Only a small point I guess in the grand scheme of  local things, however does anyone else find it irritating that anyone getting off a train at Hampton in the evening rush hour, has to wait 5 minutes whilst everyone squeezes through a narrow exit? There hasnt been a guard there for at least 20 years and not everyone had an oyster card that they need to 'touch out', so why make it so difficult? Surely the gap can be widened to make it easier?

Views: 2443

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have lived in Hampton since 1973.  The shops closed Monday, Wednesday and Saturday afternoons.  There was a wonderful toy shop in Station Road owned by Mr and Mrs Baker.  When my girls were young they used to love going in to what was an "Aladdin's Cave"  Things were paid for weekly and put away for Christmas!  Lots of pocket money toys and the most charming owners.  We had 2 greengrocers, the one owned by the East family in Oldfield and one in Station Road, which is now the pet shop, run by Jean.  The quality was always good, nothing was prepacked dictating how many or how much you could buy, and nothing was ever too much trouble.  There were always queues at both.

Don and Mavis Bull had the corner shop in Oldfield/Percy Road with their dear dog Sandy. My eldest daughter went to the playgroup in Oldfield Road with Jean.  She was wonderful and everyone was sad when she closed. Another bakers was in Priory Road where you could buy fresh yeast for your home baking.  The Post Office in Station Road was a pleasure to go in.  There was also a fabric shop, which was next to Asters, they also made beautiful ladies clothing.

Just some of my memories of Hampton.

Both Brian and Jane have mentioned old shops in Hampton which were obviously popular, but have sadly disappeared.  One reason must be that the owners retired, moved or passed away, but why would a viable business not be taken over by someone else?  Could it be that these shops disappeared because they were less convenient/more expensive than supermarkets, and were actually not latterly as popular as they were originally?  Or is it that retailers don't want to take over someone else's shop, however viable it might be?  Of course, this doesn't mean that any newer shops will not be as popular, as only time will tell, but it would be a shame if we can't retain "community-based" shops which add to the character of the area.

Nice memories too Jane

I had forgotten about Mr Bakers toy shop, there was another where Birdies Bikes is now (Adams i think) and another where the Chinese takeaway is (adjacent to the station) and it was called Keeps.

Greengrocers eh? To the immediate right of the Jolly Coopers was Sheedys, the bathroom shop in Station Road was ?? Hartleys further along, in the village was Hampton Greengrocers, East's as you have mentioned and Butterfield/Hopes in Priory Road and you're correct, nothing was too much trouble for any of them.

The Post Office, in those days occupied what is now St Johns, there was another in Broad Lane, opposite Falcon Road, another in Hanworth Road (Marling Park was it?) and of course Mr & Mrs Petit in Priory Road

We kids never addressed any of these shopkeepers by their Christian names then! 

The tile shop in Station Road was a Co-op.  We also had a wool shop, Barclays Bank and another butchers where the bed store and hairdressers is.  There were also some shops at the Hatherop Road end of Holly Bush Lane.  One, I remember,  was a wool shop! There was a gentleman's outfitters next to the Police station. He sold Church's shoes. One of the best shops was in Ashley Road, opposite the Junior school - a Hardware shop, selling everything from a couple of screws to gallons of paint!  I can't recall the name, but again, nothing was too much trouble and the lady who owned it was a fountain of knowledge on all things DIY.  

The Hardware Store was H Newton and the gentlemans outfitters was B V Clarke, I remember the wool shop in Hollybush Lane and it was flanked by the paraffin shop (Wares?) and a Fuller, Smith & Turner off licence

I think the old wool shop and other shops in Hollybush Lane were originally part of my workshops which are gated on Hatherop Road, backing onto the side of the old shops which are now two houses. We still have doors on one side facing into the gardens.

I can vaguely remember the old shops before they were converted.

Trevor Mason said:

The Hardware Store was H Newton and the gentleman's outfitters was B V Clarke, I remember the wool shop in Hollybush Lane and it was flanked by the paraffin shop (Wares?) and a Fuller, Smith & Turner off licence

Please Bryan don't ever stop!

There must be some journalist locally that could tapr Bryan and then write the book surely? I used to live in Staines donkeys years ago and someone did just that.

Random memories - my parents moved into Hampton in 1960, and I retained a connection until 2003. I attended the infants school when it was located next to the Railway Bell (now sold for flats, I think?), and we had to trail over the railway footbridge each day for lunch at the junior school. I can remember when The Avenue was an unadopted road, all bumps and puddles. Haffendens newsagents next to Glenda's hairdressers on the triangular corner junction of Broad Lane and Percy Road. Mrs  Searle ran the sweetie shop on Broad Lane, next what was the post office opposite the Falcon Road junction, with the garage that did MOT's on the corner. Mr Haffenden had another shop on Station Road, next to Lusher's shoe shop. Martins chemist, next to the Cavan bakery and an off licence, opposite Barton & Wyatt estate agent at the bottom of the bridge, which then became a dress shop run by two ladies. One of the two half shops next door used to be a sweet shop - I remember Saturday trips there for mint imperials with my father. The lady serving had very thick makeup and heavily pencilled eyebrows - fascinating to a five year old. The shop opposite the station exit next to Alderson's garage used to be a traditional hardware shop run by an elderly gentlemen whom my father referred to as "Finkel" and I can still remember the smell (sorry, this is beginning to sound Proustian!). 

I was interested to learn of the parade of shops on Oldfield Road - when I was young child, I remember queueing with my mother at the fish shop, buying groceries from the Magnet stores on the corner, where they had a ham leg on a white china stand. Mum also bought fruit and veg from Mr East snr and then Jnr, and I worked for Doug and Verle as their Saturday girl in the early seventies.

Play equipment in Hatherop Road rec - swing boats etc, all removed now, I think. And heaven's how boring Carlisle Park used to be, although I used to play tennis there when in my teens. I was pleasantly surprised when I took my toddler daughters there some 20 odd years ago.

Station - yes, I remember Newtons and also WH smiths, just - and when a return journey to Kingston cost 64p

I remember the Nurserylands when it was just that, all broken glasshouses and old carnation plants struggling to survive. All Saints church  used to have its summer fete on the land on the left hand side as you head towards little Sainsburys, which really did have a country feel to it. 

Just thought - the library at Rose Hill, and the incredibly heavy wooden front door and always that wonderful smell (sorry) of polish. Turn left for children's book, right for adults. The old buff library tickets and the sound of the date stamp. And the big chestnut tree outside on the left into which my mother reversed in the car. (She never did tell my father!)

Happy times......!

I have since been talking to an elderly resident. He brought me a book which was published by the Hampton Society around 2007 and covers memories of older residents right back before the war. It has old photos and diagrams of the shops and it is quite a hefty tome. I gave it back to him saying I want my very own copy and reading here I think you would all be interested too. Is anyone here a member of the Hampton Society? If so how would we get a copy?

Hampton is on a branch line to nowhere and if they disrupt train services out of W'loo the Hampton branch always falls-off first..

Living in Esher or Surbiton is far better!

Just found this site, I was born in Hampton 1960 we lived at 49 Oldfield Road, my Great Grandfather first lived there, Mrs Hancocks was next door to us, I was reading about the shops and my Mum used to work in the Magnet grocery store Oldfield road, the owner was Sheila, and remember having to help out one Saturday morning with Mum as Sheila got held up, I used to love helping out. My Mum and Dad moved to Australia in 1988 and I followed them in 89.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service