Royal Mail have put out a press release today saying they are exploring the option of moving the delivery operation from Rose Hill to Ashford Delivery Office.

Suzette

Views: 1192

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting. It's going to be the key issue as I know I am down there all the time as my wife and I both work so often miss the deliveries. Got to be worth pressing for the option.

jen said:

Jon. I tweeted same suggestion on the thread this morning. Appears where other local sorting offices have closed the use of a local post office instead as the place to pick up miased packages has often beeb part of royal mail's proposition and consultation  Doesn't appear in this press statement. And not sure if there's been or will be any consultation

Hello

A local collection point is vital. There are obvious security issues which arise relating to storage of personal and business mail - however the obvious answer would appear to be the local post office if this local resource can't be retained.

This was my comment for the local paper yesterday

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/news/16067716.Hampton__...

Hampton Councillor Gareth Roberts said: “While we would prefer this facility to remain as a sorting office, if the decision to relocate is taken then I hope the site will be acquired for genuinely affordable housing via a housing association. “Hampton has seen a significant amount of luxury development either built or proposed over recent years.

“We need to ensure future generations aren't priced out of Hampton.”  

However, Cllr Roberts described plans to require residents to collect undelivered mail from Ashford as “wholly unacceptable”. 

He added: “It simply beggars belief that a more suitable alternative can't be found. 

“I would urge Royal Mail to come up with a more innovative solution, such as partnering with our Post Office, to maintain a viable yet secure offering right here in Hampton.”


 
Janice Merritt said:

As an experiment I have just googled how to get there by different methods.  It takes 16 mins by car on the quickest route (ok I suppose if you have a car) and 33 mins quickest route by bus, which includes a walk.  Not very practical if it's a heavy parcel and you cannot carry it.  So where does that benefit us at all.

Oh, my goodness. This is a joke. I love that it's apparently going to be "affordable housing" - as if! We all know it won't be affordable - it will be the same as all property in Hampton. I'm so disappointed. I hope Royal Mail will refund the rest of my annual PO box renewal. I am really shocked they haven't written to those of us who have PO's as my PO is my registered business address. I now have to go through the process of changing that. I feel for everyone in Hampton that are going to have difficulties obtaining their mail.

Janice Merritt said:

As an experiment I have just googled how to get there by different methods.  It takes 16 mins by car on the quickest route (ok I suppose if you have a car) and 33 mins quickest route by bus, which includes a walk.  Not very practical if it's a heavy parcel and you cannot carry it.  So where does that benefit us at all.

I am a postman at Hampton delivery office and was only told of this today! (Wednesday) our cwu union rep was here today to say that they will do all they can to stop this crazy idea, The whole thing is money led and after privatisation this 'merging' of offices has snowballed, Ashford delivery office is more than five miles away from the Hampton site so all the post for Hampton will have to be prepared at Ashford and then driven to Hampton in vans, at 9.30 in the morning that journey alone could take over 20 minutes, so when the Royal Mail says there will be no change to deliveries they are being economical with the truth, another logistical problem will be that there are at least seven Posties at Hampton who live in the town but don't have a driving licence, which means they will have to make their way to Ashford by 6.00am every morning and will then have to share a van with someone who can drive to get them to their delivery! I have worked at Hampton delivery office since 1983 (35 years) and hope to carry on working there for many years to come, but as usual the rumour mongering has started and we have been told that the Royal Mail has already sold the land that the office stands on to the same developer who built the £1 millon houses that occupy the old council yard next door so any talk of 'affordable' housing seems futile 

Colin, have you seen options for collection of parcels in local Post Offices or other even other sorting offices when this has happened in other areas? Transport to Ashford is really not good where as at least Teddington or better the local Post Office would be in reach for most people.

Not sure why teddington being mooted as better option than Ashford. Still a 15 min car journey from Hampton (if you don't get stuck in HH traffic) and a 25 min bus ride... 

Teddington has train and bus options and is closer. If it's going to move then something on the main rail and bus links would be best. But then I do agree, it's still going to be harder to get to. RM are going to see much more re-delivery as very few are going to go all the way to Ashford for a collection.

Colin,

can you drop me an email? Happy to meet with you and your CWU colleagues to discuss further

cllr.groberts@richmond.gov.uk



colin pearce said:

I am a postman at Hampton delivery office and was only told of this today! (Wednesday) our cwu union rep was here today to say that they will do all they can to stop this crazy idea, The whole thing is money led and after privatisation this 'merging' of offices has snowballed, Ashford delivery office is more than five miles away from the Hampton site so all the post for Hampton will have to be prepared at Ashford and then driven to Hampton in vans, at 9.30 in the morning that journey alone could take over 20 minutes, so when the Royal Mail says there will be no change to deliveries they are being economical with the truth, another logistical problem will be that there are at least seven Posties at Hampton who live in the town but don't have a driving licence, which means they will have to make their way to Ashford by 6.00am every morning and will then have to share a van with someone who can drive to get them to their delivery! I have worked at Hampton delivery office since 1983 (35 years) and hope to carry on working there for many years to come, but as usual the rumour mongering has started and we have been told that the Royal Mail has already sold the land that the office stands on to the same developer who built the £1 millon houses that occupy the old council yard next door so any talk of 'affordable' housing seems futile 

Hi Jon, most of the mergers (Isleworth have merged with Brentford and Esher with East Molesey as examples) have been with offices that were close to each other to start with, so customers don't have to travel too far to the callers office, that's what makes this move so strange, because there is quite a bit of distance between them, Royal Mail may keep a 'call and collect' service at the sub offices (shops) in Station Road and Hampton Hill high street for parcels that cannot be delivered but there seems to be no information apart from the news that they want to shut the delivery office, it seems the bean counters have just selected Hampton and many other offices as a money saving exercise to please the shareholders

Jon Slinn said:

Colin, have you seen options for collection of parcels in local Post Offices or other even other sorting offices when this has happened in other areas? Transport to Ashford is really not good where as at least Teddington or better the local Post Office would be in reach for most people.

Interesting, do you know which part of the organisation handles this sort of merger? I could write to the board and ask but better to target at the actual division.

The PO in Hampton is served by two people who seem to be rather unpleasant most of the time. The shop is already crowded. How are they going to store private mail safely and will collecting it become as efficient as the folk at the sorting office?

But surely a better option than 20 minute car journeys for this that have cars and multiple buses for those that don't. They are already responsible for security of our post from the minute we drop stuff with then so think that's really a non issue

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service