Hampton People's Network

Bringing People Together

Hello Hello

You may be aware that on Sunday 14th August the London Surrey Cycle Classic will be powering through not only the borough but also this very ward. The event is intended to provide a rehearsal for the Olympic events which will be happening in 2012.

Of course this is a very exciting event and is a great showcase for the borough.

However, and there's always a however, you do need to be aware that this event will cause quite widespread disruption for the roads in the area and the public transport serving those roads. So if you are planning to drive anywhere on that day you need to know the following

ON SUNDAY 14TH AUGUST

From SIX AM the following road bridges will be closed to all traffic (other than the bikes!)  Richmond Bridge, Kingston Bridge, Hampton Court Bridge.  The route affecting Richmond bridge will start re-opening from 1130am but Kingston Bridge and Hampton Court Bridge will remain closed until THREE PM.

So if you want to cross the river you will need to do so either at Twickenham Bridge on the A316 or go to Walton. Remember lots of other people will be having the same idea!

Bushy Park will be closed to all traffic midnight to midnight

This map is a very good indicator of the road closures

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/Richmond_LB_Road_Closure_Map...

and this one tells you when they'll be reopening

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/London_Section_Road_Closures...

On the first map if you're hoping to drive into the red ringed area before 1130am on Sunday you won't be able to do so. ALSO if you know anybody who is hoping to drive out of the red ringed area before 1130am (perhaps they have a plane to catch, hospital visiting, etc, etc) they won't be able to do so, so it may be worth checking they're aware of the restrictions as they won't be driving anywhere until the roads reopen.

BUSES

I raised the issue of the 111 and 216 bus services at the drop in meetings as, remarkably, they hadn't been listed on the TFL information bus service suspension notice board!

This is the response I have received regarding their status

111 - On Sunday 14 August, between 0400 and 1500, route 111 will have no service between Hampton Church and Kingston due to the Surrey Classic Cycle Road Race. Buses will be diverted to start and terminate at Fulwell Garage via High Street, Hampton Road and Stanley Road

216 - On Sunday 14 August, between 0400 and 1500, Route 216 will have no service between Hampton Church and Kingston due to the Surrey Classic Cycle road race. Buses will be diverted to start and terminate at Fulwell Garage via High Street, Hampton Road and Stanley Road.

As I say, it's a great opportunity for the borough but best to be forewarned of potential disruption

Views: 5009

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The bike ride goes past our other pub, The Kings Arms in Hampton Court so a good spot to stop for a drink and watch the race if anyone fancies a jolly afternoon out!!

Because the Pub sells cold beer and has toilets !

I am really looking forward to this trial event, luckily I have friends on the route where we can watch from, also with cold beer toilets and a BBQ.  Roll on 2012 too.

Cold Beer Toilets? There's lavish for you!

Jacqueline Prout said:

Because the Pub sells cold beer and has toilets !

I am really looking forward to this trial event, luckily I have friends on the route where we can watch from, also with cold beer toilets and a BBQ.  Roll on 2012 too.

Good for Sarah, Simon and Kate for mentioning The Kings Arms. They've got two great, thriving pubs, let's support them. While the 'out' route goes through the park, the back run is along Hampton Court Road towards Kingston. So the best place to see both is The Kings Arms. Riders due past at approx 09:35 and again at 11:40.

Across Bushy Park, I'm helping organise a family fun day at The Queen Dowager, Teddington . If no-one objects I'll put it up as an EVENT later this morning. 

I can see what you are saying Thomas! This has been mentioned in a previous post, and it would be an idea to keep 'advertising' in it's own place?

P.S If any of the cyclists loses keys to bike locks etc, then we will be available to unlock them - Island Locks Ltd 24 Hour Emergency Locksmiths :)

Thomas Gerrard said:

A very informative post Gareth, thank you............followed almost immediately by another advert! Why would anyone want to sit outside of a pub when you can sit in Bushy Park opposite?

Can't we have a page solely for people to advertise?

Good thing that the cyclists aren't going through Hampton near the Station Road / Gander Green area as it would cause chaos in this featureless dump of a 'hood. Probably get verbal abuse shouted at them from the chavs in the World's End pub or bottles thrown at them from the feral kids that populate the 'play area' at Oldfield Road/Station Road!!!!!
Back to the Kings Arms - but they do excellent breakfasts (residents and non residents)

"Chavs in the Worlds End pub"! What do you consider a Chav as I am sure the odd person on here would take offence to that? Not that I personally am a regular in the Worlds End, only popping in now and again, I always find the pub nice and welcoming and know a lot of the people who frequent the pub on a regular basis, none of whom I would call Chavs!

As for the green, of course there are going to be gatherings of kids on the evenings, as has always been the case with parks. I for one used to do it, meeting friends at the local parks then perhaps going onto a youth club? But these clubs are now gone. I agree that they can get loud and would do well to learn how to use a bin, but I, nor anyone I know has ever been subjected to direct verbal abuse or had bottles thrown at me.

I think some people want Hampton to be this quaint little village straight out of a fairytale, but get in the real world and get out your back sides!

Andy Kapp said:

Good thing that the cyclists aren't going through Hampton near the Station Road / Gander Green area as it would cause chaos in this featureless dump of a 'hood. Probably get verbal abuse shouted at them from the chavs in the World's End pub or bottles thrown at them from the feral kids that populate the 'play area' at Oldfield Road/Station Road!!!!!
Well done Jason, Hampton village is a lovely place to live. Andy's remarks are not helpful.  The World's End pub is a very well run establishment and a real locals pub with a complete mix of backgrounds. So many people work voluntaryly to make Hampton a nice place to live, may be Andy you would like to help us all? 

Jason Dorner said:

"Chavs in the Worlds End pub"! What do you consider a Chav as I am sure the odd person on here would take offence to that? Not that I personally am a regular in the Worlds End, only popping in now and again, I always find the pub nice and welcoming and know a lot of the people who frequent the pub on a regular basis, none of whom I would call Chavs!

As for the green, of course there are going to be gatherings of kids on the evenings, as has always been the case with parks. I for one used to do it, meeting friends at the local parks then perhaps going onto a youth club? But these clubs are now gone. I agree that they can get loud and would do well to learn how to use a bin, but I, nor anyone I know has ever been subjected to direct verbal abuse or had bottles thrown at me.

I think some people want Hampton to be this quaint little village straight out of a fairytale, but get in the real world and get out your back sides!

Andy Kapp said:

I agree entirely Henry, I've said before and I'll say again that I simply don't recognise the picture of Hampton that's put forward by 'Andy Kapp' (I won't stop to question how an area can on the one hand be described as 'featureless' and then on the other go on to mention two features, i.e. The Green and The Playground!)

We live in a great place, we should be proud of it!

Charles Henry Atkinson said:

Well done Jason, Hampton village is a lovely place to live. Andy's remarks are not helpful.  The World's End pub is a very well run establishment and a real locals pub with a complete mix of backgrounds. So many people work voluntaryly to make Hampton a nice place to live, may be Andy you would like to help us all? 

Jason Dorner said:

Andy Kapp said:

Well said Audrey.

If anyone has seen 'Hot Fuzz' I think Andy would relate well to the Neighbour hood watch representative that's in the film!!

I should say that I am not picking out Andy as a person, I don't know him, but simply because if he is going to make comments as he has done, he should have firm ground for doing so?

So Andy, Call me a Chav for frequenting the WE pub if thats what you like, I won't take offence as the other 99%of chavs are behind me!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by paul johnston.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service