Hi Everyone, My Hotmail E-Mail account has been 'Hacked' causing me unbelievable grief. The 'Fraudster' W@yahoo.com, we think he lives in Canada, has contacted all my contacts telling them I am stranded in The Netherlands with no money, asking them for a loan of £1300 to be paid back on my return. I am hoping that nobody likes me that much !!! He has changed all my security ie Date of birth, my mobile telephone number. Therefore, I cannot open my account. Microsoft have so far been useless. How can you stop this from happening to you?. Regularly check your profile and regularly change passwords. Paul Cook (my IT man) has been a great help. But the problem has not been sorted yet. I am sitting here trying to change my contacts having frozen my Bank Accounts. Once the problem is sorted. Paul tells me there is added security I can put on my PC. I will let you all know what it is. I shall now go into the back garden and hang myself !!! Good luck Bryan.

Views: 546

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh dear, Bryan, sounds awful. Hope you get this all resolved soon.

Thank you Paul, I have also remembered. The BT chap at the BT Call Centre told me do not save Passwords on your Browser. I take this to mean, not to keep signed in. I think !!! Bryan.

Owch hotmail yahoo and others have been caught by this http://heartbleed.com doesn't mean you'll have your account cracked but it does lower the bar somewhat.

Other thing to bare in mind is Microsoft have finally stopped supporting XP so it will no longer have any security updates.

In terms of saving passwords that rather depends on the system, windows and android systems get a fair number of exploits used while mac/Linux/IOS tends to have at worse proof of concept only.

Really feel for you, I've had both my e bay and Vodafone  accounts hacked in the last 6 months. I was fortunate not to have lost anything though. Some dirty SOB ordered £1200 worth of clothing on e bay on my account, fortunately pay pal contacted me and the transaction was cancelled. Another one ordered a new smart phone on my Vodafone account, when Vodafone sent a text to me confirming my order I contacted them right away. Both cases are now with the companies fraud departments. I think my problems started because I had both accounts stored as favourites on my browser, straight in with no need to key in my passwords. It's so hard to keep ahead of these criminals, but I have now taken all my accounts away from the browser, change my passwords regularly and although I've always run Norton have now installed anti Mal-Ware

As a business with a hotmail account, I should say that I get lots of these letters, mostly from business clients calling me " my dearest" or similar and saying I am the last hope for funds to be transferred. These things are so common now, I don't think anyone is likely to believe it. Someone must, I guess or they wouldn't do it.
If you find yourself stranded abroad, you are unlikely to get help.....

Hi Everybody, I am hoping my nightmare is now over. I decided against hanging myself, mainly because my wife had cut off the bough of the tree I intended to use!!! After six days of trying we have managed to close my 'Hacked' Hotmail E-Mail account. I found Microsoft Support to be useless. the only way we could communicate was via the internet each time my password was changed, my account would not accept the change. We then sent messages to microsoft who say they will reply within 24 hours(If you are lucky). At least with BT you get to speak to a human being, even though he is in Pakistan and you can't understand him !!! I am 80 years old my knowledge ends once I have switched the bloody thing on. But I now know I should change my passwords and regularly check my profile. Good luck. Bryan.
Sarah Burley said:

As a business with a hotmail account, I should say that I get lots of these letters, mostly from business clients calling me " my dearest" or similar and saying I am the last hope for funds to be transferred. These things are so common now, I don't think anyone is likely to believe it. Someone must, I guess or they wouldn't do it.
If you find yourself stranded abroad, you are unlikely to get help.....

Great. Glad things are better and good news on the garden front :-)

Sarah Burley said:

As a business with a hotmail account,

I have had similar messages from people whose email accounts have been hacked in this way, but I understand from my sister-in-law that there is a remedy for this.  If the hacking programme works by going though your email address book in order, then putting a bogus address at the start (eg, aaaa-aaa@aaa.co.uk) should foil it - presumably the address won't be recognised, so it stops looking.  I'm no expert, but I believe that email addresses which start with a number will appear at the beginning of the list so, if you have any of those, you will need to prefix the bogus address with numbers until it appears on top.  The hacking so far seems to affect mainly Microsoft operating systems - I normally use a MacBook and no-one has so far reported these messages emanating from my address list.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service