Hello Folks

I'm the bearer of bad news.  A gas leak has been identified near the Lion Gate entrance to Bushy Park. Unfortunately this means that traffic is being managed by three way lights so on top of the roadworks for Thames Water this looks likely to cause yet more delays.

Of course this is something of an emergency so it's important that the crews get to the bottom of the problem and fix the leak.  The initial timescale being offered to the council is that it SHOULD be cleared by tomorrow afternoon.

So if you can take the train or the bike to get around then I strongly advise that you do so - because even if you're driving to avoid the Hampton Court Road, you can bet your bippy that many others will be doing exactly the same

Views: 5620

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I sent an email to LBRUT also copied into our councillors on the 15th April, see below>, I eventually received a reply from Jason Andrews, see below>>, telling me what they won’t do, but nothing about what they will or can, it seems everything is ‘tomorrows’ solution.  

I’m not sure what categorises  emergency work, certainly Thames Water isn’t, even if it could be argued the first phase of three may have had some priority.  So this excuse is a bit lame, and there certainly, to me at least, seems to have been adequate and sufficient time to have put in place something for Phases Two and Three.

What is the saying, "...all it takes is for good men to do nothing"

Dear Mr. Copley and Mr. Andrews,

I was given your names by one of your colleagues, who I believe also email you yesterday.  He also asked me to write to you as well. Please see below.

As you are aware the considerable road works now going on in and around Hampton are causing major traffic congestion and pollution than the otherwise normal, but exceedingly foul and filthy air.

The main areas of concern are the following roads in and around Hampton, Station Road, Percy Road, The High Street, Thames Street and the Upper Sunbury Road.

Hampton, is at the mercy of Thames Water and their incessant and almost continual excavations of the Upper Sunbury Road (A308).  We now have a situation where the road is again partially closed for the next 6+ weeks and Ormond Avenue, a local alternative escape, is now being closed by British Gas for works.  

The congestion and exhaust pollution is reaching unacceptable levels, the buses at times in what seem to be continuous convoys, sit for long periods, without moving, with their engines revving as do the lorries and other vehicles.  

When I telephoned LBRUT offices yesterday your colleague who I spoke to also agreed how bad it was, so if it is a known and accepted problem why has nothing been done? 

I know signs may not resolve or solve the problem but they may encourage drivers to think, they’re breathing in the fumes as well, instructing the bus companies could be a major step to improving the environment.  I know this may seem simplistic, but the bus companies will take action, the 111’s at Hampton level crossing now have the majority of their drivers turning their engines off when waiting,  only because I kept asking it has now become an instruction to their drivers, if they can do it here they can extend the instruction.

Please do something!

Dear Mr Cook

I can confirm that I and my colleagues in transport have discussed this matter carefully. Unfortunately there are number of road works in this area, some of which are considered as an emergency and as such do not require formal notification, this has had a noticeable impact upon traffic congestion. Highways colleagues will, wherever possible, try to coordinate and manage these works to avoid and mitigate the impact upon congestion, however there are times when this is unavoidable.

With regards to idling vehicles, there are adoptable powers to control idling vehicles, but these are mainly aimed at parked vehicles whilst waiting; such as bus stands, taxi ranks, schools etc. This is something we may consider consulting on as part of our Air Quality Action Plan refresh this year.

With regards the buses, these are in the process of being upgraded and as such new buses have abatement technology to reduce the impact of ‘start stop’ and the overall emissions these create. It is also important to note that ‘stop start’ technology is also being embedded in vehicles and overtime there will be more of these on the roads.

With regards to the request for signage, we looked at this carefully and on the surface it seems a good idea, however we are of the opinion that this would be of little practical use for ‘creeping traffic’ and it will not be enforceable for congested traffic or at temporary light controlled junctions. It also raises questions of where this signage would be placed if traffic is backed up for some distance, this would then likely impact upon the streetscape, which may be considered unacceptable.

That said, there may be a case for signage around areas such as level crossings in the borough where wait times are more regular and fairly consistent throughout the year.

I do hope that this answers your questions.

If you would like information on the specifics of the road works then you can contact Ian Toft at Richmond Council on 020 8891 1411.

Kindest regards

Jason Andrews

EH Pollution Manager

Regulatory Services Partnership

London Boroughs of Merton and Richmond upon Thames

Civic Centre, London Road, Morden SM4 5DX

Tel. 0208 5453859

jason.andrews@merton.gov.uk

Help For Heroes said:

Dear Gareth,

Thank you so much for your tireless work for the local community to date. This is very much appreciated by many residents.

I'm compelled to write to you for the first time because of the very severe travel disruption caused by various phases of maintenance work by various organisations on Thames Street and Hampton Court Road (and other local areas) since January 2016.

