Knife point robbery on the green Friday 18th Jan, at 8pm.

Suspect is described as a black male, 18 to 20 yrs old wearing dark clothing and a black balaclava.

Last seen running into Ormond Ave.

Any info contact

Views: 911

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What on earth have we opened ourselves up to, I was going up Station Road near the Post Office when a chap, I often see riding his bike around Hampton said hello, I asked him if he was alright, too which he replied, "I was walking across the Green when two blokes, I think about 16/18 stopped me, threatened me, asked if I wanted to be 'bottled', I pointed out to them someone I said was an off duty policeman and they ran off".  This was about 12.40 today.  

It was also his 78th Birthday!

PS. When I got home I thought I would call the Police, dialled 101, I explained what had happened also that it was the second incident in 3/4 days in the same place,  RESPONSE was I don't have enough information to forward it on to the police!!!!

What a useless disinterested service. 

What do you mean "what have we opened ourselves up to" ?

Forgive me but isn't it all too obvious, when was the last time you saw a policeman? The force gets cut, you can't call them without going through and being vetted by a call centre, somewhere, and 'their decision' will dictate whether they think you are worthy to speak to the local police. 999 is, maybe, a little different.  The Community Police contact number is a switched off mobile.  Twickenham Police Station reroutes to a Twickenham Riverside Police answer phone.

Or perhaps Monday was just a bad day to call!  

jen said:

What do you mean "what have we opened ourselves up to" ?

No I don't believe it was a bad day Ian, the man stabbed in Kew got the news, not us, another one in broad daylight, because someone was actually knifed got the media and the local MP. Worries me now (the Green and the poor man you spoke to), too near for my liking.  Never see a police person in our neck of the woods unless something really big happens.  Where has the local bobby gone? Don't feel safe anymore

There could be a connection between the Kew incident and our Hampton Green robbery.

Officers are appealing for information after a man was stabbed in Kew on Sunday, 20th January.

Police were called to Royal Parade at 07:54 hours and found a man, aged 57, suffering from a stab injury.

He was taken to a nearby hospital where his injuries were deemed not to be life-changing or life-threatening.

It is believed that the victim was walking to his car when he was attacked by a man attempting to carry out a robbery.

At this stage, it is not believed any of the victim’s possessions were taken.

A knife was recovered at the scene and no other injuries were reported.

Officers from the South West Command Unit are investigating and believe the suspect to be a black male wearing a dark hoodie and a snood at the time of the incident.

Janice Merritt said:

No I don't believe it was a bad day Ian, the man stabbed in Kew got the news, not us, another one in broad daylight, because someone was actually knifed got the media and the local MP. Worries me now (the Green and the poor man you spoke to), too near for my liking.  Never see a police person in our neck of the woods unless something really big happens.  Where has the local bobby gone? Don't feel safe anymore

Ian has a point regarding the lack of 'visible' police in Hampton. However, technology enables the police to respond quickly and accurately when required and they can be more efficient & mobile by focusing on a larger area in vehicles. Obviously visible Police on our streets provide the ultimate deterrent to criminals, but local communities are now becoming more active with a helping hand from technology.

We all know that the whole of London is 'overstretched' at the moment regarding Police resources. That's why the community needs to assist the Police with useful and proactive information without placing themselves at any risk whatsoever.

Nowadays we have plenty of CCTV in the area, if possible, I'd recommend making local businesses (especially shopkeepers) immediately aware of incidents like this as they can provide a valuable surveillance service for the community. No doubt this group would have been 'caught' on CCTV at some point.

Unfortunately, we now live in a city where personal security is an important consideration for us all. But technology is helping to protect us. 

I think awareness is key for us and our children. See the Metropolitan Police website for further advice regarding staying safe.

Unfortunately we do not have a lot of CCTVs in this area the only one on Station Road, is the World's end pub, the next one is by little Sainsburys so not putting many people's minds at rest.  There are lots in Richmond Town Centre. I looked into this sometime ago and have spoken to councillors, too expensive to put in and monitor

And I would add that, notwithstanding safety concerns, ubiquitous CCTVs are not necessarily welcomed by everyone (me, for one).

Why CCTV bothers law abiding folk I will never know.

The Police would not have caught Marsha's murderer without it.

Because CCTV is used as a replacement for front-line police (hat-tip Ian and Janice)

Because CCTV can be and is abused by persons with ulterior motives (who is watching? how is that data used?)

Because if a citizen is 'law abiding folk' then they should be free from surveillance and the presumption of guilt

Because CCTV inverts the democratic presumption that the people oversee their government (and not the other way round).

Because I do have something to hide: my privacy, associations, and movements.

Because I do have something to hide: my privacy, associations, and movements.

What are you actually scared of?

I don't care if I'm on CCTV, ever.

I'm not a criminal and have nothing to hide, ever.

I'm sorry you do.

It does me no harm.

Would you rather Levi Bellfield was still at large???

Also remember the two guys from the recent Hampton Cellar robberies would not have been identified had there not been any CCTV.

Matt, I once shared your view and I understand and respect it. But in my view, there is no presumption of guilt within the context of the use of CCTV.

However, there is a misconception regarding CCTV in general, but specifically surveillance. Law abiding people are not being constantly monitored and identified via CCTV. Most of the data/footage is used for a very specific purpose, mostly post-event rather than 'live' or real-time. Obviously, real-time monitoring does exist for vehicle/traffic law enforcement, to protect property in commercial or sensitive locations, or areas with a high risk of crime. But again the footage is used for a very specific purpose, not to track or identify law-abiding people.

I value the safety and security of my fellow humans more than any privacy concerns that I may have. But I agree that the technology needs to be robust and free from abuse etc. 

The benefits seem to outweigh the negatives in my view, especially if you dig a little deeper regarding very serious crime prevention (as mentioned in this thread).

Finally, you are aware that CCTV has been used as evidence to investigate alleged international criminal government behavior recently.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service