Station Road Planning Application opposite playground

Hello all

I've just noticed a new application has been submitted for Albion House (building on the corner of Oldfield Road & Station Road). Whilst the previous application received complaints regarding the lack of parking (eight bays) this new application has just FOUR bays serving EIGHT residential units.

Assuming each unit has one car, thats obviously four more cars to try and find a space down Oldfield Rd, Rose Hill or Beards Hill. If each unit has two cars then thats TWELVE more competing for a space......

Gareth what is your view on this, would you support this application, or would you object? I note your concern in the other thread regarding the parking situation close to the Police Station, the situation here is identical.

For me this is vote winner! The roads mentioned above are at saturation point in the evenings (nothing to do with commuters), any increase will likely tip it over the edge. A future CPZ wouldn't be much use unless all properties in Station Road were excluded (not much chance of that I fear) AND the zone extended well into the evening (again, not much chance of that).

Be good to hear your views Gareth (I appreciate you're a busy man at the moment!)

For those interested, here is a link to the planning application - 

http://www2.richmond.gov.uk/PlanData2/ShowCaseFile.aspx?appNumber=1...

Views: 953

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember when the flats were built on the corner of Station Road with only 2 parking spaces. The Council said that because they were by the station the residents wouldn't have cars!  I hope things with regard to parking spaces has changed otherwise it will be even more of a nightmare than it is now.

Murdoch, please accept my apologies. This is a thread I've been meaning to get around to - fortunately a long train journey tomorrow means I'll be able to devote sufficient time to it.

Best wishes

G

I think this is very alarming - already that corner of the road opposite the green is being developed (just as you come over the railway bridge) - before it was one dwelling? Surely we don't want our village built up?

Hi Gareth

Have you had any further thoughts about this application? I got the impression from your reply that you were intending to comment further?

Cheers

M

Gareth Roberts said:

Murdoch, please accept my apologies. This is a thread I've been meaning to get around to - fortunately a long train journey tomorrow means I'll be able to devote sufficient time to it.

Best wishes

G

Apologies Murdoch - it's been one of those weeks. The Turing House School HooHah not doing anything to make it less of one of those weeks

Yes, I had a look at the application and, frankly, at first glance I was surprised to see that there was so little comment on it and then I saw the two dread words in the corner 'Prior Approval'. Now for the uninitiated Prior Approval is the latest  wheeze to come out of Whitehall in general and the office of the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government in particular; putting it crudely landlords sitting in possession of vacant office buildings can now simply change the planning designation of their property from office to residential and there's very little the local authorities can do to stop them.

In some cases, depending on the scale and location of the development the council can step in, as happened only last week with the Prior Approval application for Bridge House in Twickenham. This was turned down at Planning Committee because of the concern about the impact of parking. I appreciate this is an issue of concern in Hampton but what was under discussion was a multistory building with many, many units of housing. Our development is relatively modest in comparison and given that some parking is provided on site it is unlikely that any challenge would be successful.

Murdoch said:

Hi Gareth

Have you had any further thoughts about this application? I got the impression from your reply that you were intending to comment further?

Cheers

M

Gareth Roberts said:

Best wishes

G

It seems the same(ish) is happening at no.95 Station road as well. They want to modify the large window at the front (I thought these shops were under a conservation order?) and then turn it into 'modified office space' when he has been going around saying to everyone that he is going to turn it into a house which will ruin the few shops along that line there.

Shows how times change! On the Nurserylands development, each unit is allocated one garage and one off-road parking space. A couple of years ago we successfully objected to a development which would have removed one garage, on the basis that it would increase street parking, in a relatively quiet area. Can't imagine what parking is going to be like in the busy Station Road area if so many new dwellings have insufficient spaces. Doesn't imply a great deal of foresight on the part of developers and the Council might benefit from a reality check.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Matt D.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service