Last night as I drove home I was stunned to see this addition to Hampton Village!!!   After all the discussion about Waitrose this seems to have arrived without any warning.  I don't know how long it has been there, but the sign is hideous.  It seems completely out of place and will only attract trouble.

Kebab and burgers 7 days a week!  I feel really sorry for the person who lives above this as the sign will reflect pink neon during these dark winter days.

I spoke to the lovely Lynn in the Off Licence who says that Gareth Roberts is looking into how this was given planning permission.  I hope so because I was truly shocked.  We have so many lovely new shops that have opened/opening but this is really a step backwards in my eyes.

Views: 8429

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have taken a look on Richmond Planning's website and I am disappointed that I was unaware of a "consultation". I presumed that permission had already been given for the sign - I would have liked to be able to input in some way but seems it is too late now. Whether or not you like kebabs or welcome The Grill the sign does seem out of keeping and unnecessary - they are not competing for attention and the area is otherwise quite low key. Maybe Planning will see it this way - but I suspect now it is up it isn't coming down. In which case I just hope that they make a success of it and work with the community to keep trouble at bay.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way Petra but I can assure you that strict rules exist to ensure that councillors are unable to exercise any influence which would be personally beneficial to them or to their property. And the law is quite clear, if there is no change of use on a property or any application for a variation on the premises license then a company can open up in a vacant property without any need for council permission unless there are specific local bye-laws in place such as the ones which some councils are introducing to limit the number of fast food outlets which are in close proximity to secondary schools.

Now I have been in contact with our new Sergeant. I'm advised that arrests have been made, both yesterday and today. He is aware of the residents' concerns and will be deploying his team appropriately to take those concerns into account.

Petra Sale said:

Well you are very lucky Gareth to have gone in at quiet times...it seems I will have to film or take photographs of it instead! Look lets face it if it was you or the other 2 councillors living where I do then that would not have been a kebab shop regardless of what you say :) Most evenings you can't get past the groups of youths who stand on the pavement for some bizarre reason...they don't stand in the fenced bit but the pavement! Lily won't go the Everyday's now because the boys (and girls) standing about make her feel vulnerable and frightened. My mum asked one of the boys to move off the pathway as she couldn't get past...and his reply " F****** go around you stupid b****" and going around meant going around a car and into the road, then he started shouting abuse at her. This is a common occurrence and if you were ask the commuters coming off the train at around 7ish, some of them would give you a similar story. The owners/staff need to take a better look at how their business is effecting the area at night, its no good me telling them as they just say its "not my problem"...they wont care as long as they're making the money. I also see their planning for their sign is in and consultation has ended. I like the way that you've announced the license consultation thingy for the Hampton supermarket and not this one as I know many people who find the sign etc offensive who didn't even know there was planning going app going on. 

Anyone tried one of their kebabs? And are they any good?

It may be worth emailing your thoughts to the Planning Officer looking after this application asking if he will accept a late representation his details are:- R.Naylor@richmond.gov.uk   Application number 11/4155/ADV.

Beverley Russell said: 

I have taken a look on Richmond Planning's website and I am disappointed that I was unaware of a "consultation". I presumed that permission had already been given for the sign - I would have liked to be able to input in some way but seems it is too late now. Whether or not you like kebabs or welcome The Grill the sign does seem out of keeping and unnecessary - they are not competing for attention and the area is otherwise quite low key. Maybe Planning will see it this way - but I suspect now it is up it isn't coming down. In which case I just hope that they make a success of it and work with the community to keep trouble at bay.

Just further to Ian's post - I've checked with Robert Naylor and he has agreed that as a decision has yet to be made on this application he will accept written representations. But get in quick as the door will not remain open indefinitely

Ian Cook said:

It may be worth emailing your thoughts to the Planning Officer looking after this application asking if he will accept a late representation his details are:- R.Naylor@richmond.gov.uk   Application number 11/4155/ADV.

Beverley Russell said: 

Yes, they are very, very good

Marc Lewis said:

Pleased for you Petra

... so are their cheeseburgers!! I have used them on 2 occasions and both times they are very very pleasant and accommodating, in fact I was in there yesterday and a teenager was asked politely to remove her feet from the seats, no big deal was made and she removed them without fuss.

Deb said:

Yes, they are very, very good

Marc Lewis said:

hi petra im the owner of the village grill im so sory about the shop sign course so much problem but before i ve got that sign put up there i have email the council and ask them wat tipe of sign we are alloved and they have not told me that i cant put this tipe of sign so this sign cost me a lot of money now i ask the council that it is there falt to not talt me so im istl waiting to here from them wat to do

Petra Sale said:

PLANNING REFUSED....SIGN NOT ALLOWED TO BE LIT!!! YES!!!! 

hello for all village people i am the owner of the village grill i am so sorry about my shop sing  cousing problem but it is not my fault i email the council and ask them any restriction about the signs in the village and they told there isnt any so after all this they told me that i have to take it off but thats not fair for us spending a lot of money for this sign but i am going to do something a bout it     and also i wasnt were off this sign making problems for my neighbours if i new it then i would be do something long time a go 

Hello Barry

That's pretty mean of the council not explaining things more correctly and I do hope you get some satisfaction from them. Unfortunately your sign did manage to upset a few of the villagers, but then a lot of things upset the villagers!! but I think it is very decent of you to come on to this discussion board and introduce yourself and whilst the sign didn't cause me any problems I am sure it will go a long way to apease those that it did.  For the record your cheeseburgers and scrummy!! :-)

Hello Barry - yes definitely good to hear your point of view. I think perhaps the sign is a little too much considering the location - I hope you are able to come to a solution that suits all.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service