Morning all

This has just landed in my inbox - slightly edited to remove jargon

Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen.

Thames Water has two serious water leaks on large mains in Thames St / Hampton Court Rd Hampton. As these leaks are close to each other it has been agreed that Thames Water should complete both carriageway leaks under the same traffic management plan.

All west bound traffic flows will be maintained at all times. The right hand turn into Church St will be maintained at all times. East bound traffic will be diverted into High St Hampton and diverted into Church St and then back onto Hampton Court Rd. TfL London buses have had input into this proposal.

All of these works are to be undertaken during the school half term period 25th October to the 31st of October.

Thames Water will be working extended hours at the Councils request from 07:00am to 19:00pm every day.

FAIR WARNING FOLKS!

Views: 3201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I also tip my hat to whoever thought it was a good idea to close off half the road along Hanworth Rd right on the border with Hampton Lane this morning,  and start resurfacing works at 0800 on a week day. This being a road with three Secondary schools along it, (plus a primary school along Buckingham Road) and where large school coaches travel back and forth at that time of day.

Genius.

Leaving it for an hour or so before starting work might have helped.

I would have thought that as the A308 roadworks have overran by a week causing severe congestion then Thames Water would have had the decency, or been forced, to work work weekends or longer days to finish the work as soon as possible.  However, Ive not yet seen any evidence of increased work activity. 

Living here for over 20 Years, and at least 1/8 of that time there has been road works by Thames Water on Thames Street.

I am frankly ##cked off with it, it is a joke that is not even funny. Today as with every other day this week there is nobody doing anything, just a big hole in the road - no workmen, no vans and no ##ucking consideration for anybody. I am seriously considering filming the empty site doing nothing - tumbleweeds and all.

Gareth, maybe the council could do something and ask why no work has being done all this week? 

I have noticed that the sign on the roadworks in Hampton High Street gives a date of 12 November 2014 - has this now been changed as initially these were to be finished during the half term break??

Why is it that once the road is dug up, the roadworks are allowed to take forever to complete?  I'm sure if penalties were incurred for the extra days it took to complete that work would be carried out 24/7.  The roads in the Richmond Borough are congested enough without the addition of endless roadworks - enough is enough!!

Are the council able to say when these works will be completed?  Now that the transport engineer is back at his desk, surely he can do something about this situation.

It is now beyond a joke...if Hampton were an island we would probably have better access to our homes. Thames water etc seem able to change the goal posts without a thought in the world to the inconvenience caused to Hampton residents.  Time to protest I think!  Could someone at TW and RC give us an apology and a list of when this will be finished and an idea of how much more there is to come in the near and distant future.   If there are insufficient workmen to carry out the work bring in more from other areas or train some of the young unemployed out there looking for a job.

Today was horrendous! It took me 50 minutes to travel between Harfield Road and Hampton Station. Since there works have been in, there does not seem to be much activity in the rather large hole they have dug. They certainly seem to be taking there time. As for the works in the High Street near the Jolly Coopers, no one has been working there today.
I shudder to think when the next works will be!

I cannot believe the lack of consideration being displayed by Thames Water, there has been little apparent activity on the 'Holes' for the past few days, considering the works should have finished by now.

What are our clerks at the Council doing? Andrew Darvill, Assistant Director, Traffic and Transport, who puts his name to Orders telling us what we can and can't do, perhaps, should be given one that he can understand, "Get the mess sorted out that you have helped create NOW and how dare you issue Orders for works in the same area at the same time. If you can't, won't or are unable to sort it perhaps a new career should be seriously contemplated were incompetence doesn't matter".
David John Williams said:

Today was horrendous! It took me 50 minutes to travel between Harfield Road and Hampton Station. Since there works have been in, there does not seem to be much activity in the rather large hole they have dug. They certainly seem to be taking there time. As for the works in the High Street near the Jolly Coopers, no one has been working there today.
I shudder to think when the next works will be!

I've managed to avoid Thames Street when I remember but does anyone know why the level crossing is now staying down for a minimum of two trains? The tailbacks have reached beyond Priory Rd and down to the A308 with idiots overtaking the queue and turning into Ashley Road or Station Rd. I waited 16 minutes outside the junior school last week - half term so it was quieter. 

The level crossing barriers are also a considerable annoyance. As Kerry W said, they are down far too long. When I was waiting at The junction of Station Road and Percy Road, the barriers came down and it was five minutes before the train arrived at the platform and then another two minutes for the next train. In that time, cars and other vehicles are overtaking on double white lines. I have seen so many near misses (head on and pedestrians nearly being struck) lately. So if I am stuck at the junction, which is about normal, the bus is about 12 minutes late! I have reported this issue to the police, but it is obviously not a priority. Sadly thus might be another example of something will only be done after a serious accident.

On or about the 9th October Network Rail lengthened the time the level crossing at the junction of Percy and Station Roads now stays down, their reason,..”in case a train slips on leaves”.  What leaves?

I spoke to Network Rail and they stated they probably didn’t bother to consult with or inform the local authority of this intended action, and as far as they are concerned it’s not their problem but one for the local authority and particularly the Highways Department .

Gareth gave me the contact details for Cllr. Stephen Speak, Cabinet Member for Highways and Streetscene, after explaining the problem to him he replied as below:-

"I'll ask council officers to take this up with their Network Rail contacts and check if there is a specific reason why barrier down times have been increased and whether it is a permanent or temporary change (and at what times of day).  I'd like also to know if the change impacts the Strawberry Hill level crossing too.

I'll also ask officers also to speak with TfL in case they want to lobby Network Rail about a consequent delay to buses.

As you have identified Network Rail do seem to prioritise rail safety and their own operational requirements before considering the community and Highways impact.  Zac Goldsmith MP and I did in fact meet with Network Rail in August to discuss this significant and longstanding problem across all level crossings, but are awaiting their proposals".

However a month on and surprise surprise nothing has changed, apart from the road works making it worse than ever.

With regards to impatient drivers dodging the queue by going down the wrong side of the road, including some 216 buses, traffic coming from Station Road cutting the corner and going across the pavement, having told Cllr. Speak this it does seem obvious that the safety and wellbeing of pedestrians and residents is of little concern or importance as this situation is ignored and allowed to continue.  

God forbid if something terrible happens as a consequence, who would one hold responsible?   I bet you we'd get knocked over in the rush for cover! 

KerryW said:

I've managed to avoid Thames Street when I remember but does anyone know why the level crossing is now staying down for a minimum of two trains? The tailbacks have reached beyond Priory Rd and down to the A308 with idiots overtaking the queue and turning into Ashley Road or Station Rd. I waited 16 minutes outside the junior school last week - half term so it was quieter. 

And to cap it all the trains are appalling at the moment too. Transport misery in Hampton..
My sympathy Amanda, and all who travel on this line.
Level crossing gates extra time - leaves on the line
I won't ask, but, leaves on the line as well, good odds offered!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service