Development of Aldersons Garage.18/3804/FUL

139-143 Station Road Hampton.

PERMISSION subject to conditions and informatives has now been given to the Developers.

It seems all of the comments and objections raised about this redevelopment have been ignored or discounted and that the recommendations of the Planning Officer (AGENDA 4A) were simply an acceptance of the developers summary, it included no acknowledgement to any objections or comments. Quite bluntly, the Planning Meeting was a farce and seemed to be no more than going through the motions and the proceedures required to award Planning Permission.          

In addition to which the Boroughs Transport Officer confirmed that the car-parking, cycle-parkng, proposed servicing and access arrangements to serve the development are acceptable and in accordance with adopted planning policy and that the proposed development would not exacerbate local parking stress or lead to adverse highway conditions. This simply is not and will not be the case and all evidence and the experience currently of all residents is to the absolute contrary.

It appears that the document that supported the Planning Officers Recommendation was not subject to either due diligence or any knowledge of the location/area and the wider community.  A further example of this is the description of the site/location within the Public Document Pack - AGENDA 4A: #104. The application site is situated within a built-up town centre location, sited adjacent to a large commercial building and hotel to the west, the railway tracks and Hampton  Railway Station to the immediate north and residential dwellings to the west and east. 

On challenging the Planning Department about the described location on the day of the Meeting, and to be honest the response was quite alarming, apparently as far as the Council are concerned it is a town centre because there are some shops and restaurants, a main Post Office in Rose Hill (really, now closed), a Premier Inn Hotel, which strangely turns out to be the little Premier Supermarket on the corner of Percy Road and Oldfield, and a Little Waitrose. So this is what constitutes a Town Centre!

On further discussion it transpired that if these conditions aren’t sufficient for designated Town Centre status it is classed as a town centre because it’s near to Teddington!  Seriously?  Have I missed something here or are the parameters a moveable entity to suite an argument?

In conclusion and having watched the Planning Meeting, it is little wonder the Developer had a relatively easy passage through to Permission, the Planning Officer appeared neither interested, up to speed on details, the location, the negative impact on the community and he displayed a complete lack of good design knowledge or aesthetics in his acceptance of what will be perhaps the ugliest building for miles around and an eyesore for generations to come, most of the members of the Planning Committee were equally bored and clueless. 

What a legacy thank you!

Views: 802

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No I don't think so hence they we reset ay 30 mph

In which your kindly admin reminds all that there is an open thread on this issue. Muchly ta.

Gareth Roberts said:

I still don’t buy this idea that loads of people drive from Shepperton to park in Hampton. The vast majority of commuter parking comes from within Hampton itself - people who drive down from Hampton North or even closer to home.

Hi Gareth. Ive  moved to Sunbury with my wife and we both drive back to to Hampton to get the train (sorry folks), so do members of my family and two parent friends from Hampton Infants (who also live in Sunbury). Thats 6-8 cars straight away, just from Sunbury. This will not change until the oyster zone is extended. Thats not a big group of people for a poll, so its quite likely that many many more are doing the same.

So it might be worth rethinking whether you 'buy it' or not, because it is.

Gareth Roberts said:

I still don’t buy this idea that loads of people drive from Shepperton to park in Hampton. The vast majority of commuter parking comes from within Hampton itself - people who drive down from Hampton North or even closer to home.

Murdoch said:

Hi Gareth. Ive  moved to Sunbury with my wife and we both drive back to to Hampton to get the train (sorry folks), so do members of my family and two parent friends from Hampton Infants (who also live in Sunbury). Thats 6-8 cars straight away, just from Sunbury. This will not change until the oyster zone is extended. Thats not a big group of people for a poll, so its quite likely that many many more are doing the same.

I don't buy the idea that Gareth & his Planning Dept are in touch with reality.

We have friends who also live in Sunbury, Upper Haliford and Shepperton who park in Hampton to get the train on a daily basis, and so would anyone else if it saves many £'s on your season ticket.

This has always been a problem but the 'Power's at Be' have never accepted that it's an integral part of the problem, not the whole problem but a good part of it.

Many years ago, I think it was in '85-86, a large group of us got together and produced a highly detailed study of all vehicles that came in and out of Hampton, times, car registrations logged, train passengers arriving and leaving were asked the simple questions where from and how did you get here. All the information was sorted and collated, we had a pretty good idea of numbers using (1) Hampton as a Rat-Run, (2) those who drove and parked including the lazy ones who lived a 10 minute walk away, (3) those who drove here from up the line. 

It was about equal for (2 & 3) and Hampton after 7pm emptied.

We presented all this information, data with maps, locations etc., etc.,to the Highways Department at Richmond, who at first were quite supportive, but, it was then filed away, later when we insisted why, we were told it's not a Council led initiative or priority. After suggesting it could be and was a good place for them start, we were told, YOU don't tell us what to do!  All we wanted and asked was for them to speak to the train operators with some authority about extending the zone.

...and 35 years on, Hey Ho! 

Murdoch said:

Gareth Roberts said:

We're not the only ones who are feel Zone 6 should be extended, there is a petition on change.org to extend it to Asford, Staines, Sunbury, Shepperton.  Sent to us by someone who drives to Hampton everyday to get the train, but doesn't want to.  Link below.

https://www.change.org/p/spelthornezone6?_

Thanks Ian I have now signed it

Ian Cook said:

We're not the only ones who are feel Zone 6 should be extended, there is a petition on change.org to extend it to Asford, Staines, Sunbury, Shepperton.  Sent to us by someone who drives to Hampton everyday to get the train, but doesn't want to.  Link below.

https://www.change.org/p/spelthornezone6?_

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service