Hello Folks

I'm the bearer of bad news.  A gas leak has been identified near the Lion Gate entrance to Bushy Park. Unfortunately this means that traffic is being managed by three way lights so on top of the roadworks for Thames Water this looks likely to cause yet more delays.

Of course this is something of an emergency so it's important that the crews get to the bottom of the problem and fix the leak.  The initial timescale being offered to the council is that it SHOULD be cleared by tomorrow afternoon.

So if you can take the train or the bike to get around then I strongly advise that you do so - because even if you're driving to avoid the Hampton Court Road, you can bet your bippy that many others will be doing exactly the same

Views: 5601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You need to scroll along the road on the map until you see the Road Works triangle and then click on it.  From there on just enter the info on the various pages.

Janice Merritt said:

I did it and it didn't seem to recognise where the road works were but I did let them know in the box provided

Thames Water are not working at the site today!!!!! This is obviously not emergency work, but it has severe impact on thousands of people.

Reminder: Other utilities were told that they can only work on Hampton Court Road during the evenings and overnight with strict restrictions regarding the environmental impact to local residents.

What on earth are Thames Water doing??? LBRUT seem to be ignoring the issue, TFL seem to be inept.  

We have some very powerful & resourceful retired residents that may take legal action for the long term good of the community.

I've just spoken to an elderly lady who has missed her hospital appointment and almost suffered heat exhaustion on a bus waiting for over 30 mins in the traffic. The journey normally takes 10-12 minutes during late mornings.

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE! 

I finaly managed to get someone from LBRUT to speak me today.  But only after getting a little cross with the monotonous, 'I'll send an email asking someone to ring you'.

Nick Halpin it appears is someone who may or may not have something to do with permits and work for and by the Utilities,  he said that with all the work in and around the Borough it is difficult to keep on top of work schedules and the working days, although he did say that the contractors and Utilities are trusted to comply with the conditions of the license and to get the works done in the most efficeint manner, which includes working weekends???

Clearly they can't be trusted and perhaps a problem being exploited is that the LBRUT inspectors don't work weekends, so there's no one to check.  More alarmingly still is he said that the Thames Water work is the largest in the Borough and he accepted there would be some 'inconvenience' but not to the level that is happening.

Why didn't they know, why weren't they aware, and if they won't talk to us, who will they talk to, does anyone know why they are ignorant of the situation and haven't been briefed, Gareth, Suzette, Petra?

Thames Water have been 'invited' to a meeting to discuss events tomorrow and Nick Halpin has promised a full report by the end of this week, when /if it arrives I'll stick up here!!!

Afternoon all.  Rather grey and miserable, ain't it?

I've emailed Cllr Speak and asked him to take a look at these comments and asked him to get back to me with his thoughts and possible actions

Great work Ian

Ian Cook said:

I finaly managed to get someone from LBRUT to speak me today.  But only after getting a little cross with the monotonous, 'I'll send an email asking someone to ring you'.

Nick Halpin it appears is someone who may or may not have something to do with permits and work for and by the Utilities,  he said that with all the work in and around the Borough it is difficult to keep on top of work schedules and the working days, although he did say that the contractors and Utilities are trusted to comply with the conditions of the license and to get the works done in the most efficeint manner, which includes working weekends???

Clearly they can't be trusted and perhaps a problem being exploited is that the LBRUT inspectors don't work weekends, so there's no one to check.  More alarmingly still is he said that the Thames Water work is the largest in the Borough and he accepted there would be some 'inconvenience' but not to the level that is happening.

Why didn't they know, why weren't they aware, and if they won't talk to us, who will they talk to, does anyone know why they are ignorant of the situation and haven't been briefed, Gareth, Suzette, Petra?

Thames Water have been 'invited' to a meeting to discuss events tomorrow and Nick Halpin has promised a full report by the end of this week, when /if it arrives I'll stick up here!!!

Good work Ian, because I was in pain with walking today and had to get to the doctors I decided to go by bus well just got back from a 2 hour trip to Hampton Medical Centre and back.  I wasn't too bad going, so at least made my appointment coming back I sat for half an hour at the Priory Road stop and then gave up.  Needless so say just as I was approaching the station along came a bus, followed by another one, who had to stop and take a break at the allocated stop.  I managed to go the one stop to make life a bit easier, but pain it telling me I should have waited even longer.  I do feel sorry for the bus drivers, they are all over the place not getting their rests at the proper places and leaving poor frustrated customers to wait such a long time for the bus.

Thanks Ian, fantastic progress.

I agree with all your points, especially regarding the shocking lack of wider planning within the borough. In addition, the collective lack of communication and awareness by councillors is disappointing to say the least. 

This cannot and will not happen again, otherwise there is a very strong case against LBRUT. Those individually responsible for the pain felt by so many will need to be accountable. We now live in an age where transparency and accountability is compulsory within public service. 

If there was evidence of Thames Water working around the clock to complete the work in the minimum amount of time (as other utilities have done), we would recognise this commitment. But as we all know, this is not the case and therefore it's unreasonable to inflict this on ordinary people.

I'm still waiting on hard facts from LBRUT regarding the impact that this is having on travel times and the environment.

No doubt there are hundreds of school children using school buses on this route along Hampton Court Road, therefore seriously delayed (not just a few weeks, but months) both outbound and return journeys. Let's get the school governors to contribute to this debate too. 

Maybe the gravity of the situation will finally be understood at LBRUT.

Ian Cook said:

I forgot to mention I have been talking with Nigel Harris from the bus company that run the 111's and 216's about turning their engines off when sitting and not going anywhere here is his reply: 

Mr Cook

Thanks for the info I will have this looked into immediately.

