Hi All,

Not sure if everyone in Hampton received letters through their door or whether the mail was very local to the Thames Street area.  The letters detail a license application for the Bell Inn which in effect wants it to become a nightclub of sorts.  I've copied the planning application below:

To permit live music, recorded music, provision of facilities for dancing and the sale of alcohol on the ground floor and first floor Sunday to Wednesday 10.00 – 00.00 and Thursday - Saturday 10.00 – 02.00
To permit late night refreshment on the ground floor Sunday to Wednesday 23:00 and 00.30 and Thursday to Saturday 23.00 – 02.30
An additional 30 minutes of drinking up time on top of the last permitted sale of alcohol each for each day of the week.
For all of the above from the start fo permitted hours New Years Eve until the end of hours New Years Day

As a nearby resident to The Bell Inn I shall certainly be objecting to this application.  I wanted to let everyone know that the last date for objection to this application is on 1st March 2010.  Please do object if you do not want drinking and dancing until 3:00am  Thursday to Saturday!

Views: 274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thomas Gerrard said:
Under laws passed by the present Government i was of the belief that all pubs could now open 24hrs anyway, regardless of the need to apply for occasional late licences so why this application or is the playing of music a separate issue?

Hello Thomas

As I understand it the provision exists but pubs, clubs and bars still need to apply to be granted the license to do so. This is to allow the people in the general area to register any objections to the proposal. So essentially all licensed premises have the right to apply rather than an automatic right to trade.

As for the description of the surrounding area - I think it's a very real concern that the churchyard is on the doorstep. I'm sorry to appear overly negative but if you're concerned that people alighting the 111 would " urinate on cars, in gardens, even the middle of the road." what do you think they could get up to in a nice quiet and deserted church yard? Better or Worse?
Tom,

You wrote:

"....but give a small thought to people like myself who live on the bus route 111 which these revellers, which you are, understandably, so anxious to avoid, use to journey home from Kingston or Hounslow and after alighting urinate on cars, in gardens, even the middle of the road."

This surely means that you are also of the opinion of not in my back yard. As you are currently suffering from alcohol induced anti-social behavior it seems you would rather hope people would use The Bell than go to Kingston/Richmond/(?Las Vegas?) and that this would move the problem from your back yard to somebody else's. You wrote "It's this 'not in my back yard' attitude that is so annoying." however your most recent post screams of this.

So, you clearly now agree that this license extension and an application for a dance floor will result in antisocial behaviour, "..revellers, which you are, understandably, so anxious to avoid, use to journey home from Kingston or Hounslow and after alighting urinate on cars, in gardens, even the middle of the road," This is precisely the reason why residents of Hampton will be opposing this license extension and dance floor application. Thankfully I do not suffer such antisocial behavior and do not want to.

The fact that you already suffer from such behavior is obviously an issue that needs to be addressed. But I really do not see how turning a 'destination pub' into a nightclub of sorts in Hampton would do this.

I think that we have made our arguments and must agree to disagree. Your comments on revelers urinating on cars, etc, has only strengthened my determination to oppose this application.
Hi Thomas,

Some residents in Thames Street already have told me their front doors are already used as public urinals.

The disruption in the area won't be limited to the Churchyard. The Bell Hill area, the area covered in ugly black tarmac, where the boats are moored, has some vandalism, but they say they expect more.

As for the 111, why not use a smaller bus at night? There are so few passengers after midnight, it would make environmental sense and would cause far less disturbance along it's route.

You're not alone in supporting the license application, mostly they're young and live more than 500m away.

John
I also live very close to The Bell and am coming out in support of the application.

In recent years The Bell has been closed for months on end - presumably because simply operating as a pub is not viable. We have lost The White Hart a few years ago, all of the shops on Thames Street are now closed and there are so many closed-down shops and cafes in Station Road that you can see the tumble weed blowing down the road.