It's obvious that The London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames (LBRUT) have not been able to effectively plan the maintenance work in a way that offers a reasonable limit to the impact on local transport, traffic and the level of pollution from Hampton to Hampton Court. 

I would like to see a lot more information on this forum from LBRUT regarding the following:-

Information is related to peak times from 7:30am - 10:00am & 15:30 - 19:30 daily (Monday to Friday).

1. How does it currently take for a bus (such as the 111) or car to travel from North Hampton to Kingston?

2. How does it currently take a bus (such as the 111) or car to travel from Kingston to North Hampton?

3. What are the levels of pollution at the corner of the Thames St (A308) and High St (A3008)? A mobile monitor will need to be deployed to this area. I'm especially concerned about pollution during the warmer weather forecast for this week.

4. What are the current working hours the team performing the maintenance work and how many resources are working on it?

Finally, we know that there are many people being severely delayed due to this ongoing situation. There are children and students trying to get to school & college; men and women trying to get to work and elderly people who rely heavily on public transport to make their hospital/surgery appointments.

It's now time for the local authority to be accountable for such a severe impact on peoples lives during the past three months. It's no longer acceptable to refer the public to the specific organisation carrying out the work such at Thames Water or BT etc.

Please publish the name of the person at LBRUT whom is ultimately responsible for this severe ongoing situation.

Yours sincerely,

Mr H.R. Williams.

(Local Resident)

Thanks for the information Ian, very much appreciated.

I agree that there is so much more that LBRUT and others can do especially regarding monitoring and management of the environmental impact of these works.

Thames Water should at least be working through to late evening to progress faster. The traffic restrictions are in place at this time anyway.

LBRUT will find it difficult to ignore the pollution problem, especially if we deploy our own monitoring methods to collect data.  There could be a strong case for negligence and incompetence on their part. 

Enough is enough.

Hello Mr Williams

Thank you for those comments. They really are appreciated.

Ultimate authority at council level lies with the cabinet member for traffic. In this case Cllr Stephen Speak. Yes, officers are the day to day handlers, but in terms of accountability it's the cabinet member.

I would suggest emailing him ( do feel free to cc me) outlining your concerns and asking for his response. Then we can take things further, if need be, with the GLA as I think (may be wrong) that this is a TFL road and therefore one which needs addressing at City Hall.

Emails are Cllr.sspeak@richmond.gov.uk. And cllr.groberts@richmond.gov.uk

Help For Heroes said:

Dear Gareth,

Thank you so much for your tireless work for the local community to date. This is very much appreciated by many residents.

I'm compelled to write to you for the first time because of the very severe travel disruption caused by various phases of maintenance work by various organisations on Thames Street and Hampton Court Road (and other local areas) since January 2016.

It's obvious that The London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames (LBRUT) have not been able to effectively plan the maintenance work in a way that offers a reasonable limit to the impact on local transport, traffic and the level of pollution from Hampton to Hampton Court. 

I would like to see a lot more information on this forum from LBRUT regarding the following:-

Information is related to peak times from 7:30am - 10:00am & 15:30 - 19:30 daily (Monday to Friday).

1. How does it currently take for a bus (such as the 111) or car to travel from North Hampton to Kingston?

2. How does it currently take a bus (such as the 111) or car to travel from Kingston to North Hampton?

3. What are the levels of pollution at the corner of the Thames St (A308) and High St (A3008)? A mobile monitor will need to be deployed to this area. I'm especially concerned about pollution during the warmer weather forecast for this week.

4. What are the current working hours the team performing the maintenance work and how many resources are working on it?

Finally, we know that there are many people being severely delayed due to this ongoing situation. There are children and students trying to get to school & college; men and women trying to get to work and elderly people who rely heavily on public transport to make their hospital/surgery appointments.

It's now time for the local authority to be accountable for such a severe impact on peoples lives during the past three months. It's no longer acceptable to refer the public to the specific organisation carrying out the work such at Thames Water or BT etc.

Please publish the name of the person at LBRUT whom is ultimately responsible for this severe ongoing situation.

Yours sincerely,

Mr H.R. Williams.

(Local Resident)

Gareth Roberts said:

Hello Mr Williams

Ultimate authority at council level lies with the cabinet member for traffic. In this case Cllr Stephen Speak. Yes, officers are the day to day handlers, but in terms of accountability it's the cabinet member.

I would suggest emailing him ( do feel free to cc me) outlining your concerns and asking for his response. Then we can take things further, if need be, with the GLA as I think (may be wrong) that this is a TFL road and therefore one which needs addressing at City Hall.

I believe it is a TfL road Gareth

Thank you for the information Gareth.

As a local councillor, I feel that you should escalate this to Cllr Stephen Speak. He's welcome to reference this forum to collect all concerns from various people, not only me.

Can you please update us of the status of your discussions with Mr Speak?

