Good evening all Hamptonians,

Having started a previous discussion about Station Road and been inundated with replies from other concerned individuals, I met this evening with Cllr Gareth Roberts, who has been enormously helpful and has applauded my idea that we start a campaign to make Hampton roads safer. He has alerted me to the successful '20 is plenty' campaign in Merton, and I will be contacting them shortly for some ideas and support. I would like to initiate a similar campaign here in Hampton, and I am prepared to do as much as I can to make it happen - signs to prompt drivers to slow down, especially where pedestrians and cyclists are most vulnerable.

What I need now, is you! Your concerns, ideas and a little bit of your time. I know how busy you all are, and I have been too, but I can't do this on my own!

I have set up an email account called 20isplenty4hampton@gmail.com

Bombard me! I shall also set up a public meeting with a bit more advance notice this time, and a bit later in the evening, so everyone has a chance to attend. Watch this space! And dangerous, irresponsible drivers? Stop it now, we're after you!

Here's the national website with downloadable content http://www.20splentyforus.org.uk/

Views: 4564

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Can I request a pelican crossing from the station over to the bus stop area on Station road as it is very dangerous crossing up that end of Station road! You take your life in your hands in the morning and evening times :)

Vince Cable, working locally?.....whatever next?

Christine Tanner said:

It certainly is...the person to speak to is Suzette Nicholson and she can be contacted during the week on this address:

Cllr.SNicholson@richmond.gov.uk 

She is working locally with Vince Cable to address road safety issues like these, so any one who would like to voice their concerns please contact her regarding the campaign.

Thea Natasha Sale'Ashley said:

Hi Can I request a pelican crossing from the station over to the bus stop area on Station road as it is very dangerous crossing up that end of Station road! You take your life in your hands in the morning and evening times :)

Still waiting for the Survey!  We have been in Hampton for almost 40years and so many people have meddled with the traffic business and parkin. and it makes no difference often making it worse.  I am fraid there is just too much traffic caused, often, by people who cannot be bothered to walk short distances aymore.  Most of Waitrose customers were going to walk or cycle but this hasn't happened and they are very aggresive drivers. You will find it hard these days to live somewhere without  traffic, parking or other problems! 

Oh dear!  I thought it was about Station Road.  What has Jillian Close got to do with the speed of traffic in Station Road as it doen't go anywhere? Why would they care.

I would be happy to help.  We can formulate a plan and instruct the Councillors 

Why those roads? Residents contacted us and asked for it. Problem is that the current rules ask for 51%of residents in each road to be in favour so that's meant an awful lot of door knocking even for those short roads. I fear the flats in Station Road could prove a large problem in terms of getting the signatures required

G

Christine Tanner said:

Ok, you're on! It would be great to get together especially as you have lived here so long and have good local knowledge.

I have to go now, but I will inbox you with my telephone contact details. Anyone else  you can find who is concerned, please let me know, and we can hold a meeting somewhere - at my flat or the local hostelry/ cafe!

Have a good weekend

Chris T

Would seem that the 51% point then has a point, ie to make sure it really is the Residents choice and not just a vocal few?

Out of interest what is proposed for those roads?

Roger

Gareth Roberts said:

Why those roads? Residents contacted us and asked for it. Problem is that the current rules ask for 51%of residents in each road to be in favour so that's meant an awful lot of door knocking even for those short roads. I fear the flats in Station Road could prove a large problem in terms of getting the signatures required

G

Christine Tanner said:

Ok, you're on! It would be great to get together especially as you have lived here so long and have good local knowledge.

I have to go now, but I will inbox you with my telephone contact details. Anyone else  you can find who is concerned, please let me know, and we can hold a meeting somewhere - at my flat or the local hostelry/ cafe!

Have a good weekend

Chris T

Station road could do with a by-pass.      Oh! It already does! It's called Lower Sunbury road and Percy road. If you don't like Station road use another road...simples!

The discussion has rather been about crossing the road on foot and so on, rather than driving down it, A crossing around the station would seem, if feasible not a bad idea.

Roger

Nigel Planer said:

Station road could do with a by-pass.      Oh! It already does! It's called Lower Sunbury road and Percy road. If you don't like Station road use another road...simples!

I would fully support a crossing linking the station and the bus stop, this said with my pedestrian and driving hat on.

Some footway widening will be required to provide a crossing on the 'pedestrian desire line', there isn't much room at the moment for a 'landing point' on the station side of the road.

But parking shouldn't be affected so can see little reason why anyone would oppose it.

Also, there was a comment about Station Road being used as a 'race track', that sounds like complete hyperbole to me. Station Road isn't used as a race track over any other local road, in fact, The Avenue probably has far higher speeds. In my opinion it weakens the argument when either side have to post such extreme views to make a point.

Saying that though, I would fully support a 20mph zone, if it improves safety for pedestrians (especially close to the playground), which it will as the chance of a fatal accident increases dramatically when speeds increase above 20mph (2.5% chance of a fatal at 20mph, compared to 20% at 30mph and 85% at 40mph). Personally as a father, I would prefer the 2.5% chance as opposed to 20% (or 85% if Nigel Mansell happens to be using the road)...

but then who wouldn't?

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service