Hello,

It's often quite difficult to find parking on our road - Avenue road, in Hampton Village.  There are no parking restrictions on the road, meaning it is used by people who live there, but also visitors and crucially people working in the local businesses, estate agents etc.  

I've looked back through this feed, but was wondering if there was any recent conversation about creating a parking lot in Hampton for visitors and businesses? Or of changing the parking restrictions to protect residents?

Thanks,

M

Views: 408

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unfortunately changing the parking restrictions will not help the residents of Avenue Road, we have been down this route several times all that would happen is you would have to pay for the restrictions and that wouldn't necessarily get you parked in our road, Dexters and the other business and of course the people who park in our road from flats above the shops would also get the same benefits, catch 22 2 I am afraid.  A parking lot would be super, but always seems to be ignored

Hi Janice,

I am not very knowledgeable about parking restrictions so please excuse me - but if the parking was resident parking only, wouldn't that benefit the residents exclusively?

If we DID want to push for a parking lot... who / what is the best place to petition to?  It seems there are a lot of vacant/ little used buildings and businesses in Hampton which could be possible sites.

M

Hello 'M'

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but is it your suggesting that one of these little used buildings/businesses should be pulled down to provide a car park?

Quite apart from whether that would be allowable under planning rules (I very much doubt it) how would the cost be met?

M Fowles said:

Hi Janice,

I am not very knowledgeable about parking restrictions so please excuse me - but if the parking was resident parking only, wouldn't that benefit the residents exclusively?

If we DID want to push for a parking lot... who / what is the best place to petition to?  It seems there are a lot of vacant/ little used buildings and businesses in Hampton which could be possible sites.

M

Hi M

People have tried for CPZ twice and it was voted against, mainly because the area was too big and you cannot have it exclusively for residents of Avenue Road.  As I said before all you will be doing is paying not to be able to park, businesses and the flats in Station Road would also get it if they wanted to pay for it, so no better off at all.  It is called Controlled Parking Zones, not resident parking which is misleading.  As to trying to get some parking I suppose you need to lobby the Council.  It was suggested that when the police station came up for sale that the Council could buy some of it for car parking, but needless to say they didn't want to part with the money.

Well the question of making up the revenue is a complicated one - empty business aren't generating income for the village, and poor parking affects property values.  But also, parking lots, like the ones in Sunbury with meters, generate income for the village, not only in direct income from the meters themselves, but also by drawing in shoppers from other villages to stop at our shops and restaurants where there will be adequate parking.  

Hi

The revenue from the meters is taken by the Council and goes into 'the pot', it doesn't/wouldn't stay in Hampton. 

As Janice quite rightly points out, the issue is mainly created by residents. For a variety of reasons, most obvious being:

Small terrace houses (about 5m wide/1 car length), with many houses running more than one car, often two. So this in itself absorbs much of the kerbside parking spaces.

Secondly, the local council have granted planning permission to many flats on Station Road recently (opposite the Station, The old Railway Tavern, opposite the playground, near Chinos Cafe and soon to be the old Police Garage to name just a few). Scarcely any of these apartments have sufficient parking, some have none at all. This and the reason above is why there is such demand.

Controlled Parking Zones will probably lead to fewer spaces but we will have the benfit of paying £80+ a year for the privilege (not including visitors who will need to pay (assuming they can find a spaces)....) . Only way it may work is if Station Road were excluded from the parking zones, but that is very unlikley to happen in practice.

Cheers

M

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service