Oldfield Road - Traffic Calming / Improved Pedestrian Crossing Points

Hello

Apologies I've been busy over the last few weeks (well when I say busy, I've been on holiday which wasn't really 'busy'!, anyway I digress....)

As promised I have (finally) managed to design a traffic calming scheme for Oldfield Road (East), hopefully you will be able to view it below. I would be interested to hear people's opinions on the design, I'm happy to make amendments obviously. If a general consensus is formed then I will send the plan to the local Councillors and LBR Transport Dept.

What do you think?

Views: 977

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Roger

Fair play. There is a way round that but its even more costly, if the whole section between Station Road and Rose Hill were raised it would reduce the amount of ramps, normally this type of arrangement is classed as a 'home zone'.

Vertical deflection isn't ideal, normally there are other ways, but it would mean removing parking and putting chicanes or planters in. Space is at a premium though, so not sure if they are suitable. 

I too have been wondering why traffic calming is needed in Oldfield Road, when it is so narrow that any significant speed is practically impossible. We need to be sure that our money is being spent on higher priority road issues - Station Road seems a better candidate.

Hello Trevor As a resident I can confirm that speeds can be reached, width of the road does not deter a worrying number of drivers.

Regarding Station Road, a signalised crossing near St Johns or the Petshop could be a way of reducing speeds. If one was installed then the Council might be open to the ideal of reducing the road width (which is massively wide), either building out the footway on each side, or by having a traffic island in the middle which will effectively reduce the lane widths either side. Any changes must not hinder buses and larger vehicles, but would still most likely reduce overall speeds and provide a safe crossing point for those on the Green side who wish to cross.

Hi Belinda

On the issue of satnavs, I noticed my own recently acquired one had a number of errors (eg, speed limits, etc) and my own postcode!  Garmin have a very good website where you can actually advise them of any errors (like sending HGVs down narrow roads).  Apparently, all the satnav manufacturers get together periodically to discuss updates (presumably so they are all coordinated) and then agree amendments.  I don't know if mine have been actioned yet, or how long it takes, but there is often a tendency to assume that nothing can be changed, whereas it might be if you let them know your concerns.

I am an Oldfield Road resident and will agree that the parking is very often difficult. To say that its residents have "too many cars" is being rather short sighted. Residents who have more than one car obviously have them for a reason, not just decoration. We have more than one car, but are a household of four adults who all require transport. In this economic climate, where older children continue to live with parents, this is going to be the consequence.

I think anything that takes pressure off parking and speeding motorists is a good idea, but to take the elitist view that those who have more than one car are somehow cluttering up the road to the detriment of others is ridiculous, when there are a great deal of people who use Oldfield Road as their station car park, often leaving cars overnight or even for several days.

I do think that something should be put at the top of the road by the new houses where for some reason, drivers always speed up and don't think about oncoming traffic!

Murdoch said:

Trevor

Thanks for your response, thats what I meant by 'constructive' comments (still keeping hold of my ball though thanks).

There are two reasons why a CPZ wouldn't work in this situation:-

Firstly, I assume you are not a resident of Oldfield Road(E), Beards Hill or Rose Hill? Apologies if I'm mistaken. Trying to park at 10pm at night is as tricky as trying to park at 10am, yes commuters are a problem during the working day, but then its the residents with too many cars that cause the problem in the evenings (we have 2 cars). A CPZ would not solved this, residents would simply have to pay for a permit but still struggle to park.

And I 100% agree with you that the new development has had disastrous effect on the parking, I make it a net loss of around 15 spaces due to that development (loss of road side space due to driveways + additional cars parked on street).

Secondly, the recent addition of Manuel for Streets (a document that LBR refer to when approving highway designs) states that 'reduced visibility' can help to reduce speeds, as drivers drive with more caution when visibility is limited. Take the bend by the development as an example, only about 5% of drivers take the corner at a normal speed, most crawl round as they aren't sure what's coming. That 5% (boy racers/royal mail vans/cars trying to beat the level crossing) could be slowed by raising this section of road, this would give the added bonus of providing an easier crossing point for wheelchair users/pram pushers. Although I would say only 5% driver too fast round that corner, that percentage of drivers who go too fast (imo) increases down the straight section of road.

Cheers

M

Hello Sharon

Apologies but I think you have misunderstood my comments regarding residents and their cars. 

I have no problem with residents having cars. I have no problem with households having more than one car. The point I was making was that a Controlled Parking Zone would be pretty useless due to the amount of cars owned by residents. A CPZ will just mean us residents would have to pay for a permit, but still struggle to park. And the evenings would be the same.

Hopefully you can see that I wasn't being elitist in the slightest! 

Glad you seem to agree with the speeding issue.

Murdoch

Sharon Hart said:

I am an Oldfield Road resident and will agree that the parking is very often difficult. To say that its residents have "too many cars" is being rather short sighted. Residents who have more than one car obviously have them for a reason, not just decoration. We have more than one car, but are a household of four adults who all require transport. In this economic climate, where older children continue to live with parents, this is going to be the consequence.

I think anything that takes pressure off parking and speeding motorists is a good idea, but to take the elitist view that those who have more than one car are somehow cluttering up the road to the detriment of others is ridiculous, when there are a great deal of people who use Oldfield Road as their station car park, often leaving cars overnight or even for several days.

I do think that something should be put at the top of the road by the new houses where for some reason, drivers always speed up and don't think about oncoming traffic!

Murdoch said:

Trevor

Thanks for your response, thats what I meant by 'constructive' comments (still keeping hold of my ball though thanks).

There are two reasons why a CPZ wouldn't work in this situation:-

Firstly, I assume you are not a resident of Oldfield Road(E), Beards Hill or Rose Hill? Apologies if I'm mistaken. Trying to park at 10pm at night is as tricky as trying to park at 10am, yes commuters are a problem during the working day, but then its the residents with too many cars that cause the problem in the evenings (we have 2 cars). A CPZ would not solved this, residents would simply have to pay for a permit but still struggle to park.

And I 100% agree with you that the new development has had disastrous effect on the parking, I make it a net loss of around 15 spaces due to that development (loss of road side space due to driveways + additional cars parked on street).

Secondly, the recent addition of Manuel for Streets (a document that LBR refer to when approving highway designs) states that 'reduced visibility' can help to reduce speeds, as drivers drive with more caution when visibility is limited. Take the bend by the development as an example, only about 5% of drivers take the corner at a normal speed, most crawl round as they aren't sure what's coming. That 5% (boy racers/royal mail vans/cars trying to beat the level crossing) could be slowed by raising this section of road, this would give the added bonus of providing an easier crossing point for wheelchair users/pram pushers. Although I would say only 5% driver too fast round that corner, that percentage of drivers who go too fast (imo) increases down the straight section of road.

Cheers

M

Belinda

Having raised sections of road will no effect the parking at all. It would only effected if the Council decided to put yellow lines down.

Murdoch

belinda jones said:

Hi, I too live in Oldfield Road.  I think putting in speed bumps would mean we would lose even more parking spaces.  Parking is ridiculous in this street.  What wth people parking for the station, local shops and all the work vans from local companies left for days on end.  Many houses now have at least 2 cars if not many more, so surely it would not be beneficial to take away more parking spaces.  I too enter Oldfield Road very slowly as cars coming in the opposite direction seem to think they are the only cars on the road.  Cars do drive very fast down tis part of the road to beat the level crossing.  Many times I have had my windmirror damaged.  Also another rant is the very large lorries that try to get down this very narrow road.  I have heard that some sat navs send them down this part of Oldfield Road to get to the trading estate. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service