As published here: https://haveyoursay.citizenspace.com/richmondecs/20mph-2018/consult...

and https://www.richmond.gov.uk/media/16482/20mph_consultation_open_let...

The council has opened a consultation on creating a blanket speed limit across the borough of 20mph except on the A316 and A205 (Chertsey Rd and Upper Richmond Rd) to inprove safety.

Whilst I would welcome this on unclassified roads and other areas where there is a greater risk ie around schools and shops, I feel that it will have little effect on other A Roads, and motorists impatience will cause them to sit closer to the vehicle in front or overtake creating a greater potential for accidents to occur.

I may be completely wrong, but that is my gut feeling on this.

Views: 1884

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have an auto and it doesn't like 20 mph, have been testing in the last few weeks.  All you have to do is go along Oak Avenue, which I have said before, 20mph signs and all the humps still there, so why put up the signs (which cost money) when the humps kept it at 20 or under anyway

I agree a blanket 20mph speed limit will no doubt have unintended consequences in the form of an increase in reckless driving.

The level of congestion in Greater London does impact road speed anyway by reducing it, especially at peak times. 

30 mph is the sweet spot during off-peak times for areas that are not overly busy (schools, high street etc.), anyone caught driving recklessly above this speed deserves the worst. 

20 mph is sensible around schools and high streets, especially during peak times, but everywhere else needs a common sense approach to a maximum of 30mph (unless a designated higher speed road such as the A3, A316 etc.).

I watched an American car driving slowly down Station Road yesterday, obviously unsure as to where it was, I would estimate about 20mph or just under, and consequently the person behind tail gated it from outside St John's down to the football club where I lost sight of it.  That I fear is what will happen on a regular basis

I have followed Matt's request and have found the link about the 20 mph debate, Ta

Having noticed all the little signs with white plastic covering on them sprouting up all over Hampton, by squinting your eyes you can just read the number 20 behind them, so even though the public voted to keep the speed limit at 30mph the council have decided we are wrong and are implementing the 20mph limit, there are even '20' symbols outside the bell pub even though I thought that as the A308 is a major trunk road it wasn't allowed to be lowered to 20mph, will be interesting to see when this is enforced or how it is going to be policed as even now with a 30mph limit I notice the 'speed reduction cameras' outside the bell seem to flash like a paparazzi party, don't want to sound cynical but other councils have adopted this idea as a way of generating income due to a lack of funding from central government, I hope this isn't the case.

A308 isn't suppose to be 20 mph, it wasn't enforced the last time, the council apparently 'listened' to people objections and then said the A308 up to HC and along to Kingston Bridge would remain as their original speed limits. This is a mess, and as yet on here and on Facebook Hampton Village no-one has yet agreed to it.  Why was the 67% of the people that voted NO ignored.  Gareth said to me it wasn't a referendum just a consultation.  Why have the consultation when it was totally ignored

Can someone please enlighten the poor confused people of Hampton?  Everyone is asking everyone else 'when does this start?' no one knows for sure.  It ran late from the beginning of August.  I noticed today that the sign down my road is now uncovered and so was the one the has been placed under a hanging basket in Station Road, thus not visible, surely at some point there must be a public announcement to let the poor people of this borough know, even though it was voted 'no'.  Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me and the person that asked me today.

If you look on the lbrut 20mph rollout webpage there are some pdf files that somehow don't download but it concludes that the full 20mph limit rollout will take up to a year from 8th August 2019, and at the moment they have no specific times ! some of the 20mph signs in Hampton have been peeled off by schoolkids or curious adults.

ok thanks, but will we be told when it's in force? Gareth maybe you can tell us

Having walked around a lot today I haven't noticed one sign that was covered up, it would appear that they have all been uncovered

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service