Nigel

Something I asked LBRUT and others to do, you can see LBRUT's response I posted earlier.  Hopefully it might happen, wasn't to difficult was it?

If it's not happening please let Mr. Harris know at: Nigel.Harris@raptdevlondon.com

Since South West Trains decided to close the Shepperton branch this morning (but that's another discussion altogether). I had no choice but to book a taxi to get into work and knowing how bad the Hampton Court Road is I asked the driver to avoid Hampton Court.

It's just taken an hour to get from Station Road to the junction for the A316 near Macdonalds. So with trains out of action and the roads being completely blocked what are residents supposed to do???????

James, I feel your pain.  I needed to get my son to St Margarets this morning for a doctors appointment at 8:30.  I know it is generally a busy time of morning so left plenty of time to get there.  It was carnage.  On top of the cancelled trains, rush hour, the school run, diverted 308 traffic and the hoiking big lorry picking up pavement slabs in front of the Hampton Hill gate,  it was also bin/recycling day from Fulwell through Twickenham.  Really. At rush hour?!!  Why arent these trucks out at the crack of dawn and near the end of their routes by this time.  My head nearly exploded all over the windscreen when a rubbish truck was doing a three point turn then backing up into a business drive at the main Twickenham junction near Sandy's.  Every access point was blocked.  And to top everything off, my daughter couldn't get to her job in town because when the trains were cancelled, the buses were so stuck in traffic that she just gave up and waited until the trains started up again at Hampton station at 10:20.  James and I are just two stories from this morning, this is really negatively impacting people's lives. 

I just received by e-mail a statement from the council:

In response to a significant number of enquiries that have been sent to the Council in recent weeks, I am writing to update on the latest situation on essential water alleviation works on Hampton Court Road that started on 10th April for approximately 6 weeks .

As a local highway authority we have an obligation to schedule and coordinate planned road works to minimise network disruption, however we must cater for emergency / essential works as far as is reasonably practicable.

The Thames Water works on Hampton Court Road are deemed severe enough to threaten the continued supply of essential services, therefore we are duty bound to enable such works to commence without delay and minimise network disruption as far as is practically possible.

Having sought a formal release from Thames Water we are in the process of awaiting their correspondence. However I did not wish to delay updating you as to the latest situation of what we currently know.

As of tomorrow (12/5/16) works, it is our understanding Thames Water will be completed on the second phase at Taggs Island of the three phase project.  These have been efforts to dig approx. 6 metres down onto a 42” trunk main and make a repair to a leaking joint.  Personnel are on site making the final touches to this repair.

Thames Water has confirmed they intend to commence on the final stage of the three stage alleviation works project immediately after the completion of the second phase.  It is our understanding that the works are expected to last for approximately 8 days and will be undertaken close to St Albans Lodge. This will again be excavation on a water main, depth is approximately 2 metres under the road surface.

During this time traffic has been managed by means of 2-way temporary signals, there will be personnel on site to manually control flows during peak operation hours.

VMS boards remain at 7 different locations as they approach advising road users to expect delays. The situation continues that severe delays are expected to traffic in both directions and we will continue to monitor both the progress of works and traffic flows throughout this time. I would be most grateful if you could circulate this information on to those with concerns and reassure them that every effort is being made to resolve the infrastructure issues at the earliest time.

For further details of Thames Water’s essential works please contact 0800 009 3964.

So the question then is, if these works are so essential, why are there no workers there most of the time?

Mike thank you!!

That's the longest reply I've ever seen containing absolutely nothing of any significant note that changes the situation!!

Let's see what stage 3 brings.

Mike Dennison said:

I just received by e-mail a statement from the council:

In response to a significant number of enquiries that have been sent to the Council in recent weeks, I am writing to update on the latest situation on essential water alleviation works on Hampton Court Road that started on 10th April for approximately 6 weeks .

As a local highway authority we have an obligation to schedule and coordinate planned road works to minimise network disruption, however we must cater for emergency / essential works as far as is reasonably practicable.

The Thames Water works on Hampton Court Road are deemed severe enough to threaten the continued supply of essential services, therefore we are duty bound to enable such works to commence without delay and minimise network disruption as far as is practically possible.

Having sought a formal release from Thames Water we are in the process of awaiting their correspondence. However I did not wish to delay updating you as to the latest situation of what we currently know.

As of tomorrow (12/5/16) works, it is our understanding Thames Water will be completed on the second phase at Taggs Island of the three phase project.  These have been efforts to dig approx. 6 metres down onto a 42” trunk main and make a repair to a leaking joint.  Personnel are on site making the final touches to this repair.

Thames Water has confirmed they intend to commence on the final stage of the three stage alleviation works project immediately after the completion of the second phase.  It is our understanding that the works are expected to last for approximately 8 days and will be undertaken close to St Albans Lodge. This will again be excavation on a water main, depth is approximately 2 metres under the road surface.

During this time traffic has been managed by means of 2-way temporary signals, there will be personnel on site to manually control flows during peak operation hours.

VMS boards remain at 7 different locations as they approach advising road users to expect delays. The situation continues that severe delays are expected to traffic in both directions and we will continue to monitor both the progress of works and traffic flows throughout this time. I would be most grateful if you could circulate this information on to those with concerns and reassure them that every effort is being made to resolve the infrastructure issues at the earliest time.

For further details of Thames Water’s essential works please contact 0800 009 3964.

So the question then is, if these works are so essential, why are there no workers there most of the time?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service