If there is a choice between The Bell modifying its offering or closing down then I would prefer the former. The NIMBY attitude of many of the writers here is appalling.
Jane Holmes said:
I also live very close to The Bell and am coming out in support of the application.

In recent years The Bell has been closed for months on end - presumably because simply operating as a pub is not viable. We have lost The White Hart a few years ago, all of the shops on Thames Street are now closed and there are so many closed-down shops and cafes in Station Road that you can see the tumble weed blowing down the road.

If there is a choice between The Bell modifying its offering or closing down then I would prefer the former. The NIMBY attitude of many of the writers here is appalling.

Hi Jane

Sorry that you don't like the 'NIMBY' attitude but this is a very real concern for many residents who live local to The Bell. To dismiss those concerns as simple NIMBYism does a disservice, in my opinion, to those concerns. You have a point, the Bell should be given every opportunity to thrive but should this be at the expense of the lives of people who could be directly affected by late night opening?

Regarding your comments about the Tumbleweed then we must live in very different villages as I don't recognise that description. Everyday I see people popping in and out of St Johns, going to the pet shop, getting keys cut, having their lunch outside Chinos, going further up the road to Seans to buy meat, Marinis always seems to have a queue when I go in of an evening, the florists always comes up trumps whenever I need them, Mrs Roberts can rarely get an appointment at 75 Ltd (the hairdressers) on the off chance such is the amount of prebooked business on the books, The Worlds End does a good trade as does the Railway Bell and both dry cleaners always seem to have positively groaning rails of clothes waiting to be collected, Monafs is never empty when I go in and if I ever get my hair cut at Sweeny Todds I usually have to queue even midweek. You'll notice I haven't even strayed over the railway bridge yet where I could mention the bakery, Stedmans, Birdie Bikes, the music shop, the bookies, the cafe a new Pizza delivery store, a photographic shop, a framers, a well used laundrette, estate agents, etc. I could go on. Tumbleweed? Where would it find the space?

I'm not wearing rose coloured spectacles here - Yes there are empty shops and I sincerely hope that they are taken up very soon but to suggest as another correspondent did that Hampton is some sort of moribund, stagnant, griefhole simply isn't the case (I'm not suggesting you have said this, by the way!). Hampton is a place in which we should be, and indeed I am, proud to call home.
Hi,

Frosts Yard - Closed
Green Acres - Closed
On your loaf - Closed
Pink Vanilla - Closed
Building contractor next to Chino's - Closed
Chino's suffers because of no parking at a peak times.
The reader will probably be able to remember more ...

In the space of 50m, these businesses all closed and attributed their demise in the greater part to the parking restrictions in Station Road and the callouse actions of the "Spy Car".

Business rates have just increased by 80%. The parking changes 14 times in 400m. How do these policies help our high streets thrive?

The yellow lines in Ashley Road outside Stedmans' were not painted in for weeks after the road was resurfaced, all the businesses reported a 10% increase in trade, local residents were happy! Hampton did not become congested and the world did not come to an end. Weeks later, when the lines were reinstated, the businesses reported an immediate drop, and residents retuned to anxiously looking over their shoulders for fear of being caught by the "Spy Car". How does the council's heavy hand in the till help these business or improve the life of the residents of Hampton?

I love living in Hampton and that's why I want to help protect it from the caustic policies that are hurting the residents and businesses alike.

John Soones
One does wonder, John, if all of these businesses failed, owing to the parking regulations and spy car activity as you suggest then why do other businesses survive? I think it's too simplistic to blame parking policy as St Johns, Chinos, Asters, Post Office, Tail End, various Estate Agents, The Worlds End, Announce It and the Key Cutting Shop are all affected by the same issues yet they survive.

As it happens, I don't like the Spy Car either and I and my fellow Lib Dems have asked that the activities of the Spy Car be reduced in Hampton and that when the contract comes up for renewal next year that the council gives favour to any tender for the contract that doesn't include provision of the Spy Car.

