So I notice there has been a lot more activity around that vacant space opposite the station, has anyone heard of what might be coming our way?

Views: 1483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have to admit that in the past I have often raised an objection to a planning application but not in this borough so much. I have never feared having my name or address printed as I believe my objections were subjective and reasonable.

Most recently I have been involved with objecting to a planning application policed by the TVBC and whilst they publish all the letters of objection on line they delete (it looks like with thick felt tip pen) all telephone and e-mail details from the headed notepaper of the objectors along with their signatures. The address remains untouched.

Fortunately we live in a democracy where harassment can be policed and would go against the applicant if reported to the relevant planning council.

I will continue to object as I would for yet another take away in Hampton village.

I note the applicants address is there for all of us to read and take note of!

The more letters of objection to the council over this application, the greater the chance of it being passed to committee or thrown out is my experience.

I stand to be corrected if wrong.

Hi Charles, Maybe it should be the persons choice as to whether they would like to be anonymous, surely someone has received animosity before they would be less likely to leave comment in the future

Hello

I received the following response -

"The Information commissioner has been heavily involved in what should or shouldn’t be redacted in planning case files and we do follow his rules. 

In some high profile cases we have had a significant number of on line representations where a lot of those people just gave us a post code.

Ideally we need to understand if an objection or letter of support is from a neighbour or just a more general comment. It also helps us when we have new information, if we need to reconsult, we do go back to those who have made representations and allow them to update.  If there were no addresses we cant do that and thus objectors don’t get a chance.

The principles on planning is that the file is an open public record and representations are available in full.  So if somebody was to come into the council offices and asked to look in the file, the information should be fully available and not redacted.

So the obligation on us is to publish the information, just redacting key information."

Thank you for obtaining that response, Gareth. Not particularly satisfactory though.

It explains what I already understood; the need for the planning officers to have full details to understand the breadth and depth of responses, and to further consult with interested parties etc. However, it does not follow that the requirement to collect and store address data for that specific purpose means it must also be displayed on the planning web pages, which are patently more open and freely available to the public than a paper copy of the file kept at council offices. 

I am very familiar with the Information Commissioner's advice and the 8 Data Protection principles arising from the DPA; it would seem that at the very least the option of having address details displayed on the web site, or not, should be given to anyone wishing to comment on a planning application.

Still, whilst potentially interesting for at least one of us this is all quite off topic from the original post (apologies Chris). I only hope that anyone wishing to object to or support any planning applications is not dissuaded by their personal contact data being published for all to see.

Sadly yes.

Chris said:

Ian did that really happen? That's outrageous. If someone wants to state which flat they in then that's their choice but otherwise surely the application process can hide the name and address once they have seen that it a genuine objection or agreement?
Well I missed that one as well, I always read the planning applications in the local paper (sad I know) and I missed this completely. I have been on the site and looked at the proposals and have put in an objection, parking in the bus stop lane I believe is illegal and that's the only parking space down there. The Council did use to blank out personal details, but that seems to have stopped. Gareth you said it was hard to do so, but on a letter written to the council someone had taken out the complainants name but left in the address, well on a letter that could have been done easily.

Anyway enough said I have backed the no pizza place

All the comments on here are against any form of take away outlet, but no has said what they would like to see and approve of?

I'm going to be blunt here, but I'm a big boy and can take the flack. I agree that we should use local shops and I am assuming that most people would want to see an independent business opening and not a chain? The problem for a lot of 'Locals' is that a majority of the shops are simply too expensive and you can get pretty much like for like elsewhere. The local convenience stores have done themselves no favours over the years by a contentious selling of out of date products and in some a complete lack of customer skills.

I agree that there is already enough food outlets in Hampton and there are plenty of Take away's that already serve Hampton from other areas. I'm really scratching my head though as to what would be a viable business?

Hairdressers?

Jason Dorner - Island Locks said:

All the comments on here are against any form of take away outlet, but no has said what they would like to see and approve of?

I'm going to be blunt here, but I'm a big boy and can take the flack. I agree that we should use local shops and I am assuming that most people would want to see an independent business opening and not a chain? The problem for a lot of 'Locals' is that a majority of the shops are simply too expensive and you can get pretty much like for like elsewhere. The local convenience stores have done themselves no favours over the years by a contentious selling of out of date products and in some a complete lack of customer skills.

I agree that there is already enough food outlets in Hampton and there are plenty of Take away's that already serve Hampton from other areas. I'm really scratching my head though as to what would be a viable business?

Lol! I was maybe thinking Indian Restaurant Bill?

I like my food and I think there is probably room for another restaurant, Turkish maybe...? On another note (and not one to be taken too seriously) I was just wondering when you actually become a 'Local' I've been in Hampton now for 9 years, love the place and if I could only afford a bigger house then I would happily stay here for the next 20 years - I feel like we have bedded in now but what the acceptable time frame, am I looking another 6 to get to 15 years or is it 20+

Well I have been here 15 years next week, I consider myself a local, but then I think after 9 years I thought that too. I lived in Teddington before that, so not too far away.

Back to the discussion. We were all saying about the Steadman shop and an ironmongers, something like that would be appropriate anywhere in the village, it's more to the point is that we have a 2 pizza places, at least 3 cafe's too many Indian, albeit I like the Riverside. Chino's tried Italian in the evenings but appears to have stopped. Then of course there's ALL the hairdressers, where do their clients come from? Shame all the plots are not ideal for a mini garden centre
Does anyone have any more news on the status of the planning applications for these premises?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service