiting sales they can hopefully catch up, apparently there are lots of jobs for van drivers and shelf fillers for large retailers

The market is open and lots of fruit and veg and fish man was there but no eggs till Tuesday next week

Waitrose, under John Lewis clearly had a delivery of loo rolls, saw one woman with 4 packs of 12 so clearly no limitations! Lots of people with 3 packs

Stay safe all, it will not last forever!

Mike Newson. Do you have someone to get stuff for you given your circumstances. Please shout if can get you some bits and bobs

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service