What I think is very interesting is that for all the, no doubt well intentioned, rhetoric from the Conservatives over the issue of parking they have not pledged to scrap the spy car. I've checked the manifesto and it isn't mentioned and I've checked the 10 point Parking Charter and it isn't mentioned there, either.

As for the other side of the bridge, I'm sure you'll be pleased to learn, John, that the hugely successful and popular short term parking bay scheme which operates on the Hampton Green side will soon be extended over to the other side of the bridge so that businesses can benefit from having a parking area that won't be blocked by long term parking. At least I hope you'll be pleased as one of the Conservative manifesto pledges is to " Bring in short-term free parking near shopping high streets."

Quite how one "brings in" something which already exists is something of an existential minefield but I imagine it's supposed to give the impression that it would be an innovation which, of course, it isn't.
As you know, I've been pressing for changes locally since Feb 2009, so I am pleased that my efforts have had some positive effects. It's a shame that the changes you mention, are too late for the businesses that have already failed.

On the other side of the bridge.
Wine Rack - Closed
Plush Folly - Closed

Are you speaking for Cllr Trigg, the current Cabinet Member for Traffic, Transport and Parking? Has he pledged to get rid of the Spy Car?

Will he also pledge to help retailers and residents alike by following the Conservative lead of free short term parking in high streets?

Regards,
John
It's an odd thing to do to press for things which already existed, given that the short stay bays were there before February 2009. And, of course, I'm sure there would have been many other voices calling for similar innovations before that date, not least the traders, which would explain why they were so pleased when they were installed. I'm sure there's credit enough to be shared around.

Am I speaking for Cllr Trigg? No, just for myself. Has he pledged to get rid of the spy car? Not to the best of my knowledge but I sincerely hope he will take our comments on board. Just as a matter of interest, I think I'm right in saying that his opposite number, Cllr Head, hasn't given that pledge either, which is interesting.

As for the pledge on free parking in High Streets, well of course we have that in Hampton already.

Wine Rack? Quite how the parking restrictions in Hampton can bring down an entire national chain of off licenses is beyond my reckoning. Perhaps we're back to the original point of it being a trifle simplistic to lay the blame for the demise of all of those businesses on a sole major factor.
So that we understand this properly, just before the election, you and your fellow Lib Dem candidates have asked for the the Spy Car to operate less in Hampton and Cllr Trigg will not pledge to abandon it's use after the election?
Jay - I too was surprised by the picture framing shop opening but my wife thinks it has a good chance and she is usually rather better at judging these things than me. When I see all the closed shops, I do think they are suffering from the immediate impact of the Credit Crunch recession but also from the longer term challenge of the internet. Five years ago, my household would only very occasionally buy things on the internet, now for most things (except food and clothes) it is pretty much the first port of call. I think we probably have to imagine a high street in 10 years time that is fairly different from what we now see. What can survive? Well, there is sure to be some convenience shops (everydays looks fairly secure to me!) and I think restaurants, clubs and bars have a future, after that I suppose it will mainly be shops where there are advantages in physically browsing and buying (e.g. clothes, accessories, picture frames?). I also imagine that in 10 years time the estate agents will have disappeared just as the banks have done. On the plus side maybe we will see drop-in office centres - the commuters equivalent of the internet cafe - so we can all walk or cycle to work rather than having to drive or go by train.
No, not 'Just before' John, we called for this some time ago. As for Cllr Trigg not pledging anything at this stage, surely it would be quite improper for a cabinet member who will have a major contribution to make in awarding the contract when it comes up for renewal in a year's time (assuming the Lib Dems are successful) to start giving pointers as to which bids would be viewed favourably and which views would receive less favour.

As it is the Hampton Lib Dems' position is quite clear - we would like to see preference given to a bid which doesn't involve the spy car. Given that the Conservatives not only have their manifesto but also a specific 10 Point Pledge regarding traffic and parking issues and the removal of the Spy Car isn't even suggested as being preferable in either, one must assume the Conservative position would be to keep it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service