Last night as I drove home I was stunned to see this addition to Hampton Village!!!   After all the discussion about Waitrose this seems to have arrived without any warning.  I don't know how long it has been there, but the sign is hideous.  It seems completely out of place and will only attract trouble.

Kebab and burgers 7 days a week!  I feel really sorry for the person who lives above this as the sign will reflect pink neon during these dark winter days.

I spoke to the lovely Lynn in the Off Licence who says that Gareth Roberts is looking into how this was given planning permission.  I hope so because I was truly shocked.  We have so many lovely new shops that have opened/opening but this is really a step backwards in my eyes.

Views: 8429

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Beverly

 

Yes, I've approached the planning department regarding the signage. The reason why this was allowed to slip in under the radar was because there was no change of use; if you recall it was Dar Latifa, which then became the pizza delivery company. The reason for Waitrose being so prominent was that it required specific planning permission to change from office to retail use.

 

I've asked regarding the back lit nature of the signage and the siting of the smaller cadet sign higher up the wall.

 

I'm also enquiring to see what hours of business have been approved.

 

As soon as I have details I'll get back to you

 

Cheers

 

G

My daughter also commented on how horrible the sign was! Hope they can be persuaded to have something a bit nicer.

Kebabs are my one nutritional downfall! Looking forward to testing the food out when it's open for business :)

 

Is it just the sign that is the problem here?

I'm in the same boat, Jason. When I cycle back from a late meeting at York House and I get to the main junction at Hampton Hill I find my bike inexplicably veering round the corner towards the kebab shop on the corner.

 

To be fair, it is a pretty jarring sign, but I think there are also concerns that it may become a hub for anti-social behaviour; whether that turns out to be the case remains to be seen. Then again the shop I mentioned above has never had a problem when I've been there.



Jason Dorner said:

Kebabs are my one nutritional downfall! Looking forward to testing the food out when it's open for business :)

 

Is it just the sign that is the problem here?

My son too is very interested in the kebabs so I am willing to admit that although they are not my favourite food there is a demand out there!!  I think the sign is the main problem and I suppose the opening hours will affect whether it becomes a hub for anti-social behaviour.  I am interested to hear what other members think.

Hi Gareth;

Please give this your utmost attention.

Gareth Roberts said:

Hello Beverly

 

Yes, I've approached the planning department regarding the signage. The reason why this was allowed to slip in under the radar was because there was no change of use; if you recall it was Dar Latifa, which then became the pizza delivery company. The reason for Waitrose being so prominent was that it required specific planning permission to change from office to retail use.

 

I've asked regarding the back lit nature of the signage and the siting of the smaller cadet sign higher up the wall.

 

I'm also enquiring to see what hours of business have been approved.

 

As soon as I have details I'll get back to you

 

Cheers

 

G

Hello Mary, Hello Beverley and Hello Everybody

 

The signage is now the subject of an investigation by the Enforcement Team at the council. This does NOT mean that the signage will be taken down but it will be inspected to check that it is compliant with council requirements. They may find that it needs to come down, they may not.

 

I am also following up the late opening hours and checking that what permissions, if any, these have received.

 

G

 



mary r said:

Hi Gareth;

Please give this your utmost attention.

Gareth Roberts said:

Hello Beverly

 

Yes, I've approached the planning department regarding the signage. The reason why this was allowed to slip in under the radar was because there was no change of use; if you recall it was Dar Latifa, which then became the pizza delivery company. The reason for Waitrose being so prominent was that it required specific planning permission to change from office to retail use.

 

I've asked regarding the back lit nature of the signage and the siting of the smaller cadet sign higher up the wall.

 

I'm also enquiring to see what hours of business have been approved.

 

As soon as I have details I'll get back to you

 

Cheers

 

G

OK! I've been in correspondence with the borough's Senior Licensing Officer and she has advised me as follows (the bold and underlining is mine)

 

"The Premises Licence for a premises lasts as long as the building remains unless it is surrendered by the current Licence Holder.

The Licensing Authority have not received any surrender of licence, as far as I am aware. 

Normally a business is sold with the Premises Licence (as a valuable commodity) which is then transferred over to the new management by way of an application and fee sent in to the Licensing Authority.

It is a quick process just to change the name of the Licence Holder and the Designated Premises Supervisor and does not allow any change to the Premises Licence as granted.

The hours and conditions remain the same as they cannot be changed unless a Variation of Licence is applied for.

This would involve advertisement by way of a blue notice for 28 days displayed in the premises window plus a newspaper advert and would be open to representation by any Interested Parties in the vicinity."

The current licence for the premises is for the following opening hours

 

The opening hours of the premises:

Monday to Saturday - 11:00 to 23:00

Sunday -                     11:00 to 22:00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope that helps to allay some fears about hours of opening
Best Wishes

 

Thank G for that!

I hope that the new owners don't join HPN anytime soon, as they haven't even got a foot in the door before being almost hounded out of town!

well, I hope they join soon and persuade everyone to love them :-)
Thanks for all the info Gareth.  And yes Audrey I passed a very similar place on Goldhawk Road, Shepherds Bush - it was more or less the same sign - THE GRILL, but as you say they won't be relying on passing traffic so something a bit more subtle would be fine.

They all look the same, the signs, no matter where they are. Generally BOLD and red which makes it stick out compared to other shop signs.

 

That's the point though isn't it?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service