Hello 

A spot of public service announcing here. A new premises license has been received by the council and is due to be heard by the Licensing Committee

Licensing Act 2003 Premises Licence: Notice of hearing

The Licensing Authority, on the 4th January 2012 received an application for a new premises licence for

Hampton Supermarket

31 Percy Road Hampton TW12 2HW

The Licensing Authority gives notice that representations will be considered at a hearing at 15:00 on the 29th February 2012, to be held at the Council Chamber, York House, Richmond Road Twickenham, TW1 3AA when the Licensing Authority will determine the application.

At the hearing there will be an opportunity for interested parties/responsible authorities to speak in order to give a personal account of evidence as contained in written submissions.  Written notification to be sent to the Licensing Authority.

Now you may be in favour of a new license being granted to Hampton Supermarket or you may oppose it but what I hear time and time again from my colleagues on Licensing is that even though they may get letters, they may get petitions and they may get online representations there is rarely any public attendance at the hearing themselves. Indeed when this license was last reviewed the counsel for the licensee suggested that public opinion wasn't that strong as there was nobody in attendance other than the licensee and the local police (and me of course, otherwise how could I report that!)

So if you feel strongly one way or the other please make the effort to attend - 3.00pm isn't the best time, I know, but do try. If you can't then do remember to make your comments known to the Licensing Committee well in advance of the hearing

Views: 586

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Gareth thanks for the information, we also received notification from Licensing at Richmond, unlike the last hearing when nobody knew about it, I seem to remember you saying it was by chance you wandered in as you were passing and heard the comment.

I will go, if I'm back, but we have forwarded our comments which we hope will be taken into consideration, in view of that is it necessary or expected to put in a personal appearance as well?  

I think perhaps many people are also reluctant to attend particularly following a previously failed planning application when the owner felt the need to pay some of the objectors 'late night visits'.

Hi Ian

Not quite by chance that I wandered in - I was aware of the hearing and it was by chance that I was attending another meeting in York House that was happening at the same time as the licensing committee; there were sufficient breaks in the meeting I was attending or lulls in matters appertaining directly to Hampton that allowed me to leg it from one meeting to the other.

I would encourage those people who feel strongly to attend. I appreciate that there are security concerns involved but

it is useful for objecters and supporters to attend so that they may be able to add weight to their written concerns.

Ian Cook said:

Hi Gareth thanks for the information, we also received notification from Licensing at Richmond, unlike the last hearing when nobody knew about it, I seem to remember you saying it was by chance you wandered in as you were passing and heard the comment.

I will go, if I'm back, but we have forwarded our comments which we hope will be taken into consideration, in view of that is it necessary or expected to put in a personal appearance as well?  

I think perhaps many people are also reluctant to attend particularly following a previously failed planning application when the owner felt the need to pay some of the objectors 'late night visits'.

Thanks Gareth, sorry I misunderstood your presence at the first hearing.

Regards Ian

Gareth Roberts said:

Hi Ian

Not quite by chance that I wandered in - I was aware of the hearing and it was by chance that I was attending another meeting in York House that was happening at the same time as the licensing committee; there were sufficient breaks in the meeting I was attending or lulls in matters appertaining directly to Hampton that allowed me to leg it from one meeting to the other.

I would encourage those people who feel strongly to attend. I appreciate that there are security concerns involved but

it is useful for objecters and supporters to attend so that they may be able to add weight to their written concerns.

Ian Cook said:

Are you for or against this then Gareth? I hardly drink alcohol, so doesn't worry me either way. I suppose the super market is only trying to make a living and drink is probably available at the pubs to buy in any case.

I don't drink either so I find it increasingly worrying when underage groups are being supplied with their booze by this shop. Their original license has been revoked and this application for a new License has been made in a different name, as there are a small number of people working there presumably this License is being applied for with the 'knowledge' of what has transpired.
Marc Lewis said:

Are you for or against this then Gareth? I hardly drink alcohol, so doesn't worry me either way. I suppose the super market is only trying to make a living and drink is probably available at the pubs to buy in any case.

Well if they have sold alcohol to under age people, they should not have the licence granted. And if the licence application has been made in a different name, I would have thought the licensing authority would pick up on that. Lets hope so.

Ian Cook said:

I don't drink either so I find it increasingly worrying when underage groups are being supplied with their booze by this shop. Their original license has been revoked and this application for a new License has been made in a different name, as there are a small number of people working there presumably this License is being applied for with the 'knowledge' of what has transpired.
Marc Lewis said:

Hi Marc

Ian sums it up very well, the original license was revoked for selling alcohol to minors - and I'm afraid to say that it wasn't the first time that Hampton Supermarket failed the 'secret shopper' test. 

It would give me no pleasure whatsoever if Hampton Supermarket's application for the new license fails; any independent business which fails is a cause for regret. However there is the consideration of the greater good and the protection of the greater good and in the light of past transgressions this must be a primary consideration.

I shall be attending the hearing and I shall be representing residents views. Unless I receive assurances that their concerns and those of the police are adequately addressed I shall oppose the new application.

Marc Lewis said:

Well if they have sold alcohol to under age people, they should not have the licence granted. And if the licence application has been made in a different name, I would have thought the licensing authority would pick up on that. Lets hope so.

Ian Cook said:

Marc Lewis said:

Hi Gareth,

I live not that far away from Hampton Supermarket and if they have failed the Secret Shopper as you say, then I would be opposed to them being granted a licence again. I'm assuming it's not under new management?

They got their drinks licence back though, even though the police opposed the application.

Lets hope they now act in a more responsible manner.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service