As published here: https://haveyoursay.citizenspace.com/richmondecs/20mph-2018/consult...

and https://www.richmond.gov.uk/media/16482/20mph_consultation_open_let...

The council has opened a consultation on creating a blanket speed limit across the borough of 20mph except on the A316 and A205 (Chertsey Rd and Upper Richmond Rd) to inprove safety.

Whilst I would welcome this on unclassified roads and other areas where there is a greater risk ie around schools and shops, I feel that it will have little effect on other A Roads, and motorists impatience will cause them to sit closer to the vehicle in front or overtake creating a greater potential for accidents to occur.

I may be completely wrong, but that is my gut feeling on this.

Views: 349

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well there is a 20mph speed limit in Oak Avenue and I can say that I either get tail gated or overtaken on a bend or near parked cars when I am overtaking the parked car.

And that is in the car and on the motorcycle!

I have been undertaken at 20mph in Bushy Park by cyclists.

I would rather the council kept cyclists off the pavement and ensured they use lights at night.

Just been along Oak Avenue, thanks for the warning about the speed limit, signs not too clear. I expected the humps to have been removed, as that stopped you going over 20 anyway, bit of road kill to my mind

x2 Fat Bob, I live in Oak Avenue and have always respected the 20mph limit, both on my motorcycle and in my car, unfortunately the drivers following me are either unaware of the speed limit or are massively impatient as they gesticulate and swerve about pretending to overtake me, I just feel sorry for them.

A recent report commissioned by the Department of Transport, shows no evidence that 20mph zones have any positive effect on road safety because over half of road users feel it is unenforceable and they will not get caught.

20mph report Nov 2018

A blanket 20 mph limit is impossible to police and therefore will be ignored everywhere by the same people who already break the 30 mph limits.

The solution:

Reject the blanket coverage, but set up a very small number only around schools and other genuine higher risk areas.  The limited number could be both enforceable and more likely to be adhered to as there would be a perceived good reason to stick to them.  The fewer 20 mph zones the better for that reason.

Saving the environment:

I have two cars and a motorcycle.  One car was a Band A (but just moved out of that band by the council) while the other is Euro 6 compatible.  Other than electric they are both the least polluting available.  My motorcycle (which I use by far the most) is Euro 4 rated, which is also the least polluting available.  However - they all use more fuel and therefore pollute more at 20mph because they have to be in a lower gear (so the engine revs are higher).  Journey times would also take longer so they would pollute for a longer period of time.

The LBRuT proposal for a blanket 20mph zone is politically motivated and has nothing to do with facts about either safety or the environment.  Reject the proposal on the grounds that there is no evidence to support it's implementation and the vast cost to residents and it's insulting of the Council to pretend otherwise.

Whats wrong with driving at 20? Don't know why people have such a problem with it. It's much nicer to get around Hampton both on foot and in a car without people charging round at great speed. The problem is it's not enforced enough.

Also, I'd like the council to keep cars off the pavement and make sure they have their lights on too! What's happened to parking enforcement too? I guess those who break the law have been moaning and destroyed that enforcement too. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service