Good evening all Hamptonians,

Having started a previous discussion about Station Road and been inundated with replies from other concerned individuals, I met this evening with Cllr Gareth Roberts, who has been enormously helpful and has applauded my idea that we start a campaign to make Hampton roads safer. He has alerted me to the successful '20 is plenty' campaign in Merton, and I will be contacting them shortly for some ideas and support. I would like to initiate a similar campaign here in Hampton, and I am prepared to do as much as I can to make it happen - signs to prompt drivers to slow down, especially where pedestrians and cyclists are most vulnerable.

What I need now, is you! Your concerns, ideas and a little bit of your time. I know how busy you all are, and I have been too, but I can't do this on my own!

I have set up an email account called 20isplenty4hampton@gmail.com

Bombard me! I shall also set up a public meeting with a bit more advance notice this time, and a bit later in the evening, so everyone has a chance to attend. Watch this space! And dangerous, irresponsible drivers? Stop it now, we're after you!

Here's the national website with downloadable content http://www.20splentyforus.org.uk/

Views: 4578

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Christine,

Not surprised I am not alone in my experience down by the level crossing though sorry that the mindset of those people is such. 

As for Janice's point 

"Although unlawful if it is clear and drivers are careful of pedestrians, then I think it is ok.  As I have said before the biggest offenders are the buses, if I am halfway across the road and an odd mad driver comes along, mad I know, but I slow down my walking and actually wave them down."

My point in posting is that the drivers are not careful. Hence my somewhat idealistic we should all pledge to be better people. Maybe they think they have taken precautions but lets face it how can you predict what you are going to encounter when you drive up the wrong side of the road and try to turn across a lane of traffic on a blind corner. As for the case that bus drivers are the biggest offenders I would disagree but perhaps it is a matter of perception. The amount of times I have been the front of the top deck of the 111 and see drivers cutting in front of buses or trying to have a stand off on narrow sections of the road. I have to tip my hat to bus drivers that make it down this road with cars down both sides and impatient drivers it is a near miracle. 

My final point on this (and getting slightly back on track) is if the whole reason for adding signage is to make people think I think the 20mph signs aren't really right. Again it may be my perception of it, I grew up on a road where the speed limit was 50mph, granted that road was much wider and no parking was allowed either side, but the reason no one was run over all the time was because people were considerate of each other and slowed down when they saw someone wanting to turn into a road or cross the street. 

I guess to make a long story shorter. I am for people using more common sense, whether they are walking riding a bike or driving a car or bus. I think this is better achieved by us acting more like a village and caring for one another and being aware of our faults. Which hey this thread is a start. :) I personally wouldn't like the look of additional signage on the street especially when the rules it states would not be enforced by police (as they do not currently seem to enforce the 30mph limit).

I have to say I am surprised by the passion of some of the people on this board. I have only recently joined and did not imagine people to be so enthused. 

Christine Tanner said:

Hello Sally,

I'm sorry you had that experience. I had the same happen to me only last night, twice! They just don't care for human life, nor can they wait. And to put the tin hat on it, I was about to cross Tudor Road junction on Station Road, and a four by four whizzed around the corner without indicating! Luckily, I second - guessed what he was about to do, but it's still not OK!

I am, like yourself, resident along Station Road, but have previously lived in an urban area, which is why I agree with you about motorists considering where they are - in a village, with pedestrians. I drive, through necessity at the moment, but when I get chance, would rather walk everywhere - and this is how I came to realise how many irresponsible drivers there are driving around and through Hampton.

I agree about the daft parking  near the chip shop, I often see cars parked on the corner. No, it's not legal, and I am reporting all this stuff to the Safer Neighbourhood team........they need to be more present to keep a eye on such things, and I suspect the cuts have something to do with that. We don't need to pass a new law to slow people down, just get signage, to develop an awareness among drivers - it does work, as it has been proven in many cities. Please do look at my earlier post, where the links will take you to the national '20 is plenty' campaign website. None of us want to be thought of as helpless pedestrians, and I don't actually perceive anyone as that- just that we are vulnerable, as we don't have a half ton of metal surrounding us, and we are not travelling at 30mph. Statistically, you are far more likely to die from being knocked down at 30mph than 20, so asking for the signage from the council seems like a small price for them to pay. Much cheaper than traffic calming measures like speed humps etc.