Many thanks,

Mr Williams

Gareth Roberts said:

Hello Mr Williams

Help For Heroes said:

Dear Gareth,

Yours sincerely,

Mr H.R. Williams.

(Local Resident)

Well Hampton, or should I say Station Road Percy Road and Ashley Road at this moment are at a virtual standstill, a 111 has turned left from Station Road into Percy Road not sure where he and the passengers are going (maybe the driver has had enough and taking them all for a late breakfast!), there are 2 others at the junction of Station and Percy Roads there is another doing a detour via Ashley Road, Oh! and there are two 216's also here and not forgetting the other traffic and the increasingly foul mouthed and bad tempered other drivers also not going anywhere. 

PS.  I have just come home from a bike ride, no one working on the Upper Sunbury Road but the temp. traffic lights are,  Petersham Road no one working there but the temp traffic lights are. One thing for sure the traffic queues are living up to their reputations. So what's going on?  

And does anyone give a Damn, of course not, so I guess we will all have to put up with it....???

Thanks Ian for the update, you would think that TW in their infinite wisdom would have men working there and not just the lights over the weekend, I wonder if they know just how busy the A308 is.  We knew it was going to be long haul but come on TW get those men/women working

I also saw the mayhem that you described this morning Ian. Was walking to Boots chemist in the village from Lacey Drive, the chaos at the level crossing was the worst I''d ever seem. The gates were down (far far too early in my opinion ) I also saw the 111 bus turning left from Station into Percy Rd instead of right over the crossing. Drivers trying to sneak around the corner from Percy Rd into Station Rd on the wrong side and vice versa. As I walked down Station Rd toward the bridge just by Plenty, a passenger in a car wound down here window and literally screamed at me what the f### is going on. I could only reply, welcome to Hampton madam we have to put up with this chaos constantly. A little bit further along Station Rd I glanced accross to the bus stop, there were probably 20 people waiting for a 111 or 216 bus to take them into Kingston. As I crossed the bridge two 111 buses crossed denying the people waiting at Hampton Station. Sorry for my incoherent ramble, but how much longer do the people of our lovely Hampton have to endure this incomptency from the utility services which we all pay for?

Ian Cook said:

Well Hampton, or should I say Station Road Percy Road and Ashley Road at this moment are at a virtual standstill, a 111 has turned left from Station Road into Percy Road not sure where he and the passengers are going (maybe the driver has had enough and taking them all for a late breakfast!), there are 2 others at the junction of Station and Percy Roads there is another doing a detour via Ashley Road, Oh! and there are two 216's also here and not forgetting the other traffic and the increasingly foul mouthed and bad tempered other drivers also not going anywhere. 

PS.  I have just come home from a bike ride, no one working on the Upper Sunbury Road but the temp. traffic lights are,  Petersham Road no one working there but the temp traffic lights are. One thing for sure the traffic queues are living up to their reputations. So what's going on?  

And does anyone give a Damn, of course not, so I guess we will all have to put up with it....???

I can also confirm that Thames Water are not working today. This is completely unacceptable.

British Telecom were told that they could only install fibre services between the hours of 7:00pm & 5:00am.

It seems that Thames Water receive special treatment by LBRUT & TFL. This doesn't seem legitimate at all.

We need more support from local Councillors regarding this escalating problem.

I urge more residents to comment on this forum. Time for us to stop this crippling lack of planning once and for all!!
It's disgusting. Clearly the decision makers don't live in Hampton and don't have to deal with the resulting mayhem. Took me 25 mins to get to Hampton court today and not one worker in sight. What makes me anxious is if I needed to drive my son to hospital or someone needed an ambulance how would they get here when it's complete gridlock!!

I agree totally unacceptable, but the ambulances and police cars take their own route through the dam traffic, albeit that it would take minutes off of saving someone's life.  How can you get residents comment on this site when they don't join it?  I have asked several neighbours to follow suit, some of us in Avenue Road comment on a regular basis.

This is down to TFL but surely the council has some say.  I would really like to move my car and go for a ride out for whatever reason.  It just stands in the road, tax and insurance down to me, using the road, nope that's down to the authorities.  Must ask the new Mayor to step in!!!!

Will someone, anyone on the council who grants permission for these roadworks please come and see the. debacle here in Hampton.  Why oh why is there no evening or weekend work being carried out on Hampton Court Road or Plevna Road.

I have had to resort to collecting my grandson from school in Thames Dutton by train to Kingston and K3 to School.  The reverse to Hampton.  His Mum then battles the traffic to collect after 6pm arriving at 7pm if she lucky.  Then home, Back through the traffic. Not much time for play with mum and dad.  He is only 5. Time with parents is a right.  Please LBRT get your act together and start looking at the wider picture. Thank the !ord the gasworks have been delayed.  I trust since TW have extended the dates to end of May the new date is flexible with gas co.  AND what else have you in store for Hampton

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service