I understand there is to be another consultation regarding parking and CPZs. We have been down this route many times in the last few years and it has been thrown out as the majority don't like the idea. Firstly there is not sufficient space for the amount of cars owned by residents in Hampton let alone visitors and shoppers. Introducing parking restrictions and CPZs will not solve the problem. Paying a fee will NOT GUARANTEE a place for your vehicle, all it will do is fill the Council coffers. Do you really want to pay,only to find the same situation. We need a Car Park in Hampton and or Resident parking plus wardens who are a little more forgiving in minor situations and petty enforcement in residential streets.

Views: 1292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well done Steph, I went and wrapped them round my little finger with the questions I asked, one being what happens to the Station Road parking, 'Answer, we will make provisions' not good enough as we have to park there sometimes as we cannot get into our road. Like tonight, my son is bringing my car back , there is nowhere in Avenue Road for him to park, ok he is young but I am not.  I don't go out in the evening because I can't go by car and don't feel safe when I get back and not be able to park.  That's the problem, there's no commuters or businesses tonight and we are jammed packed.  Too many two car families in such a small area

To prove my point my son brought my car back this evening, I asked where it was parked and lo and behold he managed to get a spot in Plevna Road, I will have to go and find out whereabouts tomorrow before | go to pick up my grandchildren.  What if that was me?  I am a 72 year old woman and don't feel safe in the dark and that could have been me.  CPZ won't alter that, as no businesses going and no commuters, it's purely too many cars in a small area.  Too many two car families,  NO TO CPZ I don't want to pay NOT to be able to park anywhere near my house

Having been up and down Percy Road today by bus, the parking was the same, as was Linden Road when I looked down there, no trains, well one an hour, it's not commuters both roads were jammed pack as always, as was mine Avenue Road.  CPZ won't solve this

Not sure why no one has mentioned or thought of this before. Extend Zone 6 to Kempton Park, and allow commuters to use the car park at the racecource during the week. I would have thought this would be a win win solution. It would relieve commuter parking in Hampton and Fulwell area and make money for the racecource whose car park is probaly under utilised during the week.

Good idea Ed (it would also ease congestion on the Upper Sunbury Road and Hampton Village), but it would require South Western to extend the zone and lose revenue.

This is why I fear this idea will never come to fruition.

SWT has been asked I believe and as Murdoch says they won't do it because of the loss of revenue

I did mention this at the meeting 're CPZs. We have been asking for this to be sorted for years but it's Spellthorn  council and SWT who are the fly in the ointment. I don't know why they don't have a Park and Ride for shoppers. That would be a.good income for the Jockey club/Kempton racecourse. They've been trying to raise  money for years. Hopefully the huge housing development is now off the adgenda. It would make sense for the flower show in the Summer too. Save the green belt but use the huge Car park. Something could be arranged on race days especially if the Station was Zone 6. More folk would travel.be train. Sandown park racecourse make money all year round by using their car park. Needs a woman to sort It out pity Boris is so busy. Keep smiling...Say NO to CPZ s. Merry Xmas.

Do we know Kempton Racecourse's view on this? If they would be in favour of making parking available, maybe start a petition or pressure the relevant MP's'

Yup.  Unfortunately SW Trains and latterly SW Railway refuse to consider the extension of the zones beyond Hampton solely because of their aversion to losing cash.

As to whether such a move would have a great impact on the commuter parking, I’m less sure. We did a survey, admittedly a few years back now, asking people at the station how they arrived. If they drove we asked them from where. The majority of responses were ‘Hampton’. One guy had even driven from Ormond Avenue! 

One glimmer of light in so far as getting the franchise back from SW Railway was that during the election the local Conservative candidates in Richmond Park and North Kingston & Kingston & Surbiton were campaigning on the back of a pledge to bring SW Railway metropolitan services under the control of TfL. They may not have won in those seats but one assumes these pledges were approved centrally and therefore will be honoured by the party in Government. So there’s something for us to start writing to Grant Shapps or whoever is appointed as Transport Secretary.

I would have thought that if KP was in Zone 6, it would encourage more people to travel by train on race days and for other events there.

Having commuter parking/park and ride would also increase train usage, so the net effect may be an increase in SWT profits. There is also the green and pollution angle that has become a lot more relevant recently.

Another proposal was making KP a bus and coach hub; ideally placed for the M3 and trains into London.

How long ago Gareth? Which year?

Gareth Roberts said:

Yup.  Unfortunately SW Trains and latterly SW Railway refuse to consider the extension of the zones beyond Hampton solely because of their aversion to losing cash.

As to whether such a move would have a great impact on the commuter parking, I’m less sure. We did a survey, admittedly a few years back now, asking people at the station how they arrived. If they drove we asked them from where. The majority of responses were ‘Hampton’. One guy had even driven from Ormond Avenue! 

One glimmer of light in so far as getting the franchise back from SW Railway was that during the election the local Conservative candidates in Richmond Park and North Kingston & Kingston & Surbiton were campaigning on the back of a pledge to bring SW Railway metropolitan services under the control of TfL. They may not have won in those seats but one assumes these pledges were approved centrally and therefore will be honoured by the party in Government. So there’s something for us to start writing to Grant Shapps or whoever is appointed as Transport Secretary.

Don’t forget to take the Hampton CPZ survey before 10th January.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service