I agree that the buses are the worst offenders but would not like to see any more road humps in Hampton. I am not totally convinced that they actually reduce the speed of those that are intent on driving fast. I am also not a huge fan of a 20 mile an hour zone. However, how about trying to arrange a meeting with whoever it is in London Transport that is responsible for bus driver training? I am sure that Hampton is not the only place with similar concerns within Greater London so maybe a consultation with TFL and representatives from other concerned areas?

Hmm as a cyclist and a driver on occasions; It seems everyone wants humps - the roads round here are not maintained as it is. I have seen some very dubious tarmac laying round the village recently which looks like it was just thrown off the back of a lorry - a normal Hampton situation nothing to do with cost cuts. Humps will not deter those idiots racing around on their whiney little scooters that I and others find so annoying (I had an idea about a rope stretched across the road but had to let that one go) . As for the buses; well take a look at the school buses that race around here in the mornings the state of the roads is due in large part to them every morning racing to drop the precious ones at the school gates - the number of potholes and collapsed drains they have caused around here make it a dangerous obstacle course for cyclists. Asking for signs here and there and speed humps (dream on with this council) will do nothing as the ones already in place have proved; a a bit of a joke really as we have the police traffic centre based in Hampton and no police to speak of working round here although I did see two of the the other day but I think they were asking for directions... The only way to reduce speeds round here is dare I say it cameras, hit them in the pocket and they are less likely to hit us - and while we're about it make the schools pay for the upkeep of the roads their buses damage - just a thought anyway.   

It was no laughing matter Christine I was planning it (in my head) until I was informed by an ex policeman that what I was planning was illegal and dangerous - twas such a good idea too :0(. They use Tudor Road as a drag strip zipping up and down at all hours of the day and night and that noise goes straight through you. If you travel along the schools lane you'll see what I mean about the state of the roads, the damage can't possibly be made by a cyclist or an average car and the only other major traffic passing along there are the school busses - lots of them every morning and every night. I agree making things safer for the pedestrians and cyclists but I have very little faith in the council so we shall see what happens.....  

did anyone else get the "FREEBEE PAPER" on friday THE TWICKENHAM &RICHMOND GAZETTE I assume this is produced for the council to inform us all of their good deeds and intentions well for those that missed it on page 2 the article about the 20MPH limits and new cycle routes just sums up this council,they put a photo of cyclists BREAKING THE LAW RIDING 3 ABREAST RULE 66 OF THE HIGHWAY CODE over to you councilors

It may surprise you but that rule is (66) is just advice than being enforced by law, if it's backed by a law such as rule  64 they reference the law and use in bold the words "must"

It is a little confusing I agree, though if you think about it the Highway code is best practice, rather than the Law.

james walsh said:

did anyone else get the "FREEBEE PAPER" on friday THE TWICKENHAM &RICHMOND GAZETTE I assume this is produced for the council to inform us all of their good deeds and intentions well for those that missed it on page 2 the article about the 20MPH limits and new cycle routes just sums up this council,they put a photo of cyclists BREAKING THE LAW RIDING 3 ABREAST RULE 66 OF THE HIGHWAY CODE over to you councilors

are you saying that it is not against the law to ride 3 abreast

Roger Merriman said:

It may surprise you but that rule is (66) is just advice than being enforced by law, if it's backed by a law such as rule  64 they reference the law and use in bold the words "must"

It is a little confusing I agree, though if you think about it the Highway code is best practice, rather than the Law.

james walsh said:

Correct, unless it's backed up by a law it's just advice. so riding on the pavement has a law probating it 

see.

rule 64

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129

james walsh said:

are you saying that it is not against the law to ride 3 abreast

Roger Merriman said:

james walsh said:

the highway code also says that you MUST obay the rules of the highway code

Um no it says this link

the relevant paragraph is this:

Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. See an explanation of the abbreviations.

james walsh said:

the highway code also says that you MUST obay the rules of the highway code

As I said earlier...why can we not arrange to talk to LT about the bus drivers...and after other comments...to school bus drivers too? Face to face discussions between them and those that actually suffer the consequences may be a more effective action?

I'm surprised people think TfL bus drivers are poor drivers. I find them to be be very professional and patient, and don't notice any speeding by red buses. I wish everyone like they did!

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service