I went to look at the presentation Monday 7th December.  What are your thoughts?

They plan to squeeze 30 homes various sizes onto the site of the old Police Traffic office and car park / garage with just 35 parking spaces, some under a central pond.  Legal requirement is for 50% "affordable housing" but they will pay as there is none.  Most homes require parking for two cars so new residents will grab spaces in Station Road, Plevna Road, The Avenue etc, forcing us to revisit residents permits at our cost.  The site is not high enough above river level for an underground car park, the rather austere flat-roofed building they propose to build on Station Road adjacent to the existing 'Old Police Station' will block the iconic view from the High Street.

I discussed this with the architects from Reading.  They've worked with the chap on just one house conversion in Streatham before.  The developer, whom I also met, is in his early thirties, stands behind a new company created specially for this project and looks and sounds like a very aggressive estate agent.  At the presentation his main focus was on selling the houses and flats to the people there as hard as possible.  The usual hook: flatter and distract from issues.

The planning proposal doesn't seem to be on Richmond's website yet, if you find it let me know.  It will take about two years to build and requires extensive groundwork first to comply with environment laws due to former "contaminated" use (automatically assumed with all garages).

If you haven't heard of the development or seent the presentation materials I very much recommend that you stay alert and have your say when it reaches planning proposal stage.

Views: 4620

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perhaps one ideal solution would be to use the land at the Sorting Office Rosehill as a car park rather than selling to property developers.  This would allow for parking the ever increasing number of cars in Hampton as well as catering for vehicles on football match days.

Hampton has certainly increased in size since I moved here 20 years ago and whilst we wish to welcome people to live and work here; Zac Goldsmith, a mayoral candidate and familiar with this area should surely question parking, welfare and educational issues which arise as a result of introducing more housing particularly in London and its boroughs.

I see lots of different views on one subject some very strong.

I feel for the lady who does not feel safe at night. No one should feel like that, I wish I could help in anyway. But the sad fact of life is that this building project will happen on way or other.... As A lawyer I see lots of cases like this or bigger going into the high courts every day. The sad thing is in one way or other they get pasted.. That is a fact of life, as the building companies bring in companies who know how to get building works pasted. I know of a very good one in Twickenham..... So I think its what we can get out of the builders for the local area. How can they offset the building works?

Now I know the park on Hampton green is going to be looked at for works. Why not get them to donate to the scout hut and linden hall. So lots to think about in my mind...

I have to be open with you I am pro all new building works so it grows the profile of the area & brings in new younger people.

Yes fast trains would be great. I love my 45 min ride into waterloo every day at 05:33... so yes that would help. The person who’s house has doubled in 8 years well done sir.. That is good news.

CPZ will help as the cost for a second permit is around £350 per year.. That is what we had to pay in Fulham

All the best

James

Ermmm... Hampton Green is "being looked at for development"... You don't mean the village green do you James? If so can you provide detail? Suspect that the village would stage a sit in if that happened..

Sorry...

The play park on the green. going to get updated/inproved..

Aside from the parking issues has anyone wondered how our services are going to cope with all this excessive building. No doubt there will be families with x amount of children. Will there be enough spaces in our schools?, will the already busy doctors surgery expand?? It's hard enough as it is to get an appointment! The building in the picture is hidious not at all in keeping with the old police station. Hampton's character is slowly being worn away.

That hasn't been there very long, as long as no building on the actual Green which use to be water filter beds, and the Hampton Nurseryland people have been given a new Green a few years ago, we do have to have some greenery around.  As for donating to Linden Hall well that would be nice as I am Director/Trustee of LH and we struggle but they have to pay the government a sort of penalty for not providing affordable housing.  If those that have been built ie the ones down near Alderson's Garage had sold it might help the reaction, but alas after a few years they are still standing empty, so why more houses?  I think now we need to wait until there is a proper meeting (few of which knew about the last one) and go and make our points with regards to that.  Oh by the way having been out for just 2 hours to look after my grandchildren when I got back not a gap in the road as Dexters were still working - that would have released at least 6 spaces and with a bit of luck the horse box will be moved shortly.  One last thing I do feel unsafe as there are drunks on the Green and in the playground and one of my neighbours was mugged in Station Road (ok a good few years ago but) hence my not feeling safe and as one gets older you realise you cannot run faster than those following.

We have and Hampton Society is following the developments, there is of course Kempton, although not in our Borough but Elmbridge, where would the children go to school and what doctors would they use?  It's all an issue.  As for Rosehill sorting office being turned into a car park, no way as we asked for that before the flats next t it were built and the Council will not pay out for something like that.  I asked when we started this discussion whether the Council would buy a piece of the 'police station site' for the same reason would help with congestion during the day as well as night.  We have gone off on a bit of a tangent here.  All I request is that there is adequate parking, not just one per household on the police station site, thus leaving those that live near to it with a bit of a chance to park. Thank you Roger you seem to understand at night we just cannot get back in, hence I do not go out in the evening which sometimes would be nice.

Tyger Lula said:

Aside from the parking issues has anyone wondered how our services are going to cope with all this excessive building. No doubt there will be families with x amount of children. Will there be enough spaces in our schools?, will the already busy doctors surgery expand?? It's hard enough as it is to get an appointment! The building in the picture is hidious not at all in keeping with the old police station. Hampton's character is slowly being worn away.

I suspect parking follows the same rules of logic, ie which is build a bigger road, and demand grows ie the road, gets to the same congestion level quicker than predicted.

If it was easy to park more people would park here and so your back to square one. ie it's the awkwardness of parking that keeps things just about stable.

Hi Everyone, 

Does anyone know if anything is happening with the land of the old yates garage on Tudor Road? 

I keep hearing whispers from neighbours and some of the local business owners that its going to be used for a large development of flats with parking. Is this correct as I can't find any information about it anywhere and parking around our house is already becoming difficult and the platforms for the trains in peak time are dangerously over crowded. My son who is 6 was pushed over yesterday due to the crowds. We need more trains in peak time if the village continues to grow as it is. 

I can only hope they will provide adequate parking if flats do go ahead. Like everyone else - parking in Tudor Road is v difficult particularly in our cottages near the small roundabout as we have no off street parking and v narrow road. We have gone down to one car partly as it is so difficult to park and that's the same for about half our residents. Lots of people park for the trains and parking during the day and at weekends near the house is tough.
More trains, more cars parking, more congestion! Following a survey the outcome was that commuters don't drive in from the surrounding areas, preferring to pay higher fares, so there must be a lot of lazy people in Hampton. The station is no more than a 15 to 20 minute walk away from the Nurserylands or the Poets estate. It must take this amount of time to find a parking space!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service